BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1861278 - 10/14/13 03:45 PM Columbus Day
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Who's here today? Just a couple of banks in our area are closed. Wish we were one of them...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1861281 - 10/14/13 03:55 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Ha, totally forgot today is a holiday fpor my banker buddies!!!

Return to Top
#1861282 - 10/14/13 03:57 PM Re: Columbus Day Dip
Y'all Comply Offline
100 Club
Y'all Comply
Land of Pears
Originally Posted By: Dip
Ha, totally forgot today is a holiday fpor my banker buddies!!!

Me too. Easy commute this morning!

FKA Jenabq

Return to Top
#1861284 - 10/14/13 04:04 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
Here. It seems the only way we'd EVER close on a Fed holiday is if the building was literally on fire or if there was a plague outbreak. crazy

Return to Top
#1861285 - 10/14/13 04:07 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Here!

Return to Top
#1861286 - 10/14/13 04:08 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Present. It's a rainy day here so that made it a little easier to come to work.

Return to Top
#1861288 - 10/14/13 04:22 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Pet peeve: It really shouldn't even be a holiday in this country. Columbus didn't discover anything and he really wasn't that great of a guy. (Ask the "Indians" as he called them - the idiot thought he was in India.)

We need to chuck it completely and make "Veterans Day" a full national holiday just like Memorial and Independence days...

Gee, I feel better. grin

“In January we commemorate the birth of Martin Luther King, Jr., who struggled to lift the blinders of racial prejudice and to cut the remaining bonds of slavery in America. In October, we honor Christopher Columbus, who opened the Atlantic slave trade and launched one of the greatest waves of genocide known in history.” Jack Weatherford
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 10/14/13 04:31 PM. Reason: Add quote

Return to Top
#1861289 - 10/14/13 04:25 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I would love Veterans Day to get a whole lot more respect.

Return to Top
#1861291 - 10/14/13 04:27 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Here in South Dakota, we call it Native American Day, not Columbus Day. Whatever it's called, we're here.

Return to Top
#1861292 - 10/14/13 04:34 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
JacksTigger Offline
Gold Star
JacksTigger
lost in compliance land
Here but only for half the day, since i scheduled appointments for the kiddos for the afternoon.

CRCM

Return to Top
#1861293 - 10/14/13 04:49 PM Re: Columbus Day E.E.G.B
Y'all Comply Offline
100 Club
Y'all Comply
Land of Pears
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
I would love Veterans Day to get a whole lot more respect.

I agree.

FKA Jenabq

Return to Top
#1861295 - 10/14/13 05:30 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we are open, although i'm not sure why...Fed is closed, branch has seen 2 customers before noon...no posting is taking place...stoopid

Return to Top
#1861296 - 10/14/13 05:45 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
_erica_ Offline
_erica_
Margaritaville
I am home.. my bank is closed.

Had to get on and check the ornie PM.

Return to Top
#1861297 - 10/14/13 05:54 PM Re: Columbus Day HappyGilmore
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
we are open, although i'm not sure why...Fed is closed, branch has seen 2 customers before noon...no posting is taking place...stoopid

We have tried to get managment to close down but since our direct competitor is open so we are too frown

Return to Top
#1861301 - 10/14/13 06:10 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
Peepers Offline
10K Club
other days that should be national holidays:

the day new Megadeth CDs are released

Return to Top
#1861302 - 10/14/13 06:11 PM Re: Columbus Day Peepers
Peepers Offline
10K Club
the Monday after the Superbowl

Return to Top
#1861306 - 10/14/13 06:38 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Home, we are closed. But Agree that Veterans Day should get much more attention.

Return to Top
#1861308 - 10/14/13 06:47 PM Re: Columbus Day Elwood P. Dowd
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
Pet peeve: It really shouldn't even be a holiday in this country. Columbus didn't discover anything and he really wasn't that great of a guy. (Ask the "Indians" as he called them - the idiot thought he was in India.)

We need to chuck it completely and make "Veterans Day" a full national holiday just like Memorial and Independence days...

Gee, I feel better. grin

“In January we commemorate the birth of Martin Luther King, Jr., who struggled to lift the blinders of racial prejudice and to cut the remaining bonds of slavery in America. In October, we honor Christopher Columbus, who opened the Atlantic slave trade and launched one of the greatest waves of genocide known in history.” Jack Weatherford

I think history has largely misrepresented what actually happened with Colombus. In a way that would suggest some of the things you write have merit, and in a way that would discredit what you write. 500 years gives people plenty of time to revise history over and over again.

Return to Top
#1861315 - 10/14/13 07:04 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
fwiw, Ken, my elder granddaughter, the history buff, told me the same thing in almost exactly those words.

I don't know that I think Columbus or any individual deserves a 'day'. I would much rather have an outstanding group like the veterans get the tribute they so richly deserve.

Return to Top
#1861316 - 10/14/13 07:06 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
NanaK Offline
Near the water
Considering we remained open during hurricane Isaac and employees drove through crazy wind and trees being hurled across roads only to discover that so much water was covering the most of the roads that we had no choice but to turn around and go home....yeah, we're definitely open today.

Return to Top
#1861317 - 10/14/13 07:09 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Ken, my son also echoed that. Then he said we are Italians, it should still be a holiday! Ps, I am off and he has school. Lol. laugh

Return to Top
#1861319 - 10/14/13 07:14 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, clearly if people were already here when Columbus arrived he disn't discover it. However, by mapping the routes and setting up trade with the carribean islands, he did pave the way for other merchant seagoers to also begin trading with the new world, ultimately leading to settlements.

Did Columbus treat the indians any worse than the settlers who came from england did? may want to do some research into how American's treated the indians in the 1700 and 1800s before we start talking about eliminating holidays...

Return to Top
#1861320 - 10/14/13 07:21 PM Re: Columbus Day HappyGilmore
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
well, clearly if people were already here when Columbus arrived he disn't discover it. However, by mapping the routes and setting up trade with the carribean islands, he did pave the way for other merchant seagoers to also begin trading with the new world, ultimately leading to settlements.

Did Columbus treat the indians any worse than the settlers who came from england did? may want to do some research into how American's treated the indians in the 1700 and 1800s before we start talking about eliminating holidays...

Totally agree. Colombus did not enslave the natives. The Spanish however, mostly did. That said, most were dead by the time the conquistadors arrived. Pigs had smallpox changed history.

I realize that people from Europe and Asia had been here first (and that does not even take into account the people already living here), but at those times sea travel was too unpredictable and the Spanish paved the way for development of a new world. I am with you on this one.
Last edited by rED Herring; 10/14/13 07:22 PM.

Return to Top
#1861322 - 10/14/13 07:29 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
So he didn't treat them any worse than some other group. Still didn't treat them any better. And I still don't see a need for any individual honoree days when a group like the Vets should be getting the homage they deserve. btjmho and y'all have yours and none of us can do anything because it takes an act of congress to change/make a holiday and, considering the status quo, it'll be a cold day in hedoubletoothpicks before anything as minor as this gets changed. Unless, of course, Bob Costas decides to speak out about it. wink

Return to Top
#1861326 - 10/14/13 07:46 PM Re: Columbus Day ahkcompliance
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Quote:
So he didn't treat them any worse than some other group. Still didn't treat them any better.

Assuming you are attributing the actions of a country to an individual person who had not policy control over the issue, sure!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2