Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1827881 - 06/26/13 05:31 PM Reg E - False Unauthorized Transaction Claims
JoeTex Offline
New Poster
In order to comply with Reg E error resolution procedures, how should a bank handle disputes in which a customer is obviously claiming transactions are unauthorized in order to receive provisional credit? I am referring to instances where customers are in need of funds to pay bills, so the customer calls the bank's customer service line and claims that all debit card transactions for several months were unauthorized. Is the bank required to investigate every transaction or can the bank investigate a small number of transactions to determine that the customer was authorizing the transactions. Or, is there a better way to handle this type of dispute and still be in compliance of Regulation E?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1827901 - 06/26/13 05:54 PM Re: Reg E - False Unauthorized Transaction Claims JoeTex
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If I felt that was the case, I would definitely be concluding my investigation (one way or the other) within 10 days.

Return to Top
#1828219 - 06/27/13 03:27 PM Re: Reg E - False Unauthorized Transaction Claims JoeTex
KC Danimal Offline
Platinum Poster
KC Danimal
Kansas City
I would finish my investigation and then close the card or better yet the account. I don't have time to play games.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett