Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1850938 - 09/11/13 03:12 PM Mastercard Rule Question
Curious Banker27 Offline
New Poster
We have a dispute that does not fall under Reg E but we can iniate a chargeback for(The customer bought tickets to an event but the tickets were not what he thought they would be). Is there something that states once we iniate a chargeback we need to give the customer provisional credit? We were thinking we would do a courtesy chargeback on his behalf but we are thinking we will not win the dispute. If we do need to give provisional credit can someone direct me to where you found the information at? I looked through the Chargeback rules and Mastercard Rules and came up empty but perhaps I missed it.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1851083 - 09/11/13 06:31 PM Re: Mastercard Rule Question Curious Banker27
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
First, unless you can demonstrate that the merchant misrepresented in some way what the customer was purchasing, there is no valid chargeback right. MasterCard protections do not cover buyer's remorse.

Second, if you do choose to spend the time and money on a chargeback provisional credit is covered in Section 1.4 Chargeback Stages, of the MasterCard Chargeback Guide.

It is very important to note that when an issuer has billed a transaction to its cardholder’s account for payment and then chooses to exercise a chargeback right, the issuer must credit the cardholder’s account for the amount of the chargeback. Under no circumstances should an issuer ultimately be reimbursed twice for the same transaction.

Return to Top
#1851237 - 09/11/13 08:44 PM Re: Mastercard Rule Question Curious Banker27
Curious Banker27 Offline
New Poster
Thank you for the information. The customer is a very good one therefore we would like to try a chargeback for him but only if we do not need to give him credit first. We will be telling him no. Thanks again.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z