BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1859347 - 10/08/13 01:44 PM The lovely commute in
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I drive the lake ponchartrain causeway daily, the longest bridge in the world at just over 23 miles. Today there were 2 wrecks on the bridge, and by the time i arrived at work they were reporting 5 wrecks...don't know for a fact but i bet each can be attributed to drivers playing on their cell phones while driving. i was almost sideswiped by a guy who was doing that very thing this morning, and it amazes me the number of people that are now texting or emailing while driving...

seriously people, nothing is so important that you have to answer right away. put down the phone and drive.

thank you, that is all

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1859351 - 10/08/13 01:46 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I was not upset at all when GA banned such behavior. This girl came in the bank awhile back distraught because she had received a ticket [$300+] for texting while 'driving'. The deal was, she was stopped at either a red light or train (can't remember now). They don't play, if you are behind the wheel on a road and the motor is going, you better don't do it!~
Last edited by RR Joker; 10/08/13 01:47 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1859357 - 10/08/13 01:54 PM Re: The lovely commute in RR Joker
A_G Offline
10K Club
Here in NY they just increased the fine and it's an automatic 5 points on your license.

To give some perspective, that's the same number of points as "reckless driving" or "failing to stop for a school bus."

And here are the points for speeding - so somewhere in that range:
11 - 20 MPH 4 points
21 - 30 MPH 6 points

Obviously they are serious about this.

Return to Top
#1859359 - 10/08/13 01:55 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
we have that same law, it is rarely enforced. although if the wreck is bad enough they will check your provider to see if texting was taking place at the time of the wreck

Return to Top
#1859361 - 10/08/13 01:57 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I don't even keep my phone up with me, it stays in the back seat inside my purse. In an emergency, I could reach my purse, but I'd rather just have it out of sight and out of mind while driving.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1859362 - 10/08/13 01:58 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
We passed a law a while back, it was given a year grace period, and you won't get ticketed for it alone, only if you're pulled over for something else at the same time. I've not heard of a single ticket resulting from this. frown

And Happy, you must not understand the importance of getting in your Candy Crush levels before work!

Return to Top
#1859364 - 10/08/13 02:00 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
A_G Offline
10K Club
It's heavily enforced around here.

There are (usually weekends) timeframes dedicated to catching drivers using cell phones while driving (operation "hang up" or some other catchy name like that).

Return to Top
#1859367 - 10/08/13 02:01 PM Re: The lovely commute in Matt_B
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Matt_B
We passed a law a while back, it was given a year grace period, and you won't get ticketed for it alone, only if you're pulled over for something else at the same time.

That's how it used to be here - it was a "secondary offense" - they couldn't actually ticket you for it unless you were doing something else wrong at the time, like speeding.

That has drastically changed.

Return to Top
#1859368 - 10/08/13 02:03 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I know some IL cities have have 'hands free' laws and most school and construction zones are 'hands free'... I don't know if we have a texting law. We should considering how congested the roads are in and around the city.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1859375 - 10/08/13 02:12 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Sorry, but this is what distracted driving laws are for. There is no need for special laws around cell phone use. You can be just as distracted by changing the radio station, applying makeup, shaving, eating, or talking to a passenger in your vehicle. Laws specifically directed at cell phone use are merely a way for politicians to accumulate good will with the voting public as there are already laws on the books which, if enforced, would take care of the problem.

::Steps down off of soapbox and drops the mic::

Return to Top
#1859379 - 10/08/13 02:22 PM Re: The lovely commute in A_G
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: A_G
Originally Posted By: Matt_B
We passed a law a while back, it was given a year grace period, and you won't get ticketed for it alone, only if you're pulled over for something else at the same time.

That's how it used to be here - it was a "secondary offense" - they couldn't actually ticket you for it unless you were doing something else wrong at the time, like speeding.

That has drastically changed.

AG in NY you can still us your phone while at a red light or stopped for a train until

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S3718-2013

Gets passed.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1859384 - 10/08/13 02:42 PM Re: The lovely commute in Purple Pride
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: Purple Pride
Sorry, but this is what distracted driving laws are for. There is no need for special laws around cell phone use. You can be just as distracted by changing the radio station, applying makeup, shaving, eating, or talking to a passenger in your vehicle. Laws specifically directed at cell phone use are merely a way for politicians to accumulate good will with the voting public as there are already laws on the books which, if enforced, would take care of the problem.

::Steps down off of soapbox and drops the mic::

This I agree with, by placing signs in the School Zones that specifically address cell phone usage, it gives the impression that you can be eating a Double Quarter Pounder with one hand, holding a Large Diet Coke in the other, while driving with your knees through the school zone, as long as you aren't talking on the phone.

Not that I recommend such driving habits, or even dietary habits. If you are going to have a Double Quarter Pounder, you need not have the Diet Coke, go all the way.
Last edited by Jays; 10/08/13 02:43 PM.

Return to Top
#1859387 - 10/08/13 02:46 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I guess I figured they all fell into the same bucket as distracted driving laws, but maybe not. But you know how people are... if you don't tell them explicitly that something is not allowed, they will argue they didn't know. Look at all the ridiculous warning labels we have on the things we buy everyday!

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1859389 - 10/08/13 02:47 PM Re: The lovely commute in Katy Auditor
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Jays
Not that I recommend such driving habits, or even dietary habits. If you are going to have a Double Quarter Pounder, you need not have the Diet Coke, go all the way.

ahem, you forgot fries

Return to Top
#1859393 - 10/08/13 02:50 PM Re: The lovely commute in manimal
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: manimal
I guess I figured they all fell into the same bucket as distracted driving laws, but maybe not. But you know how people are... if you don't tell them explicitly that something is not allowed, they will argue they didn't know. Look at all the ridiculous warning labels we have on the things we buy everyday!

Right? Like the Do Not Eat packets that are in shoes boxes? I mean I can almost see the label for the things in the beef jerky at least there is a food product near by, but shoes, really?

Hey Martha, Nike is starting to put a salt packet in with their Free Runs. What a clever idea.

Return to Top
#1859398 - 10/08/13 02:51 PM Re: The lovely commute in Peepers
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: Peepers

ahem, you forgot fries

between the legs, of course, it aids in keeping the knees at the necessary 4 and 8 on the steering wheel.

Return to Top
#1859423 - 10/08/13 03:20 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
I never used to honk at people, but lately it seems I've used my horn a lot. When I see someone looking down, I assume they are texting. When the light turns green and they are slow on the gas, the horn gets hit. I figure if there is a cop around maybe they'll see it and fine the driver. It's a $200 ticket here.

Return to Top
#1859425 - 10/08/13 03:24 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
they have it specific because "distracted driving" leaves much open to interpretation..."no texting while driving" is explicit and much easier to enforce.

Return to Top
#1859440 - 10/08/13 03:38 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
they have it specific because "distracted driving" leaves much open to interpretation..."no texting while driving" is explicit and much easier to enforce.

So eating while driving, applying makeup, shaving, etc. are adequately addressed by non-specific distracted driving laws? Or do we need laws specific to these activities as well to ensure that people are aware of what is allowed/not allowed while driving? Sorry, but if use of cell phones (whether texting or talking) needs to be spelled out specifically then we should do the same for these other activities. (I don't believe this by the way)
Also, there should be a law against drivers speaking to passengers while driving as this is no less a distraction then talking on a cell phone.

Return to Top
#1859455 - 10/08/13 04:02 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
SILENCE.....I am driving.

Return to Top
#1859460 - 10/08/13 04:07 PM Re: The lovely commute in Katy Auditor
Peepers Offline
10K Club
what about using a (Bimmer approved) iPhone as a music player instead of texting?

is it possible that could be interepreted as texting when in fact it is not

sorry officer, you got it wrong, I wasn't texting, I was searching a playlist for a particular song, I realize I still drove up the curb and almost hit a person but it wasn't due to texting, please take your ticket and shove it

Return to Top
#1859465 - 10/08/13 04:08 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I drive the lake ponchartrain causeway daily, the longest bridge in the world at just over 23 miles. Today there were 2 wrecks on the bridge, and by the time i arrived at work they were reporting 5 wrecks...don't know for a fact but i bet each can be attributed to drivers playing on their cell phones while driving. i was almost sideswiped by a guy who was doing that very thing this morning, and it amazes me the number of people that are now texting or emailing while driving...

seriously people, nothing is so important that you have to answer right away. put down the phone and drive.

thank you, that is all

Just be glad the government didn't decide that the areas to the left or right of the bridge were a national monument and closed to bridge to "make a point".

Return to Top
#1859469 - 10/08/13 04:12 PM Re: The lovely commute in Katy Auditor
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
SILENCE.....I am driving.

laugh

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1859569 - 10/08/13 06:09 PM Re: The lovely commute in Purple Pride
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Purple Pride

So eating while driving, applying makeup, shaving, etc. are adequately addressed by non-specific distracted driving laws? Or do we need laws specific to these activities as well to ensure that people are aware of what is allowed/not allowed while driving? Sorry, but if use of cell phones (whether texting or talking) needs to be spelled out specifically then we should do the same for these other activities. (I don't believe this by the way)
Also, there should be a law against drivers speaking to passengers while driving as this is no less a distraction then talking on a cell phone.

maybe i'm unique, but i've never heard of a person getting a ticket for eating or putting on makeup while driving

Return to Top
#1859578 - 10/08/13 06:19 PM Re: The lovely commute in HappyGilmore
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Some dimbulb rear-ended me while putting on her makeup. I wanted to beat the snot out of her. smile

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4