Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1829713 - 07/02/13 04:29 PM Dress Code
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
We could use some help in making our dress code more detailed. The main concern is dress/skirt length. Currently we say "close to the knee" but that seems to be open to different interpretations. Supervisors are asking for more definition to feel they have a policy to back them when they tell a female their skirt is too short. Would anyone share their policy on this subject?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1829716 - 07/02/13 04:33 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
Post-it Offline
Post-it
Midwest
You could use the catholic school girl dress code...

Put your arms down flat - if your skirt is above your finger tips then it is to short

(true story)

Return to Top
#1829739 - 07/02/13 05:01 PM Re: Dress Code Post-it
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
I went to a different high school....we had to kneel with the skirt touching the ground. Oh, those were the days!

I can tell you that using the "no more than one inch above your knee" isn't enough detail for here. Either that or there are a bunch of varying rulers out there!

Return to Top
#1830510 - 07/05/13 01:31 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There are some very long previous discussions on this topic.

Return to Top
#1830531 - 07/05/13 01:52 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
GLL Offline
100 Club
KY
One bank I worked at said skirts could be not more than the height of a dollar bill above the knee.

Return to Top
#1830741 - 07/08/13 12:13 PM Re: Dress Code GLL
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Was the dollar bill measured lengthwise or heightwise?

Return to Top
#1839888 - 08/06/13 06:10 PM Re: Dress Code Sinatra Fan
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
NICE!!!

Thats the way to think outside the box.

Return to Top
#1840854 - 08/08/13 07:23 PM Re: Dress Code Sinatra Fan
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Sinatra Fan
Was the dollar bill measured lengthwise or heightwise?

or lying flat, in essence, the thickness of the bill

Return to Top
#1840936 - 08/08/13 09:46 PM Re: Dress Code Post-it
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Originally Posted By: Post-it
You could use the catholic school girl dress code...

Put your arms down flat - if your skirt is above your finger tips then it is to short

(true story)

That's actually what I have told my tellers in the past! Either that or less than a hands width from the knee to the edge of the skirt. It gets the idea across.

Return to Top
#1841067 - 08/09/13 02:20 PM Re: Dress Code HappyGilmore
GLL Offline
100 Club
KY
This bank went by the height of the bill (approx 2 3/4")

Return to Top
#1841847 - 08/12/13 09:34 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
AllSmiles Offline
Gold Star
Mayhem
"cleanly shaven legs" lol!

Return to Top
#1841992 - 08/13/13 02:54 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Our dress code was just revised to say 2 inches above the knee. It's just given everyone one more thing to be snarky about.

Return to Top
#1842200 - 08/13/13 07:28 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
NancyH82 Offline
New Poster
MA
The policy should reflect that the manager or management has the final say in what is appropriate and then in the conversation focus less on what the policy says, it becomes punitive and is the employees way of deflecting the attention away. The employee should be told the attire is not appropriate and not to wear it, period end of statement. Having a manager run around with a ruler or dollar bill is a waste of time. Bottom line, "your attire is not appropriate for this office. Dress for the position that you aspire to and not the one in.

Return to Top
#1878459 - 12/13/13 03:55 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
BjK Offline
100 Club
BjK
Mid USA
This is sort of venting post as well as a need for advice:

I was asked to help revise our dress code and I really don't know where to begin. We are more of a business casual bank and for the most part, everyone respects the fact that we work at a professional business. We have a few ladies in their mid 20's to mid 30's that like to dress like they're going out on the town instead of working at a bank. Upper management, who happen to be male, often times don't "notice" when attire is questionable and rely on other females to point out the obvious. Usually nothing happens or there is inconsistency. I really don't think revising the dress code will do any good at this point but I need some advice on how to address the subject of leggings.

Leggings are instyle these days, but some of our female employees try to push the envelope and wear them with "long" sweaters or skirts that barely cover their behind or are so tight they show every roll, nook, or cranny!

Where do I go with this?!?!
Last edited by DBrk; 12/13/13 03:56 PM.
Return to Top
#1878482 - 12/13/13 04:27 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We do not allow those here. We had several wear them and apparently someone complained to HR so a strongly worded e-mail came out. While I'm not in my 20's or 30's - I do not think they are professional. While they might be stylish, professional and stylish don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

Return to Top
#1878483 - 12/13/13 04:27 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I would suggest using the same rules with leggings as you do with tights/stockings. It seems to suggests covering the entire bottom and several inches of leg (some institutions have minimums on how much leg needs to be covered).

Just my thoughts. smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1878486 - 12/13/13 04:30 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Another thought: Some instutions do not allow excessively tight clothing. I'd think leggings could fit into that category. smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1878488 - 12/13/13 04:31 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
Post-it Offline
Post-it
Midwest
I love leggings but I have never worn them to work. We have a relaxed environment as well so if I ever did wear them I would consider them just like a tight/stocking.
They are not pants!

Return to Top
#1878498 - 12/13/13 04:38 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Here the younger employees who wore them considered them pants, apparently. Here is the e-mail sent by HR:

I have had several employees approach me lately concerning our Dress Code. The question has been asked as to whether Leggings is considered appropriate attire to wear to the bank.

The answer is No. The Dress Code specifically addresses Leggings as not being appropriate attire for work. We are to exercise good judgment in wearing a professional wardrobe to the bank. This is not considered professional attire.

The handbook also states that employees that do not meet the Dress Code guidelines may be issued a warning and sent home without pay to change into something more appropriate for work. Your Manager will be responsible for enforcing the Dress Code and taking the appropriate action to comply with it.

Return to Top
#1878518 - 12/13/13 05:06 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
BjK Offline
100 Club
BjK
Mid USA
What ticks me off about all this was back in February, management and a range of employees (some envelope-pushers and some complainers of envelope-pushers) had an informal meeting about dress code (I happened to be gone that day or I would've voiced my opinion) and they decided to put leggings in the appropriated dress category and say:

Leggings-top needs to completely cover behind/mid-thigh

So now I'm trying to decide if this statement should be revised or if we just need to say "no".

Return to Top
#1878634 - 12/13/13 08:47 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Under no circumstances would I consider leggings to be either professional or appropriate career clothing.

Return to Top
#1878639 - 12/13/13 08:54 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I think they can be worn professionally if they are worn in the same manner as stockings. Then they are basically non-see-through tights.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1878644 - 12/13/13 09:05 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
Compl101TX Offline
Gold Star
Compl101TX
W. TX
All of you would go crazy if you worked at this bank,

I've seen leggings on some, shorts with sandals on a part timer (male) and tennies shoes. I always try to dress appropriately, but managment here do not care a bit about our dress code or what customers may think/say.

And the part timer was NOT sent home to change...that should describe how relax bosses are around here.

Return to Top
#1878702 - 12/13/13 10:48 PM Re: Dress Code HR Banker
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
I always told them that they could wear leggings but only if the "top" was okay to be worn to work without leggings. So the top over the leggings had to follow our skirt/dress length rule.

Now, as to whether or not that is being enforced, I couldn't tell you as I have been "blessed" with a compliance job instead of a teller manager job, so it isn't my concern any more!

Return to Top
#1878780 - 12/16/13 01:36 PM Re: Dress Code BjK
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Originally Posted By: DBrk
What ticks me off about all this was back in February, management and a range of employees (some envelope-pushers and some complainers of envelope-pushers) had an informal meeting about dress code (I happened to be gone that day or I would've voiced my opinion) and they decided to put leggings in the appropriated dress category and say:

Leggings-top needs to completely cover behind/mid-thigh

So now I'm trying to decide if this statement should be revised or if we just need to say "no".

Come up with a policy that anyone who do not make an appropriate decision for dress appropriate for a professional environment that management will intercede and they can pick their individual wardrobe from a uniform catalog.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry