Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1855922 - 09/26/13 05:04 PM LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
I think based on the jobs our current employees do and the updated defintion of loan originator, only our MLOs will be LOs. That said, as the regulation has changed, I've read differing opinions on BOL about the obtaining a credit report. Under SAFE Act, all of our MLOs required and received criminal background checks, but did not recieve credit reports. Do we have to retroactively get credit reports on all of our existing MLOs prior to the implementation date in January, or is this ONLY for new hires after the January implementation date?

Return to Top
Loan Originator Compensation Rule
#1855957 - 09/26/13 05:26 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
If your bank pulled a CR as part of the MLO/LOs employment screening, you would not be required to pull a new report. If there was no Credit Report pulled then IMO, you would need a credit report pulled.

Return to Top
#1856032 - 09/26/13 06:28 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
If I'm not mistaken, there was no requirement for SAFE Act originally. Of course, my management is going to want to know if it is a requirement, or optional. At first, they way I read the regulation, it seemed to be a requirement,but now I'm not so sure.

Return to Top
#1856079 - 09/26/13 07:08 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
The commentary states -Retroactive obtaining information not required.The Loan Originator Organization is not required to obtain the covered informatino for an indivdual whom the loan origniator hired before 1/1/2014 and screened under the SAFE Act. However, if that person quits and comes back, then they are required to obtain all the information. 1026.36(f)(3)(i)-2

Also in the guide it says if you become aware of an event that could disqualify an LO, you must re-screen.
Last edited by Tesla; 09/26/13 08:01 PM. Reason: More information

Return to Top
#1856100 - 09/26/13 07:24 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
leobsayer, you are correct that the original SAFE Act did not require a credit report pull for Depositories, only non-depositories. It is still a very vague reference. We are working on the policies and procedures for SAFE ACT and Reg "Z" this week, so I have the CFPB Guide open. This is exerpt for guide:
"You must collect the above information for any individual:
1. Hired on or after January 10, 2014 or
2. Hired before that date but for whom no applicable statutory or regulatory background standards were in effect at the time of hire to screen that individual, or the applicable standards were not used to screen that individual."
Last edited by hgliii; 09/26/13 07:25 PM.
Return to Top
#1856177 - 09/26/13 08:40 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
Well, there were standards in place, but they were the SAFE Act standards, which as I said, didn't require a credit report. That sounds like anyone we hire after 1/10/14 as an LO would reqire a background check and a credit report pull, but our current LOs would be grandfathered in under the SAFE Act, unless a situation presented itself that informed the bank of the need for further investigation, such as in a bankruptcy.

Return to Top
#1856324 - 09/27/13 01:50 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
That is my understanding also. However, my understanding is that if you were to hire a MLO that was licensed instead of registered, you would not need to pull credit or Background check. Licensed MLOs were required to undergo a review of both for their initial license.
Last edited by hgliii; 09/27/13 01:53 PM.
Return to Top
#1857278 - 10/01/13 03:45 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
When pulling credit reports on employees for the purpose of loan originagor compensation, FCRA must still be followed, correct? In other words, you would have to make a clear and conspicuous disclosure in writing to the employee before the report is obtained, in a document that consists solely of the disclosure, that a credit report may be obtained for employment purposes AND obtain the employee’s written authorization for you to procure the report. If the employee refuses, then the bank has a decision to make regarding reassignment or termination, correct?

Return to Top
#1857349 - 10/01/13 05:16 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
You are correct, IMO.

Return to Top
#1858536 - 10/04/13 02:59 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports hgliii
Kay Offline
100 Club
Midwest
I attended a Fed Reserve Compliance Seminar last week and the Examiner stated that a credit report would be required to be pulled for our existing MLOs since they were only "registered" under the SAFE Act (credit report not required for registered MLOs).

Return to Top
#1861685 - 10/16/13 03:45 AM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
Kay, I'm confused. The Fed examiner stated that existing MLOs would need a credit report pulled or wouldn't? The last part of your statement seems to indicate that they aren't required for existing MLOs. Of course it's late, and I'm probably reading that incorrectly.

Return to Top
#1861706 - 10/16/13 01:38 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By: leobsayer
Kay, I'm confused. The Fed examiner stated that existing MLOs would need a credit report pulled or wouldn't? The last part of your statement seems to indicate that they aren't required for existing MLOs. Of course it's late, and I'm probably reading that incorrectly.

What Kay is saying is that under the SAFE Act registered MLOs were not required to have a credit report pulled when they registered. Now, however, under the Reg Z LO Compensation rule, those same MLOs would have to have a credit report pulled.

See Post #1847623 in this thread:
http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1846114

Originally Posted By: Dani York, CRCM
1026.36(f)(3) For each of its individual loan originator employees who is not required to be licensed and is not licensed as a loan originator pursuant to § 1008.103 of this chapter or State SAFE Act implementing law:

---background check (would already have from registration of SAFE MLOs)
---credit report
---training

Commentary to 1026.36(f)(3)
1. Unlicensed individual loan originators. Section 1026.36(f)(3) sets forth actions that a loan originator organization must take for any of its individual loan originator employees who are not required to be licensed and are not licensed as a loan originator pursuant to the SAFE Act. Individual loan originators who are not subject to SAFE Act licensing generally include employees of depository institutions and their Federally regulated subsidiaries and employees of bona fide nonprofit organizations that a State has exempted from licensing under the criteria in 12 CFR 1008.103(e)(7).

1008.103 gives the requirements for who should be licensed and specifically excludes bank MLOs who are registered who have been exempted from licensing by their states. In TN at least, a bank MLO is exempt from licensing and the way I read 1026.36(f)(3), my MLOs would still need training (which we already do) and a credit report if not pulled at hire (I believe our bank already does this, but I know other banks in TN that don't).

Return to Top
#1861717 - 10/16/13 02:11 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks Dani. So, if I am understanding correctly, our existing MLOs, who were not required to have a credit report pulled under SAFE Act, are now retroactively required to have a credit report pulled and cannot act as an LO in January if they have not done so. This regulation does not simply impact those new LOs that are hired on or after January 10, 2014.

Return to Top
#1861738 - 10/16/13 02:31 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Thanks Dani. So, if I am understanding correctly, our existing MLOs, who were not required to have a credit report pulled under SAFE Act, are now retroactively required to have a credit report pulled and cannot act as an LO in January if they have not done so. This regulation does not simply impact those new LOs that are hired on or after January 10, 2014.

That's how I'm reading it.

Return to Top
#1863247 - 10/21/13 06:18 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports Dani York, CRCM
Rosie O'Grady Offline
Gold Star
Rosie O'Grady
California

That's how I'm reading it.

Okay, I'm really confused. In one of the prior threads, its states "The commentary states -Retroactive obtaining information not required.The Loan Originator Organization is not required to obtain the covered informatino for an indivdual whom the loan origniator hired before 1/1/2014 and screened under the SAFE Act. However, if that person quits and comes back, then they are required to obtain all the information. 1026.36(f)(3)(i)-2. Also in the guide it says if you become aware of an event that could disqualify an LO, you must re-screen.

So, if we have registered MLOs, do we need to pull credit?

Return to Top
#1863253 - 10/21/13 06:27 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
If you have an existing credit report on the LO, you don't have to pull a new one. If you never pulled one on them prior, you need one now. That's how i read it.

Return to Top
#1863257 - 10/21/13 06:35 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX

Only if if you become aware of an event that could disqualify an LO

Return to Top
#1863264 - 10/21/13 06:43 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
Wow. At least I'm not alone. Everyone is all over the map on this one.

Return to Top
#1863293 - 10/21/13 07:09 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports rlcarey
Rosie O'Grady Offline
Gold Star
Rosie O'Grady
California
Originally Posted By: rlcarey

Only if if you become aware of an event that could disqualify an LO

So, if we didn't originally pull credit & aren't aware of any issues, we don't need to pull credit on existing MLOs, correct?

Return to Top
#1863296 - 10/21/13 07:18 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I'm a little late to this discussion, but I'm looking at 36(f)(3)(ii):

i) Obtain for any individual whom the loan originator organization hired on or after January 1, 2014 (or whom the loan originator organization hired before this date but for whom there were no applicable statutory or regulatory background standards in effect at the time of hire or before January 1, 2014, used to screen the individual)

Your registered MLOs were subject to the regulatory required background checks established at 1007.104(h). Just because that did not include a credit report at that time does not mean you have to go back and get one now.

Return to Top
#1863304 - 10/21/13 07:29 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports Dani York, CRCM
leo_bsayer Offline
Platinum Poster
1026.36(f)(3) For each of its individual loan originator employees who is not required to be licensed and is not licensed as a loan originator pursuant to § 1008.103 of this chapter or State SAFE Act implementing law:

---background check (would already have from registration of SAFE MLOs)
---credit report
---training

Commentary to 1026.36(f)(3)
1. Unlicensed individual loan originators. Section 1026.36(f)(3) sets forth actions that a loan originator organization must take for any of its individual loan originator employees who are not required to be licensed and are not licensed as a loan originator pursuant to the SAFE Act. Individual loan originators who are not subject to SAFE Act licensing generally include employees of depository institutions and their Federally regulated subsidiaries and employees of bona fide nonprofit organizations that a State has exempted from licensing under the criteria in 12 CFR 1008.103(e)(7).

1008.103 gives the requirements for who should be licensed and specifically excludes bank MLOs who are registered who have been exempted from licensing by their states. In TN at least, a bank MLO is exempt from licensing and the way I read 1026.36(f)(3), my MLOs would still need training (which we already do) and a credit report if not pulled at hire (I believe our bank already does this, but I know other banks in TN that don't).
[/quote]

RL, can you comment on the information that Dani York posted, quoted above from 1026.36? It specifically refers to those individuals who are not required to be licensed, who are simply registered.

Return to Top
#1863322 - 10/21/13 07:39 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
She is quoting from the same section of the regulation that I am. Yes, I agree - MLOs for depository institution's are not normally subject to the SAFE Act licensing requirements. But that does not mean they were not subject to applicable statutory or regulatory background standards in effect at the time of hire under 1007.104(h).

Return to Top
#1864895 - 10/24/13 10:14 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports rlcarey
river girl Offline
Diamond Poster
What if at time of hire, the employee was hired as a teller or back office staff and we performed our normal credit report pull and criminal background check.

Now thru promotion, they are a lender and doing real estate equity loans. Do we need to pull new credit reports and criminal background checks since the original ones weren't while they were in the capacity of a "loan officer"?

Return to Top
#1864909 - 10/24/13 10:58 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If they are not currently licensed at the State level or have not gone through the background checks and are registered with NMLS, yes.

Return to Top
#1866254 - 10/29/13 08:41 PM Re: LOs/MLOs and Credit Reports leo_bsayer
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
I thought I understood this but now I'm questioning myself. If your LO's are not required to register under the SAFE Act due to the diminimus exception, then it was my understanding we would only have to apply the LO background check/credit report/training to any new hires after 1/1/14 or if we had a reasonable basis to believe current LO's do not meet the financial standards etc. (Or if a current employee is promoted to LO position). Is that correct?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2