Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1840982 - 08/09/13 11:02 AM 2012 Performance Context - Not Lending in CT
Tennismom Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennismom
Would anyone have suggestions on an efficient way to analyze the census tracts where we have not originated loans?

I did this prior to 2012 and recall the process was quite labor intensive. (Take a census tract map then locate on a Google or Bing map and drill down to the census tract and identify possible "anomalies" within the area - cemeteries, lakes, housing projects, train depots, colleges, parks, etc.).

With the changes in census tracts for 2012 lending data (2010 census) I am starting from scratch and cannot rely on the work completed in 2011 and prior since the tracts have changed.

There has to be an easier way!!
Last edited by tennismom; 08/09/13 11:03 AM.
Return to Top
CRA
#1840983 - 08/09/13 11:17 AM Re: 2012 Performance Context - Not Lending in CT Tennismom
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Mapping software, your own or via a third party, can place most of those on a map with tracts.

From the FFIEC data you can tell bytract population below poverty level, numberof rental properties (so residents won't be requesting mortgages, etc.)
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1840995 - 08/09/13 01:01 PM Re: 2012 Performance Context - Not Lending in CT Tennismom
Tennismom Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennismom
Thanks Kathleen,

I use mapping software but it often does not identify such things as a quarry, housing authority complex, recreation complex/center, manufacturing facility, assisted living facility, amusement parks, etc. which can/may affect lending in the census tract.

Return to Top
#1840999 - 08/09/13 01:07 PM Re: 2012 Performance Context - Not Lending in CT Tennismom

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Those very specific things can be tough. I would think you need to overlay a tract map on a Google type map, with those "items".

You should be able to sort out low population tracts, low housing, high poverty, etc. using the FFIEC demographic data.

Return to Top
#1841141 - 08/09/13 03:22 PM Re: 2012 Performance Context - Not Lending in CT Kathleen O. Blanchard
Tennismom Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennismom
Thanks Kathleen,

I know I haven't utilized the mapping software to its fullest potential --- now here is my opportunity. cry

Return to Top
#1841171 - 08/09/13 03:46 PM Re: 2012 Performance Context - Not Lending in CT Tennismom
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
You should be able to start with the FFIEC demographic data. Compare the population to dwelling units to owner occupied units. This will tell you a lot about the census tract without having to look at the maps.
1) Is the population small, or none? Then you simply don't have borrowers in the C/T to request loans.
2) Are there many, or any, owner occupied units to request mortgage loans?
3) If there is a large population and few, or no, dwelling units, then there is some type of large facility in the C/T like a prison, hospital, military base, school, etc. This population will most likely have a limited number of qualified borrowers, if any, depending upon the type of facility.

Return to Top
#1841179 - 08/09/13 03:52 PM Re: 2012 Performance Context - Not Lending in CT Tennismom
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Computer is having issues today...OK, maybe it is me laugh
Last edited by Rie A; 08/09/13 03:53 PM.

Return to Top
#1841194 - 08/09/13 04:02 PM Re: 2012 Performance Context - Not Lending in CT Tennismom

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Rie A, it is not you. But I am glad you mentioned FFIEC because in my post when I mentioned low population, etc. I meant FFIEC if the mapping software does not have that info.

As you say, you can tell from the FFIEC website if there is a low population tract, high poverty, high rental rates, etc

Return to Top