Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1805304 - 04/16/13 09:35 PM CTR On Trust With Two SS#
djd Offline
I'n not sure how to complete this CTR. Here is the what I have.

Husband goes into branch A and makes a deposit of $6,100.00 in cash to account 1. Later in the day the wife goes into branch B and makes a deposit of $5,000.00 in cash to account 2.

Both of these accounts are set up in the same trust name. Account 1 is using the husband's SS# and account 2 is using the wife's SS#. I had the branch pull the trust certification and the trust does us the SS# of both.

How do I list this on the CTR?

Last edited by djd; 04/16/13 10:08 PM.
Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1805311 - 04/16/13 10:03 PM Re: CTR On Trust With Two SS# djd
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Is that even possible as I have never seen it? I guess I have to leave that to someone like Ken....

Return to Top
#1805340 - 04/17/13 10:14 AM Re: CTR On Trust With Two SS# djd
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
It's a stumper for me too; if there is a single trust, it should use a single TIN.

My guess is that when they merged "his" and "her" funds into the trust's ownership, they still kept their funds physically separate from one another. (There should be a 4 hour college course on the variations in how married couples handle their finances.) Reporting the trust's income on two different SSN's would have no effect on their joint income tax return. It's analogous to their having two joint accounts at your bank, one with her SSN and another with his, but it just doesn't quite feel right.

For the purposes of the CTR, I would list both H & W as conducting the transactions and list the trust twice, once with one SSN & account number and once with the other pair.

Yes, I made that up. If you call the Helpline they may make up a different answer for you. wink

Return to Top
#1805563 - 04/17/13 04:52 PM Re: CTR On Trust With Two SS# Elwood P. Dowd
djd Offline
I called the help desk and this is what I was told.

Do a Part l for the husband and select 2a. On the alternate name line list the trust. Complete the rest of Part l with his information. For the dollar amount list the amount of cash he brought in and the account number he deposited to. Then do the same thing for the wife. They said you wouldn't do a separate Part l for the trust because it doesn't have it's own TIN.

So we learned something new today.

Return to Top
#1805630 - 04/17/13 05:50 PM Re: CTR On Trust With Two SS# djd
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
They said you wouldn't do a separate Part l for the trust because it doesn't have it's own TIN.

That's really kind of cute...I told you they would make it up. Just put a note in the file and do what they said because this is not likely something anyone will see again.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z