BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1825253 - 06/19/13 08:03 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
maybe this is why they are trying ot give away so many free phones to the masses...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1825262 - 06/19/13 08:19 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Return to Top
#1825322 - 06/19/13 09:32 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I'm going to get a large black golf umbrella and line it with tinfoil.

Return to Top
#1825324 - 06/19/13 09:36 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
In some respects, I can see how reviewing all phone records if even just to see the numbers called could help ID terrorists.

If I'm calling someone in Syria or Afghanistan on a regular basis, maybe there's a reason to look a little closer at me versus someone who only makes calls to the same domestic numbers much like we all do. Let's face it, everyone has patterns and reviewing those patterns for variations or connections to known terrorist areas is most likely a key tool for detecting potential terrorists.

Return to Top
#1825329 - 06/19/13 09:51 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. Norman Paperman
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Garret01
I can't figure out why this has been such a hot topic from the get go. Who cares if the NSA/CIA/whomever data mines every phone call made. Who cares? If you aren't doing anything wrong then why worry about it?

Did you know that some people have been wrongly labeled as terrorists through this type of monitoring? That's one reason why you need to worry about it, Garret01.

P.S. And if you're not worried about yourself, then what about being worried for your kids and grandkids sake?
Last edited by buggs; 06/19/13 09:53 PM.
Return to Top
#1825339 - 06/19/13 10:14 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I have my doubts that a Compliance Officer from the Midwest is going to be labeled a terrorist while ordering his General Tao's #3 combo.

I'll be sure my kids and grandkids follow the Ben Stillar rule and don't say the word B*m* on a plane.

smile - My grandfather was a bombardier.

CRCM

Return to Top
#1825345 - 06/19/13 10:53 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Your doubts are based on your faith in the competence of our government, my friend. Have you heard about this little agency called the IRS? smile

Return to Top
#1825375 - 06/20/13 12:59 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: buggs
Your doubts are based on your faith in the competence of our government, my friend. Have you heard about this little agency called the IRS? smile

Truer words, never spoke. Excellent point.

Return to Top
#1825379 - 06/20/13 01:04 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. MB Guy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
In some respects, I can see how reviewing all phone records if even just to see the numbers called could help ID terrorists.

If I'm calling someone in Syria or Afghanistan on a regular basis, maybe there's a reason to look a little closer at me versus someone who only makes calls to the same domestic numbers much like we all do. Let's face it, everyone has patterns and reviewing those patterns for variations or connections to known terrorist areas is most likely a key tool for detecting potential terrorists.

A friend of mine is from Syria, has ived in the US for 15+ years, but still has family in Syria and he calls them regularly, especially with the issues going over there now. I fail to see how identifying that he calls Syria - and rememebr, they are not listening to phone calls, only recording the numbers called too and from - in any way would prevent a terrotist attck. Having a phone number and knowing how long someone talked provides zero information regarding terrorism - it provides nothing of substance.

Return to Top
#1825382 - 06/20/13 01:06 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Lets not blow this out of proportion, it is not like they are going to check the telephone numbers vs the telephone numbers of companies with the name "tea party" or "patriot" and feed the info to the irs for tax retuns to flag.

Wait a miniute. eek

CAMS

Return to Top
#1825383 - 06/20/13 01:07 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
yeah, ain't nobody got time for that

Return to Top
#1825384 - 06/20/13 01:09 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By: MB Guy

A friend of mine is from Syria, has ived in the US for 15+ years, but still has family in Syria and he calls them regularly, especially with the issues going over there now. I fail to see how identifying that he calls Syria - and rememebr, they are not listening to phone calls, only recording the numbers called too and from - in any way would prevent a terrotist attck. Having a phone number and knowing how long someone talked provides zero information regarding terrorism - it provides nothing of substance.

you can not possibly think that the politicals (both sides)have said it stopped 50 terrorist attacks. shocked

CAMS

Return to Top
#1825395 - 06/20/13 01:13 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
but they won't say what attacks it stopped...i have zero belief they have stopped anything with just a phone number.

Think of it this way - Russia notified us that the Boston bomber was an issue, and we couldn't even track him, much less stop his bombing. So, even with credible first hand information from another intelligence service we could do nothing - how is a phone number going to stop an attack.

Return to Top
#1825402 - 06/20/13 01:18 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
but they won't say what attacks it stopped...i have zero belief they have stopped anything with just a phone number.

That is confidential

Trust us we are the Government.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1825415 - 06/20/13 01:22 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. edAudit
Peepers Offline
10K Club
it's unclassified

Return to Top
#1825758 - 06/20/13 06:59 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
Wonderofitall Offline
100 Club
Wonderofitall
Out West
It'll never happen, Ed. The masses can only be awakend by news about a Kardashian, American Idol, or you-tube videos of cats. How can a potential violation of the constitution compete?

Return to Top
#1825761 - 06/20/13 07:09 PM Re: The terrorists are winning. buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
New flash to the masses; as all of the phone numbers were viewed that would included the phone numbers of the Kardashian's. Since the youtube videos of cats are on the internet someone may have been keeping track of who visited the site.

Better?

CAMS

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2