Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1864157 - 10/23/13 03:30 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... edAudit
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Originally Posted By: Purple Pride
A local radio show up here was discussing this story yesterday and a caller was actually on the side of the parent and said they believed that this was bullying. They thought that the coach of the winning team should have had his team quit at halftime because they were so much better than the other team. And this caller was serious. (This same caller said that they had never played football, doesn't watch football, and was unsure about what else could have been done by the winning coach to not score 91 points)
mad crazy

They should have found a worse team to play the Giants. (sorry they found one last week)

Har har. Thanks for kicking me while I'm down. mad frown laugh

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1864164 - 10/23/13 03:38 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
They shouldn't have kept score. That way nobody would have been able to tell which team was better. wink

Return to Top
#1864173 - 10/23/13 03:45 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
For those who are not up to speed on high school sports...there is no ability to "stop" a game because of a score being to high, district matches must be completed and win-loss records in and out of district matter for rankings and seedings in playoffs...by agreement of both coaches they can have a running clock beginning in the 3rd quarter (weather issues, score too high, other reasons they agree on)...i suppose Aledo could have used 3 downs each series to make 10 yards ot get a first down and delayed the game, but if i'm the losing team and see them doing this (pitying me?) it would peeve me off (and in fact, usually this is where altercations come in to play during high school sports)...i'd rather see them giving their all, even if it is 3rd string, than laying down and playing weak against me.

Return to Top
#1864182 - 10/23/13 03:58 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
To me it kind of comes down to this; a parent that is completely devoid of accountablity in life. And probably is trying to tranfer that lack of accountablity to another generation. smirk
I weep for her children that will grow up thinking that everything that may be wrong is somebody else's fault and that they have no control over their life. Sad.

Return to Top
#1864200 - 10/23/13 04:22 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
I'm for doing away with trophies unless you earn them. You need to teach children how to lose and deal with adversity. If she's complaining know, what'll happen when little Timmy doesn't get a job he applied for? Will she complain that the interviewers weren't fair?

Return to Top
#1864202 - 10/23/13 04:24 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Rendar, CRCM Offline
Indiana
Maybe some day we'll remember that there will always be competition in life. The reason so many people don't know how to handle adversity is because we spend all our time telling people that everyone is a winner, everyone gets a medal.

If you don't want to lose, don't play the game.

Return to Top
#1864208 - 10/23/13 04:33 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
At least someone has some sense. This football league is no longer giving trophies to every kid.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/10/22/everyone-no-longer-a-winner-in-texas-youth-football-league/

Return to Top
#1864212 - 10/23/13 04:34 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Jafo
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By: Jafo

Really? Time to break out the helmets for everyone.

Where were the helmets when I was falling off the jungle-gym?

Return to Top
#1864215 - 10/23/13 04:38 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Rendar, CRCM
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: Rendar
Maybe some day we'll remember that there will always be competition in life. The reason so many people don't know how to handle adversity is because we spend all our time telling people that everyone is a winner, everyone gets a medal.

It's kind of a catch 22. You see scores like this because more kids are chosing not to play the games.

The school has 1500 students but only 30 playing varsity football. There are issues like this in some Houston metro schools as well and I am sure the Dallas metro is experiencing this too. Once proud and quality athletic programs are now a shadow of what they once were. I would bet that some of the players that play at Aledo now, were probably living in one of the other FW disticts until they went to junior high and high school. It is a sign of the times.

Return to Top
#1864222 - 10/23/13 04:47 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
I really think you all are being to hard on her and little Timmy. Weren't any of you taught 'we're all winners'? Everyone needs to get at least a ribbon, otherwise heaven for bid someone may have hurt feelings. Can you imagine a world where you get your feelings hurt??

I THINK NOT!!!

Okay back to reality folks, those kids ought to suck it up, tie some gasoline soaked rags around their ankles so the Texas fire ants (and they do hurt when they bite) don't crawl up their legs and bite their candy back sides.

Return to Top
#1864224 - 10/23/13 04:49 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... 'Lil Freak!
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
Originally Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Laying next to the jungle-gym on the asphalt... I remember when my grade school finally moved the swings of the asphalt to the grass. Funny thing is my friend promptly broke his arm playing superman of those swings.

Return to Top
#1864253 - 10/23/13 05:24 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Jafo
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
....tie some gasoline soaked rags around their ankles so the Texas fire ants (and they do hurt when they bite) don't crawl up their legs and bite their candy back sides.

LOL, Dale Earnhardt Senior said this in a NASCAR Driver's Meeting when they said the cars were going too fast.

Return to Top
#1864260 - 10/23/13 05:44 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
I'd be willing to bet (if I actually had any money) that you could go into most major school systems and offer $100 bill to any kid that would go out for football and stay out for the whole season and have plenty of $100 bills left over at the end of the season.
Geeze! We played, win or lose, because we wanted to compete!! Thats actually what the word means you know; that you could win OR lose!
I get asked by a lot of younger people (and few older) why I make everything a competition. I don't make it a competition. Nature made it a competiton, I just participate!

Return to Top
#1864262 - 10/23/13 05:57 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Competing is great, and i pretty much agree. Where i may be different is having success.....example: I'm by no means a great golfer, but i'm a good golfer. I couldn't have fun at golf playing it badly. I was the same way at basketball.....it's why i no longer play...i used to be good....age has made me not so good anymore, therefore, it is not enjoyable for me to participate anymore. I see lots of people who play both sports at roughly my age....many of them play them badly. That's cool for them if they enjoy that...i just can't.

Return to Top
#1864263 - 10/23/13 05:57 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Can you smell what the rock is cookin'?

Return to Top
#1864268 - 10/23/13 06:06 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... 'Lil Freak!
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Originally Posted By: 'Lil Freak!

Holding your other marbles whistle

Return to Top
#1864270 - 10/23/13 06:10 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... raitchjay
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Competing is great, and i pretty much agree. Where i may be different is having success.....example: I'm by no means a great golfer, but i'm a good golfer. I couldn't have fun at golf playing it badly. I was the same way at basketball.....it's why i no longer play...i used to be good....age has made me not so good anymore, therefore, it is not enjoyable for me to participate anymore. I see lots of people who play both sports at roughly my age....many of them play them badly. That's cool for them if they enjoy that...i just can't.

this is why I've just given up and stick to couch laying and channel surfing

Return to Top
#1864285 - 10/23/13 06:32 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
When I was playing little league baseball, against my will, the couch pulled his own son from his original spot in the lineup so I could hit cleanup. His son cried but his dad, the coach, yelled at him he wanted to do the best thing for the team. After that I thought it was best I did not mention I would rather be playing football again. Both of us kids had to man up and play, and guess what we all had fun.

Let the kids play!!!!

Return to Top
#1864292 - 10/23/13 06:45 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
I think the issue is starting to get confused. The issue isn't the kids that were out there playing or their desire to be out there playing, or their desire to compete. This is about one parent who didn't like the way her son was treated on the football field. The other 29 kids and their parents, to the best of my knowledge, haven't joined her in her bullying quest.

While I agree that not keeping score in Tball is a joke and giving participation trophies is counter productive to creating a competetive athletic situation, I think there is an equal responsibility to create a competetive playing field. That is why there are weight classifications in combat and hand to hand sports and why there is classifications based on school size etc

No one is really all that interested in watching Cain Velasquez beat the heck out of Dominick Cruz (for you UFC folks) and why Alabama vs Furman isn't the 8pm primetime game on ABC/ESPN.

Return to Top
#1864298 - 10/23/13 06:56 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Katy Auditor
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I think an Ndomakung Suh/Lou Holtz fist fight would have been a better and more effective mismatch illustration

Return to Top
#1864304 - 10/23/13 07:02 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Peepers
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: Peepers
I think an Ndomakung Suh/Lou Holtz fist fight would have been a better and more effective mismatch illustration

HA HA except I am not sure that wouldn't draw an audience.

Return to Top
#1864317 - 10/23/13 07:22 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... raitchjay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: raitchjay

well, at your age, shouldn't you just be about done with high school anyway? or do you still have a couple of years of eligibility left in Oklahoma?

Return to Top
#1864320 - 10/23/13 07:25 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Rendar, CRCM
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

As with many schools in big cities, what were once proud football schools have seen a transition from winning football programs to almost non-existent programs, because of the makeup of the students. This specific school school has many students who have an ethnic background that is more suited to real football than the american version, hence the low numbers on the pigskin team. Those who play certainly want to win the game, but the chance of that happening is slim.

Return to Top
#1864324 - 10/23/13 07:30 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Rendar, CRCM
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles

PRECISELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we are nearing an era where our country will be run by adults who were whiney arse kids who were babied by their parents to guard the kids feelings and make sure the kid continually thought he/she was the winner, the best, etc.

In grade school, I was the usually the last one chosen for a playground game because I was shy and not aggressive. That made me work on NOT being shy and BEING agressive.
Last edited by swiggles; 10/23/13 07:32 PM.

Return to Top
#1864325 - 10/23/13 07:29 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... HappyGilmore
Peepers Offline
10K Club
ha, real football

Return to Top
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5