Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1812503 - 05/09/13 12:23 PM Traveling to Hawaii
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
We are considering a family vacation for spring break next year to Hawaii, and I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions.

We're looking at condo type rentals by owner, but I'd love to get any suggestions from anyone who's been there.

The wife wants to do Oahu, so she can see the Pearl Harbor memorial.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1812513 - 05/09/13 12:58 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Watch Duck Dynasty Hawaii season finale for what not to do. but the Segway "jungle" tour seem interesting.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1812515 - 05/09/13 01:05 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm so envious B_F. Hawaii is on my bucket list.

Return to Top
#1812516 - 05/09/13 01:05 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
Island Dreaming Offline
100 Club
midwest
BF - we took a family vacation to Hawaii last year. I would suggest spending part of your time on Oahu for the memorial and other tourist attractions then island hopping to Maui or Kauai for a more laid back experience for the rest of your time - we found Oahu to be more commercialized than we'd like!

We also rented a condo from the owners while on Maui - it slept six - send me a PM and I will give you the owners direct contact info. It worked out beautifully for us!

Return to Top
#1812526 - 05/09/13 01:20 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Go to WhiteHouse.Gov and download the agenda from the last couple of vacations Obama and family took...if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for you!

Return to Top
#1812532 - 05/09/13 01:26 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I would mirror Pips. If its the first time Oahu needs to be on the list for the historical significance. Aslo see Kilauea Volcano. But Maui and Kauai feel like what you want Hawaii to be.

Return to Top
#1812552 - 05/09/13 01:50 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
We been to Hawaii twice, Maui and Lanai, but never to Oahu. I've heard a number of people say you can spend a day there, see Pearl Harbor, and then get to a less crowded island.

I love Maui. The geographic diversity is amazing, from lush tropical forests on the north to black volcanic wasteland in the south, and great beaches along the west coast. There are also some quaint upland villages like Makawao that have a different climate than the coastal cities.

We stayed on the Kanapali coast, north of Lahaina, and the snorkling right off the beach was incredible.

Two things most tourists do on Maui is to drive the Road to Hana along the north coast and drive up the volcano in the dark to see the sunrise. Some people cycle downhill after the sunrise. If you're a hiker, there is an awesome trail on the east side that winds through a bamboo forest, and ends up at waterfall.

We spent a week on Lanai in 2004. We loved it, but it's not for everyone. There is really nothing there except two very nice hotels with very nice golf courses. One is on the coast and the other is up in the mountains. The whole island used to be owned by Dole for growing pineapples, but no longer. There is only one very small, but very friendly, town, and a handful of restaurants. It's is a place to get away from the world. Quiet, solitude and romance is what it offers.

Return to Top
#1812571 - 05/09/13 02:16 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
We did the Maui and Oahu islands when we went, stay at the Kanapali Beach resort on Maui, saw an authentic Lua in Lahaina (The Old Jahaina Lua), Very Good! Went up and saw the Haleakala, amazing views. and Golfed.

Went over to Oahu for three days, Toured Pearl harbor, then took a bus tour of the island with "Cousin Tom, from Texas" :D, good way to see the isalnd and learn alot. Went to the palace. Saw the punch bowl crater and Diamond Head Crater. Oahu is very commerciized with "alley vendors" and shopping, I equated it to NY city on the beach.

Return to Top
#1812582 - 05/09/13 02:30 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Now onto the food part... If you're a Man vs. Food person. you will recognize the LARGE pancakes known as Mack-Daddy pancakes. They come in 5 flavors - we choose to try the Elvis ones. They came complete with multilayer stack of 3 gigantic cakes with tasty goodness... bananas, bacon, and peanut butter "icing". YUMMY! It was so huge, the two of us adults could only finish 1/2 of the stack.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mac-24-7-honolulu

CAMS

Return to Top
#1812595 - 05/09/13 02:41 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
The Kona side of the big island is really nice also.

Return to Top
#1812602 - 05/09/13 02:55 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
When you go to Oahu be sure to get a Puka Dog, great food experiance.

Also, you need to try the island traditional breakfst, the "Loco Moco".

Also you can order spam with your breakfast at McDonalds. sick

Return to Top
#1812627 - 05/09/13 03:36 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Hah, I'm allergic to spam, and other potted meat products that are totally disgusting smile

I do want to try all the local foods! (Especially fresh seafood!)

I hope I can find LOCAL restaurants. A lot of the condos we are looking at are saying things like "we're a block away from Red Lobster"... Why would I eat at Red Lobster while in Hawaii?!

Return to Top
#1812645 - 05/09/13 04:00 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
I will second the suggestions that you spend some time on Oahu (for Pearl/Diamond Head/Waikiki) and then travel to one of the other islands like Maui for an entirely different experience. Airfares for inter-island flights are very inexpensive, and it's like getting two vacations in one.

If you are on Waikiki, a great family thing to do is to go on an outrigger canoe ride. Guides paddle the canoe out (with the tourists assisting) and then the canoe catches a wave and you ride in to the beach like someone surfing. You get three waves, they take pictures as part of the deal and it's not all that expensive by Hawaii standards.

If you go to Maui, drive up the volcano, Haleakala. The top looks like a moonscape on the outside, but the crater is huge and colorful. You can see some of the other islands in the distance and there is a plant called a silversword that only grows at the top of two volcanoes in Hawaii. Just be aware that you are over 10,000 feet up and you lose 3 degrees for every 1000 feet of rise, so if it's in the high 70's at the bottom, it's likely in the high 40's at the top.

Return to Top
#1812688 - 05/09/13 05:01 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii Ted Dreyer
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: Ted Dreyer
I will second the suggestions that you spend some time on Oahu (for Pearl/Diamond Head/Waikiki) and then travel to one of the other islands like Maui for an entirely different experience. Airfares for inter-island flights are very inexpensive, and it's like getting two vacations in one.

If you are on Waikiki, a great family thing to do is to go on an outrigger canoe ride. Guides paddle the canoe out (with the tourists assisting) and then the canoe catches a wave and you ride in to the beach like someone surfing. You get three waves, they take pictures as part of the deal and it's not all that expensive by Hawaii standards.

If you go to Maui, drive up the volcano, Haleakala. The top looks like a moonscape on the outside, but the crater is huge and colorful. You can see some of the other islands in the distance and there is a plant called a silversword that only grows at the top of two volcanoes in Hawaii. Just be aware that you are over 10,000 feet up and you lose 3 degrees for every 1000 feet of rise, so if it's in the high 70's at the bottom, it's likely in the high 40's at the top.

Good points Ted.

And B-F, if you want good sea food, (Shrimp) go to the north shore while on Oahu, there are little huts on the beach and you can buy it by the bucket, great eats! This is also where the big waves are seen.

The water is amazingly clear.

Lots of good street vendors too.

Return to Top
#1812689 - 05/09/13 05:02 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii DD Regs
Peepers Offline
10K Club
while there, tell Dog to cut his hair

Return to Top
#1812715 - 05/09/13 05:39 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii DD Regs
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By: DD Regs

And B-F, if you want good sea food, (Shrimp) go to the north shore while on Oahu, there are little huts on the beach and you can buy it by the bucket, great eats! This is also where the big waves are seen.

The water is amazingly clear.

Lots of good street vendors too.

Or check out Bubba Gump in Lahaina, Maui laugh

Mama's Fish House in Paia, Maui is a must for fresh seafood.

Return to Top
#1812737 - 05/09/13 06:11 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I did do the Bubba Gump in Lahaina, got my picture taken in Forrest shoes on the bench. Then while in the restaraunt, my wife started laughing and said. smile, took my picture and kept laughing. I asked her whats so funny, so she showed me the camara. Just over my head was a sign that said, "Stupid is what stupid does" smirk

Also, had a great local fish, I think it was called "Ono" fish, while at Bubba's. VERY good!

Return to Top
#1812743 - 05/09/13 06:13 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
why would you eat red lobster anywhere?

how about a hike in a rainforest? helicopter tour of a volcano? take surfing lessons. paddle an outrigger.

Return to Top
#1812753 - 05/09/13 06:20 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Was Robert Sands arrested for paddling an outrigger? smile

CAMS

Return to Top
#1812756 - 05/09/13 06:21 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I've never been to Hawaii, but I hear it's best to fly there. Also, you may want to prepare for the trip by eating that Arby's™ new Hawaiian Roast Beef Sandwich™. The commercial makes it seem like it will give you a feel for what genuine Hawaiian cuisine tastes like.

Return to Top
#1812762 - 05/09/13 06:26 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Also, everywhere you go when there, hum or whistle the theme song to the original Hawaii Five-O, and ask every cop you see if his name is Dano!

Return to Top
#1812835 - 05/09/13 08:24 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
Zebra 15 Offline
Went to Oahu last fall. Stayed at Turtle Bay up on the North Shore. The seafood vendors were rather unique.
My #1 recommendation is to take a helicopter tour. We did the full island. Was pricey by my standards; but, reasonable by Oahu standards. We did the whole island; saw lots of scenery that we now see on some the TV shows; beautiful

Return to Top
#1812844 - 05/09/13 08:36 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Eat some humuhumunukunukuapuaa.

Return to Top
#1812966 - 05/10/13 12:53 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Oh, I plan on eating a lot of fish, BB! With or without Bacon!

Return to Top
#1812967 - 05/10/13 12:53 PM Re: Traveling to Hawaii B_F
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Anyone know if it's worth going to a coffee plantation? I love coffee, so I am tempted to try to do it while I'm there. I may never again be able to see the source of my morning's life blood!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2