Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1842717 - 08/15/13 02:08 PM ATM allows consumer to change PIN - Jump Ball!
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If enabled by the bank, the new ATM allows the consumer to change his or her PIN on the spot. I've not seen or heard of this and have no real reaction to it beyond the issues, positive and negative, that could be raised if a customer allows a third party to use their card.

If your machines have this capability and you have made a decision, positive or negative, about enabling it I would appreciate hearing your rationale.

Apparently, this feature is relatively common. I spoke with a group of bankers yesterday and about 30% of them offered it.
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 08/16/13 11:54 AM. Reason: Follow-up

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1851439 - 09/12/13 03:15 PM Re: ATM allows consumer to change PIN - Jump Ball! Elwood P. Dowd
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We don't currently use this but have thought about it. And when speaking to our processor, they claim that the majority of their clients allow this.

Return to Top
#1851458 - 09/12/13 03:44 PM Re: ATM allows consumer to change PIN - Jump Ball! Elwood P. Dowd
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Interesting question, Ken. You've suggested some added risk that the ATM function might facilitate a "card takeover" by the third-party individual. There's a partial offset to that risk in the fact that a bona fide cardholder who does let a family member or friend use a card can, upon getting the card back, change the PIN to prevent additional ATM use by that family member/friend should the family member/friend be tempted to "borrow" the card without authorization at a later time.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1851471 - 09/12/13 03:56 PM Re: ATM allows consumer to change PIN - Jump Ball! Elwood P. Dowd
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
When we switched card networks a few years back, this option became available to us. We only allow the PINs to be changed at the machines we own, I think the rationale is that we can easily pull video footage in the event that there are any issues.

In probably...three years or so, we've had no issue arise from this.

Return to Top
#1851494 - 09/12/13 04:13 PM Re: ATM allows consumer to change PIN - Jump Ball! Elwood P. Dowd
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
We've allow it at our ATMS for several years. We're a small bank, and do not have on site equipment to select PINs. We used to support PIN customization via IVR, but cards could not be ordered until after the customer called in, which created some logistic problems and delays in ordering.

Our customers really seem to like it, and we've never had a third party make an unauthorized PIN change

Return to Top
#1851498 - 09/12/13 04:16 PM Re: ATM allows consumer to change PIN - Jump Ball! Elwood P. Dowd
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
We also allow this, for several years. I can't see any increased risk as we also allow them to change PIN by an automated system by phone, as our system doesn't allow them to pick or set a pin inside the branch or any other way. I actually prefer doing it at the ATM as we have camera footage. They do have to know the current PIN in order to change it. I didn't see it as much of a risk.

Return to Top
#1851730 - 09/12/13 09:25 PM Re: ATM allows consumer to change PIN - Jump Ball! Elwood P. Dowd
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We've allowed for several years. Like others it can only be done at ATMs owned by us. In order to see that option you have to go to "other." It's not right on the main screen. As far as I am aware, it has never been an issue of unauthorized PIN changes.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z