Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1861873 - 10/16/13 04:38 PM Officer forgot to sign the cashier's check
amberleigh Offline
Kansas
One of our loan officers issued a cashier's check payable to a customer, however, he forgot to sign the cashier's check. He wants to put a stop payment on it. I know you can't return a cashier's check as a stop payment (it was just issued today). What can we do about this cashier's check? If another bank is willing to accept it for deposit aren't we ok to just let it go through and if another bank won't, then the customer can come back and get it signed?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1861877 - 10/16/13 04:44 PM Re: Officer forgot to sign the cashier's check amberleigh
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I'll start with the easist solution, can you contact the customer to bring it back to be signed?

Return to Top
#1861883 - 10/16/13 04:49 PM Re: Officer forgot to sign the cashier's check amberleigh
amberleigh Offline
Kansas
they can't get ahold of the customer. if they continue to try and the customer doesn't answer and has already cashed the check somewhere else, will we have to pay it. I don't think we would want to return it as a missing signature if it is actually ok to pay.

Return to Top
#1861888 - 10/16/13 04:55 PM Re: Officer forgot to sign the cashier's check amberleigh
amberleigh Offline
Kansas
update: they did get ahold of the customer and the customer said they will mail us the check back, so the officer went ahead and WIRED the money. so now what options do we have if the customer would decide not to mail the check back to us?

Return to Top
#1861892 - 10/16/13 04:58 PM Re: Officer forgot to sign the cashier's check amberleigh
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Your loan officer is not the sharpest pencil in the pack are they. What real difference did the fact that the officer didn't sign the check make? Was the amount correct and was the transaction legitimate? Also, how is a loan officer signing this cashier's check unless this was someone else's deal??

Return to Top
#1861901 - 10/16/13 05:07 PM Re: Officer forgot to sign the cashier's check amberleigh
amberleigh Offline
Kansas
The amount of the check and transaction were both legitimate. From what I am gathering, the customer got a loan through our bank and the cashier's check was given to payoff the loan the customer had at another bank. I guess at this point we have to hope they are being honest about sending the check back since the wire has already been sent. otherwise, we have no valid reason to return the cashier's check?

Return to Top
#1861921 - 10/16/13 05:33 PM Re: Officer forgot to sign the cashier's check amberleigh
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes, you could return it as it is not properly payable. Either that or someone is going to have forged the signature on the check. But collecting on the check in that case is another issue.

"the cashier's check was given to payoff the loan the customer had at another bank." - Sounds like you need to review your internal controls in this situation. Most banks would never hand a check to a borrower for this purpose.

Return to Top
#1861941 - 10/16/13 06:10 PM Re: Officer forgot to sign the cashier's check rlcarey
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Unsigned, I don't think it's a cashiers check regardless of what it says across the top...

If it was presented for payment in tangible form you could have had dimwit come down to bookkeeping and sign it rather than send the wire. I would have given the head bookkeeper 5 minutes to draw a crowd first.

Don't let this lender fix anything, ever. Thanks for the chuckle. grin

Return to Top
#1862078 - 10/16/13 08:45 PM Re: Officer forgot to sign the cashier's check amberleigh
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Two time-honored sayings come to mind:

1. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

2. You can't fix stupid.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett