Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1844244 - 08/20/13 07:22 PM Loan Denial-Bankruptcy
Anonymous
Unregistered

My supervisor is just want to check if "bankruptcy" alone is a good enough reason to deny a loan. She says in the past an examiner told her this was not good practice.

Thank you.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1844262 - 08/20/13 07:37 PM Re: Loan Denial-Bankruptcy Anonymous
James M. Moore Offline
100 Club
James M. Moore
Georgia
I've heard many theories on the amount of reasons to provide for denials. The commentary says no more than four unless one is for excessive inquiries.

I look at it this way...You have made loans to persons with bankruptcies in the past. Why not this one? (The answer to the question is your second denial reason) You are required to provide the principle reasons for denial and I'm assuming there is more than just the one you stated.

It is also a good idea to provide the maximum four as it makes it harder for an examiner to include denials for comparisons to marginally approved credit during fair lending reviews. They need apples to apples for comparison.
Last edited by James M. Moore; 08/20/13 07:41 PM.

#1844299 - 08/20/13 08:27 PM Re: Loan Denial-Bankruptcy Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
When The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 (BAPCPA) was signed into law bankruptcy was brought under the umbrella of the Consumer Portection Act.

From Reg. B 1002.1:

(b) Purpose. The purpose of this part is to promote the availability of credit to all creditworthy applicants without regard . . . . . or to the fact that the applicant has in good faith exercised any right under the Consumer Credit Protection Act.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale