Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1812075 - 05/08/13 01:44 PM Inheritance Tax - IH-14 and IH-19 Processing
Sonja Kriegsmann
Unregistered

It will no longer be necessary to complete the Consent to Transfer IH-14, and Notice of Transfer, IH-19, for those individuals dying after 12/31/2012. These forms will continue to be required for those individuals dying prior to 1/1/2013.

2013 HB 1001 repeals Indiana's inheritance tax for those dying after 12/31/2012. This legislation was passed by the Indiana Legislature on April 27, and was received by the Governor on May 4, 2013. If the Governor does not sign or veto the legislation, it will automatically become law after it sits on his desk for 7 days.

Donald Hopper, the Indiana Department of Revenue Inheritance Tax Administrator has made the following statement:

"I want to confirm to you and your organization that Indiana's inheritance tax has been repealed for those dying after 12/31/2012. The Indiana Legislature on April 27 passed legislation repealing our tax. While Indiana Governor Mike Pence has not yet signed the bill making it the official law, I am sure that he will do so in the next few days. I've already instructed Indiana County Assessors that they should no longer require Consents to Transfer (IH-14) or Notice of Intended Transfer of Checking Account (Form IH-19) or process Indiana Inheritance Tax Returns (Form IH-6) for those dying after 12/31/2012. I've also reminded them that our Consent and Notice requirement is still in effect for those dying before 1/1/2013.
As Administrator of Inheritance Tax, the Department of Revenue will not pursue any penalties and tax under Ind. Code 6-4.1-8-7 if any financial institution doesn't require a Consent to Transfer (Form IH-14) or Notice of Intended Transfer of Checking Account (Form IH-19) during this interim period before the Governor has officially signed the bill into law repealing our tax for those dying after 12/31/2012."

Please share this information with the appropriate individuals in your institution.

Return to Top
#1823351 - 06/13/13 05:28 PM Re: Inheritance Tax - IH-14 and IH-19 Processing
Obi Offline
100 Club
Since the IH-19 and IH-14 are no longer required, do we still need to obtain Letters Testamentary or Letters of Administration, or Affidavit for Delivery of Assets of a Decendent's Estate without Administration?

Return to Top
#1823354 - 06/13/13 05:33 PM Re: Inheritance Tax - IH-14 and IH-19 Processing
Sonja Kriegsmann
Unregistered

Yes, the forms are still needed.

You would still need to obtain Letters Testamentary or Letters of Administration to verify proper appointment of a personal representative of an estate.

If the other requirements are met and an account is being transferred to a claimant rather than to the personal representative of the estate an Affidavit for Delivery of Assets of a Decedent's Estate without Administration ("small estate affidavit" would still be needed.

Return to Top