Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#183466 - 04/23/04 06:47 PM Do you use your full name??
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
This is really more of a gripe than anything. More and more I notice that people only use their first names when answering the phone or leaving a message. I have always used my full name and have always instructed my staff to use their full name (except for collections people!). It really annoys me to receive a message from "Jessica" and when I return the call I am asked "Which One?" I am just curious: How many of you use only your first name at work?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#183467 - 04/23/04 06:49 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
We only use last names in the loan department letters and officers always do. Personally with work I do because there are 2 of us with the same name, but nobody else does except on the letters.

Return to Top
#183468 - 04/23/04 06:50 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I do. But then my name is somewhat unusual and I'm the only one in any of my given offices. What I think is funny is when there is only one, say, Jane at the office, and everyone STILL calls that person by their full name. As if there might be some confusion over exactly which Jane is being referenced.

However, for clients and in professional writing I always use my full name.

Return to Top
#183469 - 04/23/04 07:07 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
trinna Offline
Gold Star
trinna
Midwest
What's so unusual about ExGovtBabe?

Return to Top
#183470 - 04/23/04 07:17 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I use my full name in letters, but not when answering the phone. I'll wait until I become a loan officer before I do that

But when that time comes (knock on wood), I'll change my name from Jonathon back to Jon, cause it is a lot less syllables to say on the phone!

Return to Top
#183471 - 04/23/04 07:19 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Voice mail is full name, however when I answer it's usually just my first name. As far as I know there is only one other with that name in the world.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#183472 - 04/23/04 07:19 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I use my full name on my voice mail, and my full name when I am leaving a message for a personally unknown individual, but when answering my office phone, I always use my first name. My last name is 9+6 letters (hyphenated) and quite a mouthful. Besides, no one ever calls the compliance officer anyway! LOL...

PS-Always a full name in letters and memos, I don't have to say it...
Last edited by Maria KFSB; 04/23/04 07:20 PM.

Return to Top
#183473 - 04/23/04 07:22 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I use my first name when I answer the phone. But I must add, in order to reach me, people must go through our receptionist or they call my direct line after I have given them the number, as it is not listed. Also, like EGB my name is unusual and not mistaken for someone else in the office.

Return to Top
#183474 - 04/23/04 08:15 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Full name (to include middle initial) on letters, emails, etc. First name only when on the phone. When I leave a voice mail, I give my first name and DIRECT line.

Return to Top
#183475 - 04/23/04 09:24 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
first name when answering.. i always leave my full name in messages, though i am the only person with my name in my whole bank (400+) so the good thing is i don't get confused with others... bad thing is every one knows who I am.

Return to Top
#183476 - 04/23/04 09:43 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Pippi Offline
100 Club
Pippi
Ugh, I have one of the most common names of all time for a first name, and unfortunately have the last name which also happens to be the name of one of the most famous cities on earth... So, I HATE using my last name because everyone then feels the need to make some corny joke about it.
But, I always use a shortened form of my first name, so that when I'm at home and they use my full name I know they want something from me!

Return to Top
#183477 - 04/26/04 11:28 AM Re: Do you use your full name??
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I use my first name when answer the phone and it's someone in the bank. If it's an outside number and I can't recognize it, I use first and last names.

On leaving messages - it depends on who it's for. If it's a co-worker I only use first. If it's someone outside of the bank that I don't know, I use first and last. Both are used on my voicemail message. My name is also a bit unusual and I am the only one here with that name.

Return to Top
#183478 - 04/26/04 02:13 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Telephone calls--first name only, but I say it rather slowly and usually have to repeat and spell it anyway; letters--first and last. I am probably the only one in the state (maybe even 6 states) with this first name but we have another at the bank with the same last name and we often get calls asking for Mr. *****, when they really want me!!!

Return to Top
#183479 - 04/26/04 03:15 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Even if I leave my whole name on a voice mail (and spell it), if the person doesn't know me, they think I said my name wrong and correct it for me. You can't win!

Return to Top
#183480 - 04/26/04 03:42 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Anonymous
Unregistered

The professional telephone training classes provided for call center personeel at no cost by prinicipal carriers -- e.g., SBC, Verizon, whomever -- always state that the full name of the bank employee denotes someone who is willing, capable, and authorized to take "ownership" of an issue.

There is nothing worse for a customer calling about a loan servicing question, and who asks with whom they are speaking, only to be told: "My name is Karen, that's all you need to know"; or, "I'm the only Karen here".

The purpose of providing a full name is so that the customer is provided with unique identification of the employee, for follow-up purposes in the event of having to later identify who the employee was. An acceptable alternative is to provide employees with unique numbers, etc., such as: "My name is Karen, I'm employee number 29378." This way, the employee doesn't reveal their last name, but the customer is satisfied that he/she has received a unique identifier to validate that the discussion was held.

Professional level employees would always be expected to give their full names. Some back office functions with high call volume have operations-level employees who use first names only, but in these instances an employee identifier (such as an employee number) should always be provided.

Take the example of the IRS or the Postal Service. If you call the toll-free IRS number, or the Postal Service Center in Wash., D.C., employees not only identify themselves by full name, but they also give out an employee number. That conveys a professional message: I'm here to serve you, provide you with excellent service, and take ownership to provide you with a solution.

Return to Top
#183481 - 04/26/04 03:52 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also, in many instances in which a customer reveals SSN, DOB, address, account number, etc., it is reasonable that the customer would want to know with whom they are speaking when they have just provided detailed personal data that could be misused by a poorly supervised bank employee.

Return to Top
#183482 - 04/26/04 07:56 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Posted this a couple years ago, so please forgive, but I like the story:

Texas bank near federal correctional facility for men: Inmates (clearly with large amounts of time on their hands) would often write or call the bank concerning their accounts. They were extremely grateful for the prompt, courteous attention their phone calls and letters received from one of the bank's employees, Adelle Martin. After their release from prison, several stopped by the bank with a gift of candy or flowers for Miss Adelle. (One was hoping to take her to lunch.) Unfortunately, in each case, they learned that Ms. Martin no longer worked there and the bank had no information on how to get in touch with her.

There never was an Adelle Martin employed in the bank. However, when a letter, a call or a caller was received for her, bank employees automatically realized they were dealing with an inmate; someone with whom they might not want to develop a personal relationship; "Adelle" was a useful tool who allowed them to be at their best when dealing with their customers.

Return to Top
#183483 - 04/26/04 08:12 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
trinna Offline
Gold Star
trinna
Midwest
Arrghhh! I just called one of our branches where the supervisor and one of her employees share the same first name. Well, one of them answered the phone using only their first name so I had to ask which one I was talking to and got a snotty little voice when she responded. I wanted to yank her face off. Sorry, just had to rant. Now breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, .......

Return to Top
#183484 - 04/26/04 09:07 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
We had that situation here at one of our branches. The manager and one employee shared a first name and had VERY similar last names. The employee began using his middle name. He is now a branch manager himself, using his middle name. It saved a LOT of confusion for us as well as for our customers.

Return to Top
#183485 - 04/26/04 10:49 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
We have a very similar problem - the Info Sec Offcr, Supply Mgr, Invstmt Mgr, a Commcl Lndr, Credit Admin Mgr, and I - Training Offcr - all have the same first name - our poor call center - I pity them when someone calls and asks for "XXX"!

Return to Top
#183486 - 04/27/04 08:26 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
With folks I know, (including clients I am friendly with) I use only my first name. They of course don't call a call center to find Dawn, they have my direct line and know who they're calling.

With people I don't know I use my full name. I also do so most often when leaving a message, even for clients because to be frank, we all think we're special...but sometimes those messages "This is Dawn at First Something...can you give me a call" makes us all draw a blank Is that Dawn at the local branch, Dawnie in corporate? or Dawn the wino from the club?

Oh and as a lender, same policy If they know me it's Dawn...if not it's Dawn Last Name I like my clients to be comfortable with me...feel like a friend, which always instills more loyalty. It's much easier to leave a lender you don't know very well, it's harder to do so when you're on a first name basis and consider them a friend.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#183487 - 04/27/04 09:26 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
So Dawnie, are you "Dawnie in corporate? or Dawn the wino from the club? "?
or both?

Return to Top
#183488 - 04/27/04 10:09 PM Re: Do you use your full name??
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Heh heh umm I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that ummm I umm don't want to! (I have a case of wine under my desk...it's possible that both apply)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top