Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1791031 - 03/04/13 04:06 PM Reporting a ReFi
Confused Again Offline
I just read the question below on BankersOnline Weekly and am confused? I thought refi's were only HMDA reportable when the both the new loan and the existing loan were with the same lender? Am I confused - again!

Question: I have a loan that appears to be a HMDA reportable Refinance, but not sure because we are not able to verify that the loan we are paying off was dwelling secured. The loan being paid off is with another institution. Should we report as a refinance?
Answer: You shouldn't report unless you know for sure. However, I wouldn't just drop it. I would ask and find out. I would think the borrower would be able to tell you.

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1791034 - 03/04/13 04:15 PM Re: Reporting a ReFi Confused Again
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
A refinance is any dwelling secured obligation that satisfies and replaces an existing dwelling secured obligation to the same borrower.

Return to Top
#1791043 - 03/04/13 04:34 PM Re: Reporting a ReFi Confused Again
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
[quote=Confused Again]I just read the question below on BankersOnline Weekly and am confused? I thought refi's were only HMDA reportable when the both the new loan and the existing loan were with the same lender? Am I confused - again! Very much so, unfortunately. HMDA reporting is based on the applicant/borrower, not the bank. See Dan's answer above.

Question: I have a loan that appears to be a HMDA reportable Refinance, but not sure because we are not able to verify that the loan we are paying off was dwelling secured. The loan being paid off is with another institution. Should we report as a refinance?
Answer: You shouldn't report unless you know for sure. However, I wouldn't just drop it. I would ask and find out. I would think the borrower would be able to tell you.

Further, while I hate to disagree with David, if you had any kind of title search done, as most banks do when doing a mortgage, you would see if the other loan was dwelling secured or not.

Return to Top
#1818240 - 05/29/13 05:27 PM Re: Reporting a ReFi Dan Persfull
peony Offline
Gold Star
peony
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull
A refinance is any dwelling secured obligation that satisfies and replaces an existing dwelling secured obligation to the same borrower.

What if the same borrower is refinancing an existing loan (paying out the old loan and replace with a new loan with the same collateral) but the co-borrower on the existing loan is not on the new loan? Haven't been about to find anything about it being the same borrower but dropping a co-borrower? Is it HMDA reportable as refinancing?

Return to Top
#1818251 - 05/29/13 05:39 PM Re: Reporting a ReFi Confused Again
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
It's still a refinance for HMDA.
Reg C doesn't say "to ALL the same borrower(s)" but rather to the same borrower.

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM