Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#183340 - 04/23/04 03:32 PM Sacrifice
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The NFL inside story.

From CNN: -- Former NFL player Pat Tillman killed in action while serving in U.S. Army in Afghanistan, CNN confirms.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#183341 - 04/23/04 04:05 PM Re: Sacrifice
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Thank you,
I will mention Pat to my second grade football team.

Return to Top
#183342 - 04/23/04 04:10 PM Re: Sacrifice
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
That really got to me. Thanks, Andy, for making me stop and think.

Return to Top
#183343 - 04/23/04 04:27 PM Re: Sacrifice
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
What an incredible American. I heard this on the radio this morning and remembered the big deal it was when he turned down that contract. What a selfless person.

Return to Top
#183344 - 04/23/04 04:55 PM Re: Sacrifice
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
In this day and time of bratty, selfish, media-hungry sports stars, Pat Tillman was a breath of fresh air. His enlistment was not a media stunt; he did not seek the media attention and gave no interviews. I pray for his wife, friends, and family. I am forever grateful to him.

Return to Top
#183345 - 04/26/04 10:06 PM Re: Sacrifice
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I hope I never again hear a commentator refer to an athlete in the heat of competition as a "warrior." Pat Tillman has demonstrated to the ultimate degree exactly what a true warrior is.

Whether you agree with the conduct of the war or not, you must admit that this man heeded a higher call than pure self-interest. Such devotion and selflessness, by its very rariety, shines all the brighter.

Pat Tillman was one athlete who would serve as an excellent role model, though I strongly suspect he would reject the role. True examples often do.

Return to Top
#183346 - 04/27/04 02:09 AM Re: Sacrifice
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I wasn't aware, but my dad told me they offered him a commission (to be an officer) but he wanted to be a "do-er". He didn't want to be behind the action or an ad, he wanted to be in the thick of it.

God rest his soul.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#183347 - 04/27/04 02:38 PM Re: Sacrifice
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
Now that is a true American hero.

Return to Top
#183348 - 04/27/04 04:18 PM Re: Sacrifice
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Sitting here waiting for the news to announce if Melissa's sisters will go back to the front. She's the one of three Wisconsin sisters killed in action just weeks before she was due to come home.

I admire Pat Tillman, Melissa and all the others brave enough to fight for our freedom in wars declared or not.

Return to Top
#183349 - 04/28/04 04:37 PM Re: Sacrifice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes Pat Tillman is a true American hero. But so are each d everyone of those men and women who come back in a coffin. So are each and everyone og those young men and women that are in those war zones so that we can live in a free country. Remember that not one of them was drafted...they all are all there because they stepped up to the line. When you see a young man or woman in uniform please sure to thank them for their service.

Return to Top
#183350 - 04/28/04 04:57 PM Re: Sacrifice
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
Well said anon. Every service member is a hero.

Return to Top
#183351 - 04/28/04 08:04 PM Re: Sacrifice
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
I wasn't surpised by the fact that Tag opened the NFL draft by paying homage to both Pat Tillman and all the other heros that have died for our country and for the sake of freedom in Iraq. I am surprised, however, that the Arizona Cardinals now plan to name their new stadium Tillman Memorial Stadium and put a memorial to all those who have died in service to our country in front.

And as for "all the others", how many of them left behind a job paying millions of dollars a year, of their own will, in defiance of what was expected of them, to sacrifice themselves for their country? I applaud any serviceman for their sacrifice, but Pat Tillman's sacrifice was far above and beyond enlisting in the military to pay for college and being sent to war.

Return to Top
#183352 - 04/28/04 08:23 PM Re: Sacrifice
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
It urks me when people assume that a soldier enlisted to pay for college.
My brother joined right after high school. He always wanted to be a soldier, to follow in my father's footsteps. He served our country proud for 9 years of his life, after re-enlisting at four years. He passed way at home after fighting is Kosovo, Bosnia, and Operation Anaconda in Afganistan.
My husband enlisted at 27-after getting his Bachelor's-and does not want to be an officer just yet. He enlisted during war time with this need to be a part of something bigger in the scheme of things. His battle buddy is 24 yrs old with a degree in CIS, but too, enlisted to serve our country rather than work in corporate America.
Leadership, duty, honor, integrity, respect, selfless service, and pride are what drives our armed forces.

It is all about choices, I commend Mr. Tillman and ALL our soldiers who choose to enlist to protect our freedoms.

Sorry for the rant, but as you can tell, I take this issue to heart.

Return to Top
#183353 - 04/28/04 08:42 PM Re: Sacrifice
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Yes Pat Tillman is a true American hero. But so are each d everyone of those men and women who come back in a coffin. So are each and everyone og those young men and women that are in those war zones so that we can live in a free country. Remember that not one of them was drafted...they all are all there because they stepped up to the line. When you see a young man or woman in uniform please sure to thank them for their service.

I don't think anyone is saying that he is a hero and the other dead are not. I do not think his death or the attention from it detracts from the others who have "given" their lives for our country. I think Pat Tillman's enlistment and eventual death is an example of what is right with our young and at the same time it holds a mirror up to what is wrong. I hope our young get the message, loud and clear, from Mr. Tillman and all those who are voluntarily serving our country!

Cherish--All respect and honor to your brother and your husband.

Return to Top
#183354 - 04/28/04 08:54 PM Re: Sacrifice
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
Thank you so very much Huddie. I didn't mean to derail there, but my response was to this comment:
Quote:

And as for "all the others", how many of them left behind a job paying millions of dollars a year, of their own will, in defiance of what was expected of them, to sacrifice themselves for their country? I applaud any serviceman for their sacrifice, but Pat Tillman's sacrifice was far above and beyond enlisting in the military to pay for college and being sent to war.

No, my husband was not getting paid a million dollars and then decided to join. And yes, there are benefits (medical, housing, college, etc.) to service members, but that does not take away from the sacrifice made.

Return to Top
#183355 - 04/28/04 09:07 PM Re: Sacrifice
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
I don't think Tillman's sacrifice was any greater or any less than any of the other soldiers who have sacrificed their lives. A man like Tillman would scoff at such a notion. What Tillman did was display the content of his character. He would have enlisted if he were a garbageman or the next Ronnie Lott. Proof of this is in the fact that he wouldn't allow any media coverage or interviews. Tillman's story touches us, I think, because his circumstance is a clear picture of what each and every one of those young people walk away from when they enlist. Tillman had a chance at millions. Those "millions" represent the futures, the families, the friends, the security that many walk away from so that they might defend it. They may be giving up education, position, the chance to spend their life with someone special. No one can guarantee them that they will return home alive. And yet, these kids, many of them barely able to drive and not old enough to drink, make sacrifices. Then there are those who have a wife/husband and children. Those who stand by their commitment to their country so that loved ones may live in peace and safety. So that they may live in America- the greatest country on the earth- free from tyranny and terror.

Thanks to them all, and to their families who keep constant vigil, awaiting their return.

Return to Top
#183356 - 04/28/04 09:13 PM Re: Sacrifice
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Well said Dawg. Tillman is a (reluctantly) high profile example of what many of our country's finest have given and given up!!

Return to Top
#183357 - 05/01/04 02:56 PM Re: Sacrifice
BettyBoop Offline
100 Club
Penna.
I believe all of are miltary men adn women are heroes. Having lived the military life I know what asacrifice it is and it is a struggle. It is a selfless choice to serve.
I was moved by the Tillman story, and I'm sure there are many of the same stories out there.
Let's keep all our military in our prayers, to keep them safe and give them strength to continue to keep us safe.

Return to Top
#183358 - 05/03/04 06:41 PM Re: Sacrifice
OnTheEdge Offline
Diamond Poster
SmallTown, USA
I too am proud of the vast majority of our military. The photos released this past weekend saddend me for several reasons. The most significant reason is that the actions of a few will likely bring additional hardships to our country and those that serve with integrity and honor.

Return to Top
#183359 - 05/03/04 06:45 PM Re: Sacrifice
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Human nature is such that good and evil are found in all groups of people. I too hope that the majority of service people all over the world will not be judged by the ignorance and irreverance of a few.

Return to Top
#183360 - 05/10/04 12:39 AM Re: Sacrifice
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
And we should not forget all others who served our country. I took this Sunday, Mothers Day at the Vietnam War Memorial. Moms are Sweet

Return to Top
#183361 - 05/11/04 04:49 PM Re: Sacrifice
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks so much for sharing the picture...my husband is a Vietnam Veteran....enough said..

Return to Top
#183362 - 05/24/04 02:34 PM Re: Sacrifice
Melissa H Offline
USA
I took my grandmother to the cemetery this last weekend to put flags and flowers on my grandfather's stone. I still can't stop thinking about another grave I saw not more than 5 away from my grandfather's. He died last November at the age of 23 surrounding his stone was a purple heart, flags, flowers, an angel and a child's toy bracelet. Words can't describe the amount of gratitude I have for those who have sacraficed their lives for us.

Return to Top
#183363 - 03/04/06 11:35 PM Re: Sacrifice
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
From CNN Saturday, 3-4-06:

-- A criminal probe is being opened into the death of former NFL star Pat Tillman, who was killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan.

I'm not sure what this is about.

Return to Top
#183364 - 03/04/06 11:52 PM Re: Sacrifice
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
According to the U.K. Guardian website, a Pentagon official (anonymous) said the investigation would focus on possible charges of negligent homicide.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett