Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1826150 - 06/21/13 04:31 PM Vault Cash Counts
JustMe! Offline
Gold Star
wishful thinking ...
As an internal auditor performing a branch audit, do you piece count the vault?

We require the branch to have their vault piece counted during their monthly cash audits. When we perform a branch audit we strap count all money in the vault and then randomly select bundles and piece count them. We also piece count in mutilated money that is in the vault.

Return to Top
Audit
#1826157 - 06/21/13 04:48 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts JustMe!
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
We do the same thing that you do, strap count everything, and then pick a sample of bundles to piece count. We also fan the bundles to make sure the bundles are all the same denomination.

Return to Top
#1829421 - 07/01/13 08:20 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts JustMe!
fousto Offline
New Poster
Ohio
We do the same as you.

Return to Top
#1829680 - 07/02/13 04:06 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts JustMe!
She Golfs Offline
massachusetts
We have done away with audit verification of teller cash. In place we have branch managers conduct quarterly surprise counts of each teller, ATM and vault reporting the results to the audit department for tracking. This system has worked very well for over three years. This fits nicely into our "risk based" approach to audit as cash is a relatively low number on our balance sheet and the time is well spent on other areas.

Return to Top
#1829782 - 07/02/13 05:53 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts JustMe!
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
We strap count everything, piece count all $100s and $50s, and take a sample of other denominations to piece count.

Return to Top
#1829785 - 07/02/13 05:53 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts JustMe!
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
Forgot to mention, we do not piece count $1s at all, just the strap count.

Return to Top
#1829820 - 07/02/13 06:36 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts She Golfs
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Originally Posted By: She Golfs
We have done away with audit verification of teller cash. In place we have branch managers conduct quarterly surprise counts of each teller, ATM and vault reporting the results to the audit department for tracking. This system has worked very well for over three years. This fits nicely into our "risk based" approach to audit as cash is a relatively low number on our balance sheet and the time is well spent on other areas.

We did this at the first bank I worked at, and it did work out great. I tried to sell the same process here, but I could not get management and the audit committee to buy into it.

But for it to work, the branch managers have to truly do a random, surprise audit, not a "random" audit on the third Wednesday of every month.

Return to Top
#1829877 - 07/02/13 07:56 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts Hobbes
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
They way we got rid of it was to total the expense of sending us to count cash. The numbers don't work. Not to mention the time lost auditing things of higher risk.

But Backstreets is right....if the managers aren't doing it randomly, you've lost. At my current bank, I surprise them when I'm in town and have one mgr count another on a surprise basis and submit the forms to audit. Keeps them on their toes.

Return to Top
#1829878 - 07/02/13 07:57 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts Cornfed Turtle
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
To answer the original question though..... my auditors and I count straps in the vault, spot-count the straps and then fan. Fully piece count a drawer.

Return to Top
#1830166 - 07/03/13 03:56 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts JustMe!
JustMe! Offline
Gold Star
wishful thinking ...
Thank you all for your responses and ideas.

Return to Top
#1840728 - 08/08/13 05:18 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts JustMe!
dgau Offline
New Poster
Per the Board and management I MUST piece count the high denominations ($100s & $50s) and sample the lower denominations ($20s, $10s and some $5s). Singles are strap counted and fanned.

The reason - Our CEO was a member of another bank's board. That bank suffered an $80,000 loss from their vault under a "strap" count only system. The "long-time, trusted employee" who ALWAYS assisted with the vault counts was simply passing the same, previouly looked at, straps to the auditor! And not surprisingly, the vault always balanced!

Which also points out another good procedure - initial and date the straps you've counted!

Return to Top
#1840786 - 08/08/13 06:07 PM Re: Vault Cash Counts JustMe!
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yeah, but a loan officer makes a bad loan and it costs the bank $500,000 and they chalk it up to the risk associated with lending. Same applies here.

Plus, your real problem was the following. Anyone associated with the vault cannot be involved in the audit process. This was a typical internal control problem, not with the counting.

The "long-time, trusted employee" who ALWAYS assisted with the vault counts was simply passing the same

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z