Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1835104 - 07/22/13 04:13 PM Cash Transfers by employees between branches
creditunionmass Offline
New Poster
While cash transfers from one branch to another (2 employees take $ in their personal vehicle, unarmed) is of course very dangerous and should not be done under any circumstances, are there any regulations (NCUA) or otherwise that specifically address and/or prohibit this?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#1835153 - 07/22/13 05:51 PM Re: Cash Transfers by employees between branches creditunionmass
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I think your best guidance might come from your insurance company. If something happens, I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't reimburse you for losses.

I don't think there's anything else that would address this, aside from common sense frown

Return to Top
#1835324 - 07/22/13 09:36 PM Re: Cash Transfers by employees between branches creditunionmass
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
They are performing credit union business in their personal vehicle. Good luck with the lawsuit.

Return to Top
#1835382 - 07/23/13 03:07 AM Re: Cash Transfers by employees between branches creditunionmass
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yeah, especially if wrongful death is involved.

Return to Top
#1839261 - 08/05/13 12:54 AM Re: Cash Transfers by employees between branches creditunionmass
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
My how time and thought processes change... My first job at a credit union and I was transporting thousands in cash in my hoopty between branches quite regularly and never thought about the risk involved in doing so... When I was 16!

Never would I condone this today, even if the branch is just on the other side of town.

Return to Top
#1839263 - 08/05/13 01:27 AM Re: Cash Transfers by employees between branches creditunionmass
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
First time I personally became aware of this was at a bank and they were moving about $50 to $100,000 in a van with bank name on it! Facilities staff was transporting. It stopped that day. No one outside of branches and facilities knew it was happening. I forget how I found out.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1839279 - 08/05/13 01:32 PM Re: Cash Transfers by employees between branches #Just Jay
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: #Just Jay
My how time and thought processes change... My first job at a credit union and I was transporting thousands in cash in my hoopty between branches quite regularly and never thought about the risk involved in doing so... When I was 16!

Never would I condone this today, even if the branch is just on the other side of town.

I remember those days; my favorite was when I had to park far away in a large mall (Holiday time) and was walking through the mall and parking lot with $100,000 in cash in my pockets so not one would see it. Never again.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1840247 - 08/07/13 05:49 PM Re: Cash Transfers by employees between branches creditunionmass
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I closed a branch one Friday afternoon after an FDIC failed bank purchase and me and another gentleman had to transport the remaining cash to a branch about 40 minutes away and then catch the last airplane out of town that night which was another hour away.

We screwed up the timer on the vault and had to wait another 20 minutes to try again. We were driving to other branch at about 100 MPH with about $125,000 stacked on the dashboard so he could fine count it before we dropped it at the other branch. If the sheriff would have stopped us, I'm really not sure how that conversation would have started or ended smile

Return to Top
#1841791 - 08/12/13 08:36 PM Re: Cash Transfers by employees between branches creditunionmass
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The wild life of Randy Carey!
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z