Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1859743 - 10/09/13 01:10 PM Need advice for my pup...
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
We got horrible news yesterday regarding our 7.5 year old lab (our baby)-she has bone cancer. A bit of background:
Shortly after we adopted her my FIL fell on her and shattered her femur (she was 5 mos. old). Vet performed surgery and after a couple months she was getting around pretty well. Several months after the surgery, she was limping again so we brought her in-turns out the original surgeon set the leg incorrectly and used the wrong plate and hardware. So surgery number 2 occurred to correct the first one, and the surgeon found she had an advanced case of hip displasia, so 3 months after that she had a hip replacement. After a couple months, she was good to go.

Fast forward to last week-she suddenly has a very hard time going up stairs-we notice her leg was swollen-I brought her in yesterday and after a couple of xrays, bone cancer is confirmed. It doesn't appear to have spread, but it isn't anything that can be cured-just managed. It is not uncommon for cancer to occur in the location of plates-although the vet can't confirm it was caused by the plate, it most likely was.

We have a couple of options:
1) Treat the pain, ride it out and she has maybe 6 months; or
2) Amputate the leg, treat with a couple rounds of chemo, and get 12-18 months.

She is otherwise in great health. Has anyone been through a similar situation and if so, care to share your experiences?

I appreciate your input.

Return to Top
#1859750 - 10/09/13 01:22 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
Post-it Offline
Post-it
Midwest
This makes me so sad and want to go home and cuddle with my own lab! I have never dealt with any serious issues with mine (yet) so I can't share with you but if it were my baby (which we treat her like one) I would prolong life as much as I could unless it caused her more pain.

As for amputation, my uncle ran over his dog (accident) and had to amputate his back leg. It took some adjusting but the dog soon learned how to balance and run/play with the rest of them. The dog was as happy as you could be, they don't notice the difference after awhile!

Good luck!

Return to Top
#1859752 - 10/09/13 01:31 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Sox - while I can't offer you any advice I just want to let you know that I'll be thinking about you and your family. Caring for a pet and trying to determine the best treatment is very difficult. While we have been blessed not to have an animal diagnosed with cancer, we've been through kidney failure and congestive heart failure.

{{HUGS}}

Return to Top
#1859767 - 10/09/13 02:00 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
It is such a personal decision. And I would recommend talking it over with your vet. Cancer with our furry babies is so cruel. I am so sorry.

Our guy was in pain. And chemo was not an option. We went with your first option, until the end, which was around 3 months later. We got 6 great years with our German Shepherd and for that I was thankful.

May your decision bring you peace and may your time together with her be well spent.

Return to Top
#1859769 - 10/09/13 02:03 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby, Sox. frown

If I had the means ($$$) I would most likely try to prolong life as much as possible, provided that my dog's quality of life would be good during that time.

If your dog is active for her age, then amputation might be a workable solution. Her good health should help her bounce back after the surgery, much like the other procedures she has had in the past.

Such tough decisions... I will be thinking about you and your family. frown

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1859801 - 10/09/13 02:43 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I'm so sorry, Sox. Thinking of you as you wrestle with this tough decision.

Return to Top
#1859846 - 10/09/13 03:08 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Wow, Sox...I'm sooo very sorry. frown

If there is any possiblity amputation would remove the cancer, based on:

Quote:
It doesn't appear to have spread

I'd go for it. I've know many, many 3-legged fur babies that could keep up with the best of the 4-legged rascals!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1859912 - 10/09/13 04:10 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts. My inclination is the surgery/chemo route given her otherwise good health and relatively young age. Mrs Sox isn't there yet but she is still working through it and doing research. I can't even imagine not going all out in this situation.

Joker-we just happened to see a 3 legged lab at the park this weekend and I commented how easily he/she was getting along.

Return to Top
#1859921 - 10/09/13 04:31 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Dogs are incredibly adaptive, I really do think they live "in the moment". Do you have any other dogs at home, Sox? I've heard about other dogs in the home "helping" a disabled/elderly/blind companion dog. In fact, our rescue group had a pair of dogs that had to be adopted together because one was the "seeing eye dog" for the other, who was blind.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1859945 - 10/09/13 05:12 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Friends of ours have that type of situation manimal-one looks after the other.

She is the only dog -we do have an 18 year old cat that is a real crank. laugh

Return to Top
#1859948 - 10/09/13 05:22 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Sox, my dog has the same cancer except it comes from his jawbone.

Have they biopsied? Most bone cancers are aggressive and I understnd that amputation is a better option for the dog (a bit harder for my dog with the jaw). Once in a while the cancer is the less aggressive type.

I understand that the amputation is pretty common treatment and the dogs get a long just fine. You might spend less loney this way then just trying to treat and alomost certainly have it come back.

I have spent nearly $7,000 on trying to treat my dog. I wish I could go back to day one and opt for removing part of his jaw and cut the losses to $5,000 but I had already spent $2,000 just trying to find out what the problem was and removing the tumor. I didn't have another $5,000 to go forward from there.

My dog is also, other than the cancer, very happy and healthy, even at almost 11 years old, he still goes for runs, plays and is in great shape.

Anyway, I know what you're going through. It's a tough decision.

I'm here if you want to compare notes from the vet, etc.

Return to Top
#1859976 - 10/09/13 05:49 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Please don't bash me for what I'm about to say.
Let me preface my comments by saying that, being a pragmatist, I cannot justify spending huge amounts of money on medical interventions for an animal. Not only would it be fiscally irresponsible for me, it is an animal and not a person. Again, this is MY phylosophy and definitely not Sox's.

So, if the prognosis was for years, rather than months, I'd say try the 3 legged route. But it's really only for months more. Sure other dogs bounce back and do fine. But you said it took her months to recover when she was a year or two old. It's safe to assume that five years later, she could use up a good chunk of the time the vet says she has left just recovering.

Don't get me wrong, we did surgery on our Cavalier to fix her dysplasia but she was only a year old and she's ten now. The older newfie in our family just lives with his because it's just too much to put him through at this point in his life.

That's the only real point I'm putting out there for you to ponder, Sox.
I truly hope you and the Mrs. and your dog will have plenty of good time left.

Return to Top
#1859994 - 10/09/13 06:00 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I am one of those people who will go into debt for my animals, but that's just who I am. They are members of my family, and I will do whatever it takes to care for them. Having said that, I also firmly believe in quality over quantity. Whichever route would give her the most time with the least pain is the one I, personally, would lean toward. Things like this are never an easy decision, and your family (and fur baby!) will be in my thoughts no matter what you choose.

Return to Top
#1860094 - 10/09/13 07:25 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I appreciate the input Truff. Fortunately for us, the expense isn't a concern. As Becca said, we are trying to weigh which option gives her the best quality of life going forward. We have spared no expense on her so far and don't plan to stop now if that gives her the best chance. Otherwise, why bother doing anything.

Return to Top
#1860132 - 10/09/13 08:31 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
When I was growing up, there was a beautiful 3-legged Irish setter that roamed the neighborhood. If you didn't know he had 3 legs, you'd have never guessed...he was like the neighborhood mascot or something...and absolutely beautiful. I haven't seen many (Irish setters) since that one...but he was something else!

Sorry..this brought up that memory of that smiling red-headed dog! smile

Return to Top
#1860139 - 10/09/13 08:46 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... RR Becca
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
I also firmly believe in quality over quantity.

That made our decision for us too. (Our dog's cancer was in the lymph system, though)

Return to Top
#1860192 - 10/10/13 12:34 AM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
Having lost 4 dogs to 4 different types of cancer, I know that each situation is different. My prayers are with you as your family works through the decision.

Return to Top
#1861693 - 10/16/13 12:58 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
We have decided to move forward with the surgery -it is scheduled for Monday, Oct. 21.

We found a great website called Tripawds-fantastic info and support for those with pets that have lost one or more limbs.

Thank you to everyone here for your support and comments.

Return to Top
#1861695 - 10/16/13 01:03 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
LOVE the term "tripawds!" laugh

I've know a lot of 3 legged dogs who got along just fine, Sox. I'm sure she'll do well!

Return to Top
#1861696 - 10/16/13 01:05 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Gosh...it took me a few tries before I got it! blush Awesome! And best of luck to you Sox, I think you've made a wise decision! smile

Return to Top
#1861700 - 10/16/13 01:16 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Fantastic news - and please keep us posted.

Return to Top
#1861732 - 10/16/13 02:29 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Wishing the very best for you, your family, and your very special pup, I hope the surgury goes well next week. smile

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1861802 - 10/16/13 03:30 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
:like:

Return to Top
#1861912 - 10/16/13 05:21 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
Dlynn58 Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
Wishing you the very best for your fur baby. Just having gone through back surgery with my fur baby, I pray for not only your pup, but for all of you. Praying all goes well.

Return to Top
#1863058 - 10/21/13 01:03 PM Re: Need advice for my pup... TB 12
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
How is Cassino doing, sox?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett