Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1806231 - 04/18/13 08:07 PM Pulling credit on new accounts
Lilly C Offline
100 Club
Lilly C
Sunny Florida
Our bank pulls credit when opening a new account. We do this to verify OFAC and it also helps with address confirmation and helps with pre-qualifying customers for a Visa debit card. We also pull Chex Systems to check for any record of bad checks/nsf activity out there.
Is there any other bank out there puling credit too?
It recently came into question and I can't find any Visa rule requiring the bank to do so before issuing a card.
Help! The customer signs a new account application form informing them that we are going to do this.
The credit bureau bill is getting high. Are there any other systems out there that help with the pre-qualifying of debit cards?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1806271 - 04/18/13 09:43 PM Re: Pulling credit on new accounts Lilly C
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
helps with pre-qualifying customers for a Visa debit card.

Without an application for a debit card, you have no permissible purpose to use the credit report for pre-qualification purposes.

Return to Top
#1806326 - 04/19/13 12:36 PM Re: Pulling credit on new accounts Lilly C
Lilly C Offline
100 Club
Lilly C
Sunny Florida
Our new account application form is also our debit card application request. When they are opening an account they are also applying for online banking, debit cards and bill pay.

Return to Top
#1806332 - 04/19/13 12:44 PM Re: Pulling credit on new accounts Lilly C
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I know of no banks that are pulling both a credit report and a Cheksystems report. Seems to be a little overkill. I know few banks that even pull credit reports and usually stick to such things as Chexsystems on the deposit side.

Return to Top
#1806688 - 04/19/13 08:06 PM Re: Pulling credit on new accounts Lilly C
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
Some ChexSystem products utilize credit information and scores (Qualifile) as part of the decisioning process for account opening.

My instiution does not utilize credit scores. We pull a ChexSystem report (no score) to open an account, and pull a sperate credit report if they apply for a Visa Check Card.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett