Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1852833 - 09/17/13 03:15 PM Mr. X - Creepy customer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know where else to turn, so I'm helping maybe someone in a similar situation can help?

We have a customer, Mr. X, who only has a savings account with our financial institution. Mr. X gets a monthly social security check. The check usually comes on the 3rd of the month. Mr. X's checks are around $700.00.

After the 3rd of the month, Mr. X will CONSTANTLY come in to the branch to make withdrawals. $4.00 withdrawals. $12.00 withdrawals. $27.00 withdrawals. Mr. X will come into the branch 3-4 times per day until he brings his account to zero. Then we won't see him until the 3rd of the next month, in which the process starts all over again. This month alone he has been in 12 times.

Mr. X is clearly "touched"; not like "Rain Man" touched, but more like "you wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley touched". Most of our staff hides whenever he walks into the building. We have had several of our neighboring businesses call the police on Mr. X; he's sometimes found lurking around our branch before hours, waiting for the bank to open. Sometimes he's on foot. Sometimes he's in a cab. Sometimes he's on a bike. Sometimes he's driving. Add to it, half the time he is half-clothed. It's a mess.

Unfortunately, our bank does not charge a service fee, nor do we have minimum balance requirements on our savings accounts, so our staff puts a lot of time and energy into a customer that we get nothing back from. Yes, I get the fact that all customers are important, but we are truly on the losing end of this situation.

I have spoken to upper management about him and their answer is; a customer is a customer is a customer.

Has anyone else been in asimilar situation? I feel like my hands are tied with Mr. X; he's never done anything WRONG, but the sum of all of his actions are suspicious and quite creepy.

As a side, Mr. X has only been a customer of our bank for a year, but has lived in the area for quite some time. I get the impression he was once a customer of another financial institution (or several); banks that quite possibly closed his account. And now we're "stuck" with him.

Maybe I'm just venting.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1852846 - 09/17/13 03:31 PM Re: Mr. X Anonymous
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
If there is a legitimate safety issue for employees, close the account and mail him a check for the remaining balance.

Innerpartysystem

#1852847 - 09/17/13 03:32 PM Re: Mr. X Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I would probably have an officer/branch manager let him know he is treating a savings account as a checking account and not what it's designed for...SAVINGS...and close it out if he doesn't agree to quit using in that manner.

BUT, I see management isn't concerned, so you've really done all you can do at this point.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

#1852909 - 09/17/13 04:43 PM Re: Mr. X Anonymous
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Sorry to say but the customer is not your issue. Sr management is. Unless they are willing to back you up there is nothing that can be done. Could some one from the branch speak to him. I have done this several times in my career. It worked once.

I have also kicked customers out without Sr managements approval.
Also not a wonderful conversation when they find out. You can figure the profitabilty/loss of the customer and present it to Sr management.
Last edited by EdAudit; 09/17/13 04:46 PM.

CAMS

#1852921 - 09/17/13 04:55 PM Re: Mr. X Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have run into customers like this too. Sometimes there are things that warrant closing the accounts. Sometime not. One officer pointed out that there is no law against being creepy or weird.

Wish I had a better answer for you.

#1852924 - 09/17/13 04:58 PM Re: Mr. X Anonymous
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Weird ^^

The above comment was mine but for some reason it put me as Anonymous?!

#1852939 - 09/17/13 05:14 PM Re: Mr. X RockChucker, CAMS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Inappropriate comment deleted.
Last edited by Truffle Royale; 09/17/13 05:57 PM.
#1852997 - 09/17/13 06:30 PM Re: Mr. X Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Count yourself lucky if you only have one Mr. X. We have Mr. X, Mrs. Y, and Mr. Z here. Nothing you can do, especially without the support of senior management.

#1854422 - 09/21/13 08:44 PM Re: Mr. X Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Either create a monthly service fee (or a minimum balance, etc) for savings accounts, and apply it to everyone, or quit whining.

How much you wanna bet that the moment you close his account he turns around and claims discrimination on the basis of his disability. If he receives SSI because of a mental problem, and you close his account because he is "weird", you are *begging* for an issue down the road.

#1854589 - 09/23/13 05:26 PM Re: Mr. X Anonymous
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
At least he isn't falling asleep in the lobby and urinating in our cloth lobby chair while he is asleep. Trade this guy for yours any day.

#1854622 - 09/23/13 06:28 PM Re: Mr. X Anonymous
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This thread is about a banker asking a question. Please DO NOT get it off track with "my customer is worse than your customer." That doesn't get any issues resolved and this is a banking forum for business, not a Water Cooler for less formal conversation.

If having this one customer is a big issue, you have fewer problems than I did. If you have a fear for employee safety that is one issue and you'd need to follow the correct steps to provide notice and close the account. In some cases, if this person keeps a teller busy, that can be a good thing unless they are over-worked and your lobby is already crowded. Otherwise, it's just another customer with some money on deposit and paying fees, hopefully on occasion. Otherwise I'm with management, this is one of thousands, address the persons needs and move on.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale