Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1844930 - 08/22/13 03:34 PM Employee wants to go part-time after maternity lea
Key Lime Pie Offline
100 Club
Louisville, KY
We have an employee who will be on maternity leave soon. She has expressed interest in returning after her leave to a part-time status. The position she is in now is full-time and needs to remain such. There is a part-time position available that should could move into upon her return and she has expressed interest in doing that. What's the best way to handle this and not violate any FMLA requirements? Should she be switched to part-time just before her leave so as to avoid any appearance of "forcing" her into something else when she returns from leave? Obviously, it would be easier for her current department to replace her with a permanent replacement when she goes on leave instead of waiting 6-12 weeks.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1845126 - 08/22/13 08:58 PM Re: Employee wants to go part-time after maternity lea Key Lime Pie
80's Lady Offline
Gold Star
A couple of things come to mind - she probably has a certain amount of paid leave built up and switching her to part time prior to her leave could mean that she will be receiving less pay while she is out? Also, do part-timers receive the same insurance benefits as full-time an could this have a negative effect? Just a couple of things to consider.

Return to Top
#1845305 - 08/23/13 03:08 PM Re: Employee wants to go part-time after maternity lea Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Pie Offline
100 Club
Louisville, KY
Good point about the pay during her leave time; I'll have to look at that. Switching to part time before her leave would probably effect her health insurance, but I'm not even sure at this point if she carries the insurance or her husband does. Thanks for the comments.

Return to Top
#1847672 - 08/30/13 02:26 PM Re: Employee wants to go part-time after maternity lea Key Lime Pie
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I would wait until she returned to make the change for the reasons already mentioned but also because she may have a change of mind while out. There is no worry about making it look like she was forced to part time on her return, assuming you allow internal staff to post for open positions, have her formally apply for the PT position and you have a trail showing it was her desire, not the banks.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry