Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#185066 - 04/29/04 12:52 PM What is your best sports memory from your state?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Here is a Sports Illustrated website on the greatest sports moments and athletes from all 50 states: The states

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#185067 - 04/29/04 03:08 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
Great question-

* 9/17/68- Listening to Ernie Harwell's call of Don Wert's ninth inning single that scored Al Kaline (95% sure it was Kaline) with the winnning run to clinch the pennant for the 1968 Detroit Tigers. Still remember lying in bed listening to it on my little transistor radio and screaming & jumping around like fools with my brother when the run scored. Can't imagine that I'll ever remember a team as fondly as that one.
(I wonder if 11 year old kids still listen to ballgames on the radio at night?)

* Close second: Michigan State over Indiana State in the 1979 NCAA hoops championship game, mainly becuase I was an MSU student at the time and was fortunate enough to attend the game.

Return to Top
#185068 - 04/29/04 03:11 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Geaux Tigers - PL Offline
100 Club
Geaux Tigers - PL
Texas
Very cool stuff Hud. Thanks!

Return to Top
#185069 - 04/29/04 03:11 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Indiana - Bird vs. Magic Need I say more?

Return to Top
#185070 - 04/29/04 03:21 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
CelticsPride Offline
Platinum Poster
CelticsPride
The Boston "Gahden"
So many to choose from:

Hearing Jonny Most on the Radio as "Havlicek Stole the Ball" and the Celtics beat the 76ers. (My Mom was a Celtics season ticket holder so I was imbued with Celtics Pride early).

The 1967 Red Sox winning the pennant on the final day of the season "And there is pandemonium on the field" and everyone surrounding Jim Lonborg around the pitcher's mound.

Bobby Orr flying through the air after scoring the winning goal against Glenn Hall of the Saint Louis Blues in the 1970 Stanley Cup finals. My mom let me skip school and go to the parade. I had never seen so many people in one place before.

Doug Flutie's "Hail Mary" pass against Miami. As a Boston College alum I had to throw that one in.

Return to Top
#185071 - 04/29/04 03:46 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I'm new to this state, so my "memory" is only 3 years old. Easily, it is the OU Sooners' National Championship season of 2001. A few of the athletes mentioned for the state of Oklahoma are:
Jim Thorpe
Mickey Mantle
Johnny Bench
Steve Largent

Missing from the list are:
Barry Sanders (college at OSU)
Billy Sims (college at OU)
Will Shields (Lawton high)
Mike Minter (Lawton High)
Daryl Gardner (Lawton High)
and tons of baseball players just from Lawton High that I can't remember (not a baseball fan).

And they wonder why Oklahoma ranks so lowly on the academic ratings.

Return to Top
#185072 - 04/29/04 03:58 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
Quote:

So many to choose from:

Hearing Jonny Most on the Radio as "Havlicek Stole the Ball" and the Celtics beat the 76ers. (My Mom was a Celtics season ticket holder so I was imbued with Celtics Pride early).

The 1967 Red Sox winning the pennant on the final day of the season "And there is pandemonium on the field" and everyone surrounding Jim Lonborg around the pitcher's mound.

Bobby Orr flying through the air after scoring the winning goal against Glenn Hall of the Saint Louis Blues in the 1970 Stanley Cup finals. My mom let me skip school and go to the parade. I had never seen so many people in one place before.

Doug Flutie's "Hail Mary" pass against Miami. As a Boston College alum I had to throw that one in.

CP. even though you didn't mention Bird stealing an inbounds pass and feeding DJ for a layup that beat my beloved Pistons in the '88 (?) playoffs, just mentioning Johnny Most unfortunately reminded me of that play!

Return to Top
#185073 - 04/29/04 04:47 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
"Smith corks one into right down the line. It may go! Go crazy, folks! Go crazy! It's a home run and the Cardinals have won the game by the score of 3 to 2 on a home run by the Wizard."

Return to Top
#185074 - 04/29/04 04:49 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
The best sports memory:

1998 NCAA title (my avatar and sig should say the rest), closely followed by the 1996 NCAA title, and then the 1978 NCAA title (only 3 of the 7 during my lifetime).

The most vivid - but not the "best" is a good one for MagicBanker - 1992 regional final loss at the buzzer.

Return to Top
#185075 - 04/29/04 05:04 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
CelticsPride Offline
Platinum Poster
CelticsPride
The Boston "Gahden"
jjohns, I did not want to go on and on, but that is a good one too. In the old Boston Garden, Johnny Most used to sit "high above courtside". One night, and it could have been when Bill Laimbeer (sp?) was "mugging poor Kevin McHale", I happened to look up and saw Johnny hanging over the front railing with the microphone in his hand screaming into it. I thought he was going to fall into the Loge section. You don't see any of his ilk around anymore!

Return to Top
#185076 - 04/29/04 05:07 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
HIGH POINTS

Cowboys Defeat Bronco's in Superbowl!

Earl Campbell and Oilers Beat Miami on Monday Night Football

Nolan Ryan throws no-hitter for Astros

University of Texas wins 1983 baseball National Championship

From my other state: Bama wins mythical 1978 and 1979 National Championships (The 1991 championship was special because they beat Miami.)

LOW POINTS

Texas blows mythical 1977 and 1983 Football National Championships

Oilers Never Get Past Steelers to Superbowl in late 70s (Too bad they were not in different conferences--For a couple of years there, they were the two best teams in the league)

JR Richards suffers stroke

Astros just miss World Series in 1980 and 1986(?)

From my other state: Bama ripped off from winning mythical 1977 Football National Championship
Last edited by Huddie Ledbetter; 04/29/04 06:01 PM.
Return to Top
#185077 - 04/29/04 05:40 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
Did you mean J R Richard? I think J R Reid played hoops for UNC.

Return to Top
#185078 - 04/29/04 05:51 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Sorry, Rusty, but you have forgotten one.

Although I don't follow sports and could not give you a second example, mine is chrystal clear. It was the NCAA regionals from 1981(?) when the NCAA put U of L and UK in the same bracket. They knew it would be a real hot ticket because UK had refused to play U of L for years. Gosh, now my memory is fading, who was it that won?

Return to Top
#185079 - 04/29/04 05:54 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
Three words...

Packers

Super Bowl

Return to Top
#185080 - 04/29/04 06:02 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Was it 92 when Duke beat UK?

Any time the big blue gets beat is a good sports memory...

Return to Top
#185081 - 04/29/04 06:02 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Did you mean J R Richard? I think J R Reid played hoops for UNC.

I knew something was amiss. And I did miss a low point--

"Jerry Jones buys Cowboys and sacks Landry"

Return to Top
#185082 - 04/29/04 06:07 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
1987 - the Tigers needed to sweep the Blue Jays in a 4-game series at the end of the season to make the playoffs. They did it.

2003 - my alma mater won their 2nd consecutive division II football national championship. The seniors went 48-4.

1988 - my fiancee and I sat in the right field upper deck in Tiger Stadium for an afternoon game. Darrell Evans was taking batting practice, and he crushed a ball - it came right at me, and all I had to do was lift my glove. Just before I caught it, a little...kid...snatched it out of the air. He turned around, showed it to me, smirked, and ran up the aisle.

Not five minutes later, Evans smashed another one. It nailed the same kid (who didn't happen to be looking at the time) right below the left arm! He had a welt the size of a grapefruit on his ribcage, complete with stitch marks. Revenge is good...

2001 - I took my son to his first Michigan football game. This was the first weekend they played after 9/11, and I gave him the full treatment - marching band rehearsal, t-shirts from Ulrich's, pregame, halftime, post-game shows - and Michigan crushed WMU.

Return to Top
#185083 - 04/29/04 06:13 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dawnie - I was going to kid you about your state being all about the Iditerod until I noticed that 11% of your people voted the Cubs as their favorite baseball team!

Return to Top
#185084 - 04/29/04 06:33 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
Quote:

Sorry, Rusty, but you have forgotten one.

Although I don't follow sports and could not give you a second example, mine is chrystal clear. It was the NCAA regionals from 1981(?) when the NCAA put U of L and UK in the same bracket. They knew it would be a real hot ticket because UK had refused to play U of L for years. Gosh, now my memory is fading, who was it that won?

Gee Ken, I used to think that you were such a nice guy.

Actually, that game was in 1983 and was the impetus for the renewal of the series - I still remember John Y. Brown's half blue and half red blazer. The 'Cats repaid the favor in the 1984 NCAA tourney.

As for Anonymous - hopefully you're someone I know and that's a good natured barb; but in either case, since THE BIG BLUE are the all-time winningest program in NCAA history and second only to UCLA for national titles; you don't have the opportunity for many good days. I guess you've only had 9 the past 2 seasons. With the way that recruiting is going this year, doesn't seem that you'll have many in the future either.

Return to Top
#185085 - 04/29/04 06:38 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
trinna Offline
Gold Star
trinna
Midwest
The Bad Boys of Detroit! and two NBA Championships in a row! 1988-1989 and 1989-1990

Return to Top
#185086 - 04/29/04 06:40 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Geaux Tigers - PL Offline
100 Club
Geaux Tigers - PL
Texas
My original thoughts were of LSU football but in hindsight nothing could every top the 1996 College World Series championship game LSU won...bottom of the ninth, two outs, down two, runner on first, Warren Morris at bat, no home runs this season, spent much of the first part of the year out with a broke wrist that still wasn't 100%, All-American closer from Miami on the mound.....walk-off game winning home to right... National Championship. Pretty sweet.
Of course a close second was a similar event in 2000 when Brad Creese hits a single to right in the bottom of the ninth to win the championship.
Oh memories....

Return to Top
#185087 - 04/29/04 06:46 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
carrieb Offline
100 Club
Minneapolis
Quote:

Three words...

Packers

Super Bowl

Two Words:
Low Point

High Points:
*Cubs win the division 1989. Harry screaming "CUBS WIN THE DIVISION, CUBS WIN THE DIVISION!!!" I can still see Mitch Williams falling off the mound in Montreal.

*First night game at Wrigley: The kissing bandit, Ryno's 1st night-game home run (even though it didn't count) and the players doing slip-and-slide on the infield cover.

****Bonus high point: Broncos beat the Packers in the Super Bowl

Return to Top
#185088 - 04/29/04 06:58 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
Bartman, I've cursed the name of Jack Morris (traitor) ever since '87. No way the Twinkies should have beat us that year in the playoffs.
It's been quite a run for GVSU football - I've looked forward to seeing their scores every Sunday during the season.

Return to Top
#185089 - 04/29/04 07:04 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
JJohns Offline
Platinum Poster
JJohns
IL
Quote:

The Bad Boys of Detroit! and two NBA Championships in a row! 1988-1989 and 1989-1990

Yep, for sure. Bulls fans might not agree. This year's Pistons team has that same defensive intensity that it so rare in the NBA.
When I was a kid the Pistons had half-price ticket coupons on the back of paper 1/2 gallon milk cartons. My dad bought the "milk carton seats" a couple times and we sat darn near courtside behind the basket at Cobo Arena. That was back in the George Trapp era when they were really bad.

Return to Top
#185090 - 04/29/04 07:24 PM Re: What is your best sports memory from your state?
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Quote:

Three words...

Packers

Super Bowl

I especially like the Packers in the 1997 Super Bowl.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2