Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1753297 - 10/29/12 08:38 PM Reloadable Prepaid Debit Card vs Payroll Card
Sandy Offline
New Poster
Ohio
If a consumer purchases a prepaid reloadable debit card from us and subsequently provides their card information to their employer so that said employer can direct deposit the consumers payroll onto the prepaid card.......are we subject to the Reg E requirements for Payroll Cards? I guess my question is what determines whether a card is considered a payroll card for purposes of Reg E? If the card is not sold as a payroll card but is subsequently used for recurring payroll direct deposits does that turn it into a payroll card?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1753463 - 10/30/12 04:34 PM Re: Reloadable Prepaid Debit Card vs Payroll Card Sandy
Sandy Offline
New Poster
Ohio
Does anyone have any opinions or guidance on the above question? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
#1753769 - 10/31/12 02:34 PM Re: Reloadable Prepaid Debit Card vs Payroll Card Sandy
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The key question, I think, is whether the card is "directly or indirectly established by an employer." That's a prerequisite of a payroll card account. I don't think that when the holder of your reloadable prepaid debit card arranges to piggyback on your card a direct deposit of his payroll payments, there is anything to say that the employer has established the card account. I would come to a different conclusion, perhaps, if you said that the bank worked with the employer to arrange for payroll direct deposits to your card. Does your bank simply allow direct deposit to these cards in addition to the normal reloading of funds that might be arranged at the bank?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1753897 - 10/31/12 05:11 PM Re: Reloadable Prepaid Debit Card vs Payroll Card John Burnett
Sandy Offline
New Poster
Ohio
Thank you for the feedback. The card would not be established by the employer. It sounds like we should use caution in marketing these to ensure that they are not marketed as a means to receive payroll. I just don't want to cross the line and move from being a reloadable debit card to what the examiners would consider a payroll card.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Return to Top
#1753980 - 10/31/12 07:08 PM Re: Reloadable Prepaid Debit Card vs Payroll Card Sandy
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Can't you control how funds are reloaded on the cards?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1847552 - 08/29/13 09:55 PM Re: Reloadable Prepaid Debit Card vs Payroll Card Sandy
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
Having payroll direct deposited to a general purpose reloadable card, does not make the card a payroll card. John is correct that the card program must be sponsored by an employer.

With that said, now that Federal Payments to prepaid cards have been granted the same protections as payroll cards for Reg E, your GPR cards may become covered.

You won't find this info in Reg E. It is an ACH rule change from Treasury that has now been in effect for over a year.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z