Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1840446 - 08/08/13 11:27 AM Error resolution - Have you developed a template?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
For banks that are intending to undertake this, if you initiate a covered transaction and the consumer alleges an "error" how does your bank expect to research and resolve the issue? I'm not looking for an explanation of the regulation, only a sketch of what your investigatory efforts would be; e.g. are you expecting to turn the problem over to your intermediary bank, contact the beneficiary bank in Kuala Lampur, Brussels or Riyadh?

What's the plan?

Return to Top
Remittance Transfer Rule
#1840811 - 08/08/13 06:43 PM Re: Error resolution - Have you developed a template? Elwood P. Dowd
zitch70 Offline
Gold Star
Edinburg, Texas
We have a reg E dept that takes care of reg E notices of error. They will also, do these, no changes in procedures.

Notice of error received by branch, teller, operations center, call center, etc will forward the notice to that dept.

We do over 250 exchanges or transfers per month. We have not had any problems to date. So we do not anticipate any errors when this is effective.

Return to Top
#1841505 - 08/12/13 02:38 PM Re: Error resolution - Have you developed a template? zitch70
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Thank you. Does anyone else have some thoughts on what they intend to do here?

Return to Top
#1842815 - 08/15/13 03:55 PM Re: Error resolution - Have you developed a template? Elwood P. Dowd
VMack Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Ken,
I had really hoped the resolution process for error could be turned over to the intermediary bank. However, ours hasn't even developed a process for receipts yet. frown

Is it possible to look to the intermediary bank to handle that process?

“The wise know their limitations; the foolish do not.”
Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Return to Top
#1842850 - 08/15/13 04:48 PM Re: Error resolution - Have you developed a template? Elwood P. Dowd
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The intermediary bank may well be part of your process, but if you're the bank the consumer/sender dealt with, you're the provider, and you're responsible for the error resolution process.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1842902 - 08/15/13 06:05 PM Re: Error resolution - Have you developed a template? Elwood P. Dowd
VMack Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
John,
Since we will not have access to anything other than the initial request, how will we be expected to conduct the investigation? How are other banks planning to do this?

“The wise know their limitations; the foolish do not.”
Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Return to Top
#1843046 - 08/16/13 12:26 PM Re: Error resolution - Have you developed a template? VMack
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Hence, the initial post... The banks I've spoken with are focused on getting the information for the disclosures. From my perspective, that's the least of the problems involved.

The issue I'm trying to raise is not how banks are going to get the exchange rate they quote, but what it is they are going to do when it turns out the exchange rate was incorrect and the recipient receives less than disclosed. (I'm aware that estimates can be used initially.)

Return to Top
#1843069 - 08/16/13 01:28 PM Re: Error resolution - Have you developed a template? Elwood P. Dowd
zitch70 Offline
Gold Star
Edinburg, Texas
We use the SPOTs system. When a customer orders an exchange of currency the rate quote is locked for that transaction. The exchange of currency will be completed within the day.

Consumers usually is transferring dollars from their account to their peso account in Mexico. Our consumers are wealthy and moving tens of thousand dollars at a time. We do not have the consumers moving a hundred dollars. Our fee is too high for the small consumer.

Return to Top