Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1863132 - 10/21/13 03:23 PM Maintaining PDFs of ALL Supporting Documents
BlueEyedGirl Offline
BlueEyedGirl
somewhere between here and the...
Recently, our Big 4 consultants have indicated that the "Golden Rule" for Financial Institution IA Departments is for auditors to maintain copies of all supporting documents for every detailed test in order for the AIC to review all passes and fails. This rule applies for every sample and even for documents that reside in a system of record such as a loan origination system that could easily be obtained.

I have always only maintain copies of supporting documents for exceptions and observations.

Do any other IA shops follow this "Golden Rule"?

Return to Top
Audit
#1863159 - 10/21/13 04:07 PM Re: Maintaining PDFs of ALL Supporting Documents BlueEyedGirl
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
No we do not. There are certain audits we do follow this process, FDICIA and our HUD audit work. But for our normal audits, we only maintain documents of our exceptions. If I have a new auditor, I might have them print all documents during the training period, so I can identify their work process. I have never heard of this "Golden Rule".

Return to Top
#1863160 - 10/21/13 04:08 PM Re: Maintaining PDFs of ALL Supporting Documents BlueEyedGirl
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Why were these Big 4 consultants in your shop?

Return to Top
#1863161 - 10/21/13 04:07 PM Re: Maintaining PDFs of ALL Supporting Documents BlueEyedGirl
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I subcontract for a CPA firm occasionally and that has never been the case. I would be asking for more information and the basis to support such a recommendation prior to implementing such a change. It is going to significantly increase man hours per audit, which is probably the reason for such a recommendation by the big 4 consultant.

Return to Top
#1863193 - 10/21/13 04:49 PM Re: Maintaining PDFs of ALL Supporting Documents BlueEyedGirl
BlueEyedGirl Offline
BlueEyedGirl
The consultants are here assisting with the annual risk assessments. The question came up and they were happy to provide their input, which was immediately implemented. My response was that they are creating a resource issue so they can then offer their help $$$$. As a supervisor, I was told I must now review 100% of team's work including the work of my senior auditors. What happened to relying on the competency of my team?

Return to Top
#1863201 - 10/21/13 04:55 PM Re: Maintaining PDFs of ALL Supporting Documents BlueEyedGirl
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would be looking for new "consultants" as they should be helping you streamline processes not develop new meaningless processes.

Who implemented?? - only the board or the audit committee should be instituting such major changes to the audit processes.

Return to Top
#1863204 - 10/21/13 05:01 PM Re: Maintaining PDFs of ALL Supporting Documents BlueEyedGirl
BlueEyedGirl Offline
BlueEyedGirl
It is a reactive environment right now. The audit managers implemented the change.

Return to Top
#1863216 - 10/21/13 05:31 PM Re: Maintaining PDFs of ALL Supporting Documents BlueEyedGirl
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
We do not maintain copies of all audit supporting documentation. Only for exceptions. As oscupa also pointed out, for a new auditor, I may have him or her maintain copies so I can review their work process, understanding of the audit work, judgement, etc., until I am comfortable with the quality of their work. That is only for my review of the work, not for the official workpapers.

Return to Top
#1863236 - 10/21/13 05:58 PM Re: Maintaining PDFs of ALL Supporting Documents BlueEyedGirl
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The audit managers implemented the change.

Without reviewing your audit charter, it would be hard to say whether they have that power without concurrence of the audit committee. Hopefully they have fully assessed the additional time and costs for implementing this change and have fully informed the audit committee of the overall impact this change will have on the overall audit process, schedule and budget.

Return to Top
#1872343 - 11/19/13 01:45 PM Re: Maintaining PDFs of ALL Supporting Documents BlueEyedGirl
MTW75 Offline
Lexington, Kentucky
I've been an external and internal auditor for fifteen years and I've never heard of this "golden rule". Sounds like someone wants to go back to "auditing by the pound". When I select a sample I enter the sample into a spreadsheet, with various details (customer name, account/loan number, transaction amount, date, etc.); enough to allow a second person to pull the same source documentation I did and come to the same conclusions. I can't imagine any accounting systems these days where prior records aren't archived and easily obtainable (subject to record retention rules). I will keep copies of exceptions, as others mentioned, to enable the reviewer of my workpapers to see the exception noted and support the conclusion that was made.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z