Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1851045 - 09/11/13 05:34 PM Abundance of Caution
Lender1960 Offline
New Poster
Alabama
My department has a request to make a consumer unsecured loan with a parcel of land being taken as an abundance of caution. The customer more than qualifies for the loan on an unsecured basis. Is there anything compliance wise that is required or not required. I have worked for a # of Banks over the years and everyone seems to have a different definition of abundance of caution. Since these types of loans are normally reserved for small business and commercial, we have questions on this consumer request. I would appreciate any help you can provide. Specifically, I am looking to address three areas: 1) Valuation of the RE being taken as an abundance of caution, required or not 2) Title Insurance or Title Report, required or not and 3) Recordation of the Mortgage/DOT . I understand that 2 & 3 are probably policy issues not really compliance but any insight would be appreciated.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1851048 - 09/11/13 05:36 PM Re: Abundance of Caution Lender1960
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Abundance of caution gets you out of some appraisal requirements. It has no impact on most any other regulatory requirement, including consumer disclosures. How you choose to document the loan, is a question for your legal counsel.

Return to Top
#1851107 - 09/11/13 06:59 PM Re: Abundance of Caution rlcarey
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
Flood also applies.

Al

Return to Top
#1854741 - 09/23/13 09:45 PM Re: Abundance of Caution Lender1960
Jan94 Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Just to confirm for my own understanding, from a consumer regulatory standpoint, if the bank takes the dwelling as collateral through AOC, then all disclosure requirements apply (i.e. TIL, HUD, GFE, flood, etc.) So these loans would also be subject to the new Dodd-Frank requirements for qualified mortgages, etc. is that correct? Thank you!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z