Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1863140 - 10/21/13 03:38 PM Import / Export fees paid in cash ????
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
Customer is a shipping company specializing in the transport of cargo to and from the Yucatan Peninsula. Cash deposits into business account have suddenly increased since June - appears to be structuring as well. When questioned, customer stated that the cash deposits are payments from customers for freight expense for imports and exports. Since mid-June 2013 - cash deposits exceed $143,500.00.

Is this normal - being paid in cash ?? I think not but this is the first time I have run across this situation.

Thanks!
Last edited by The Real Mobo; 10/21/13 03:38 PM.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1863142 - 10/21/13 03:40 PM Re: Import / Export fees paid in cash ???? CantBeShocked
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
seems like an unusual business arrangement...although in the liquor industry customers must pay (at least in Louisiana) before they receive their goods - no credit. So, very cash intensive business.

Return to Top
#1863167 - 10/21/13 04:13 PM Re: Import / Export fees paid in cash ???? CantBeShocked
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
File the SAR for structuring, but definitely mention the customer's explanation for the cash in the narrative. Note that it is a departure from his original activity and the denominations of the bills he deposits. If you find a respondent here who has some experience and can say it is or is not "normal," that's great, but put it in your SAR anyway.

Your SAR's readers may have enough knowledge to make the call without your analysis.
Last edited by Ken_Pegasus; 10/22/13 09:56 AM.

Return to Top
#1863175 - 10/21/13 04:30 PM Re: Import / Export fees paid in cash ???? CantBeShocked
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Just to add, for going forward, if the bank is going to retain this customer gain an understanding of their industry and the ins and outs of how works.

Does your commercial lending area conduct or have access to industry studies? See if they have resources that will help.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1863184 - 10/21/13 04:41 PM Re: Import / Export fees paid in cash ???? CantBeShocked
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
On import/export, the only cash payments I see regularly are 'cash to master' which is cash paid to the master of the vessel for port and miscellaneous charges. I never see actual payments for shipments or collections on account in cash.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z