Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1842522 - 08/14/13 06:15 PM Laptop or tablet?
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
A friend of mine (yes-it is a friend and not me) has a laptop on its last legs-he is unsure about replacing with a tablet or another laptop. He doesn't use the keyboard much, so he is leaning to a tablet.

Any thoughts from the experts out there? It is apparently an urgent issue for him.

Thanks.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1842524 - 08/14/13 06:18 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Have a Macbook pro and iPad - use both for different things...would never consider typing tons of information on the ipad without a traditional keyboard

Return to Top
#1842529 - 08/14/13 06:21 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? HappyGilmore
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
he needs to go for the tablet!

that's my next purchase

Return to Top
#1842536 - 08/14/13 06:26 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Sox in '13
A friend of mine (yes-it is a friend and not me) has a laptop on its last legs-he is unsure about replacing with a tablet or another laptop. He doesn't use the keyboard much, so he is leaning to a tablet.

Any thoughts from the experts out there? It is apparently an urgent issue for him.

Thanks.

IMO it depends on what he wants to do with it. They are not the same thing at all. If he wants to do anything with it besides run some flash apps and check the internet he pretty much needs a laptop. A tablet is essentially just a cell phone without an antenna.

Return to Top
#1842539 - 08/14/13 06:29 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
I love my iPad. I use it for email, internets, stuff like FB and YouTube, etc. I still have my PC for things like doing my taxes and storing pictures. I wouldn't do any serious work on the iPad.

Return to Top
#1842545 - 08/14/13 06:37 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I use my Nook for almost everything, it has Office Lite; I can check emails, the web and read without lugging around a laptop. smile

Return to Top
#1842553 - 08/14/13 06:51 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? califgirl
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: califgirl
I still have my PC for things like doing my taxes and storing pictures. I wouldn't do any serious work on the iPad.

Storage, yes. Laptop will have a more storage. But, if your friend stores pictures and stuff in the cloud, it won't matter.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1842558 - 08/14/13 07:01 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Your friend could consider a touchscreen laptop, possibly one with a detachable keyboard or a rotating screen.

Return to Top
#1842561 - 08/14/13 07:03 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
I have a tablet now and I love it for reading and surfing but I prefer the lappy for Emails and multimedia due to its DVD drive. Then I do all things that require any amount of typing on the desktop or lappy as I am a slow typest but I am still much faste on a keyboard than I am with 2 thumbs or one finger on the tablet.
Like others have said they are not the same thing nor are they ment to used for the same things.

Return to Top
#1842567 - 08/14/13 07:13 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? Retired DQ
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: DeeQ
I use my Nook for almost everything, it has Office Lite; I can check emails, the web and read without lugging around a laptop. smile

Well, since we've come to the conclusion you really don't work...this should work quite nicely for you. whistle

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1842576 - 08/14/13 07:27 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? manimal
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: manimal
Originally Posted By: califgirl
I still have my PC for things like doing my taxes and storing pictures. I wouldn't do any serious work on the iPad.

Storage, yes. Laptop will have a more storage. But, if your friend stores pictures and stuff in the cloud, it won't matter.

It will. Because the cloud is only as good as the connection. Most laptops have better methods and faster connections. Even so, what happens if you cannot connect or the cloud server goes down?
Last edited by Red Herring; 08/14/13 07:28 PM.

Return to Top
#1842580 - 08/14/13 07:32 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Sox in '13

Thanks.

I would think a Speak and Spell would be about his speed

Return to Top
#1842628 - 08/14/13 08:54 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I have a pad. And I have a computer....somewhere. laugh
I use the pad 10 times as much as I use my laptop. But there are a few things I prefer the laptop for which have already been covered above.

Return to Top
#1842642 - 08/14/13 09:18 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I am in the process of buying my wife a new laptop. I live in a college town and these back to school specials are amazing. I found a 5hr battery life laptop with a 13.3" screen. My wife wants small but computing power. The laptop has an I5 processor and is only $469. That is a boatload of power and processing capability, slightly larger than a tablet but less battery life. Basically no tablet could even compare to this. But the price of the most up to date ipad is not far off.

Return to Top
#1842646 - 08/14/13 09:35 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
I have a Samsung Galaxy tablet that I love for internet, email, and reading, but I still like to have a desktop for banking, photo editing, and the most essential computer function: gaming. My wife has a laptop. Just from looking over her shoulder, I'm pretty sure all it does is facebook and solitaire.

Return to Top
#1842647 - 08/14/13 09:37 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
We bought a tablet over a year ago and I never use it. I prefer the laptop since my phone can do everything the tablet did. Maybe I should give that tablet away to a nephew or something...

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1842651 - 08/14/13 09:51 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
mtngrrl Offline
Platinum Poster
mtngrrl
Northern California
You could give it to me! :-) I want a tablet so I can use it for lyric/chord sheets...will save me a ton of organizing...but I haven't had the budget to buy the tab yet (plus the foot pedal to turn pages)...sigh...

Return to Top
#1843661 - 08/19/13 05:08 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? mtngrrl
Peepers Offline
10K Club
any update on this, has your little buddy decided on anything?

Return to Top
#1843666 - 08/19/13 05:14 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
We purchased a new laptop for the wife this weekend. I noted the specifications of the tablets and they hardly had HD space available to even hold windows. Basically everything has to run in flash or be very small for tablets to use them at that limited capacity.

You could use an external HD but that still stores the data transferred in DL memory so your HD will fill up anyway. You can get a more robust tablet for ~$800. But at that rate you might as well go with an ultra small notebook that can do 10x more.

Return to Top
#1843694 - 08/19/13 06:21 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
It really seems like a tablet is just a bigger iPhone in most cases, or vice versa.

Return to Top
#1843695 - 08/19/13 06:30 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
I have heard it explained that way as well. Probably a little easier to surf on, but pretty much like a phone.

Return to Top
#1843711 - 08/19/13 07:04 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Tablets are good for consuming but a laptop is better for producing. Hope that makes sense because I am too lazy to explain it.

Return to Top
#1843714 - 08/19/13 07:11 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
^^^ agreed!

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1843728 - 08/19/13 07:27 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? TB 12
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
A long time ago tablets were all we had.

Return to Top
#1843730 - 08/19/13 07:33 PM Re: Laptop or tablet? Pale Rider
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
A long time ago tablets were all we had.

Oh Pale! You are such a good sport.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2