Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1864334 - 10/23/13 07:43 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... swiggles
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: swiggles
Originally Posted By: Rendar
Maybe some day we'll remember that there will always be competition in life. The reason so many people don't know how to handle adversity is because we spend all our time telling people that everyone is a winner, everyone gets a medal.

If you don't want to lose, don't play the game.
PRECISELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we are nearing an era where our country will be run by adults who were whiney arse kids who were babied by their parents to guard the kids feelings and make sure the kid continually thought he/she was the winner, the best, etc.

In grade school, I was the usually the last one chosen for a playground game because I was shy and not aggressive. That made me work on NOT being shy and BEING agressive.

Every generation since the beginning of time has thought that those who followed them were spoiled brats and didn't have a clue and that "my generation" knew how the real world works. 17-25 year olds always think they are the cats behind. It has happened forever and will continue.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1864341 - 10/23/13 07:48 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... swiggles
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
[/quote]PRECISELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

In grade school, I was the usually the last one chosen for a playground game because I was shy and not aggressive. That made me work on NOT being shy and BEING agressive. [/quote]

How's that working out for ya with a certain someone who shall remain nameless (not like he would remember me mentioning his name at his age anyway)? smirk

Return to Top
#1864363 - 10/23/13 08:08 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Katy Auditor
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: Jays
Every generation since the beginning of time has thought that those who followed them were spoiled brats and didn't have a clue and that "my generation" knew how the real world works. 17-25 year olds always think they are the cats behind. It has happened forever and will continue.

That is true, but it doesn't mean that things are not getting worse.

Return to Top
#1864364 - 10/23/13 08:10 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Compligirl Offline
When I was young, we would call the winning team with that kind of score "classless." I'm not even sure that this would fall into that category since he took his starters out. But bulling??? I'm surprised the mother of this player even let's her baby dumpling play football. Parents need to wake up-teach your children that life is tough! I'm not sure how some children are going to cope when they find out Momma can't fight their battles for them the rest of their life. I hope that the child of this brainiac is mortified that their mother would do this, but I'm afraid in most cases "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

Return to Top
#1864369 - 10/23/13 08:19 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Momma can't fight their battles? Tell that to the ones that call into our collections department defending their adult kids and saying we're the bad ones and their kid is totally innocent.

It's funny listening to our collectors respond to those, then gripe about it afterwards. Had one yesterday, the borrower was 42! (and no, daddy wasn't a lawyer or anything that would explain why he was calling in for her)

Dang kids these days. Especially when they're older than me, it's just embarrassing! frown

Return to Top
#1864370 - 10/23/13 08:24 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Originally Posted By: Rendar
If you don't want to lose, don't play the game.

As with many schools in big cities, what were once proud football schools have seen a transition from winning football programs to almost non-existent programs, because of the makeup of the students. This specific school school has many students who have an ethnic background that is more suited to real football than the american version, hence the low numbers on the pigskin team. Those who play certainly want to win the game, but the chance of that happening is slim.

They are from acting families? laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1864374 - 10/23/13 08:26 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Matt_B
Compligirl Offline
[quote=Matt_B]Momma can't fight their battles? Tell that to the ones that call into our collections department defending their adult kids and saying we're the bad ones and their kid is totally innocent.

If this is just going to be the way society is, I may see if my mom can swing by the next time the examiners are in town!
Last edited by Compligirl; 10/23/13 08:27 PM.
Return to Top
#1864376 - 10/23/13 08:28 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... GuitarDude
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Originally Posted By: Jays

That is true, but it doesn't mean that things are not getting worse.

Just said that is the way it is and will continue to be.

Worse? Better? all I know is that it is different and the next generation will come along and it will be even more different.

Return to Top
#1864379 - 10/23/13 08:36 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I'm going to copy and paste this thread and email it to my mother when she asks why I haven't produced any grandchildren. Clearly I have no hope of being a good parent and the world they are being born into has no hope.

/end_sarcasm.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1864381 - 10/23/13 08:39 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... manimal
A_G Online
10K Club
I always tell my mother that if she wanted grandchildren she should have had more kids to increase her chances. smirk

Return to Top
#1864382 - 10/23/13 08:39 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... manimal
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: manimal
I'm going to copy and paste this thread and email it to my mother when she asks why I haven't produced any grandchildren. Clearly I have no hope of being a good parent and the world they are being born into has no hope.

/end_sarcasm.

Produce grandchildren? You can do this? I want to skip the raising part and just get the ones you can send home to their parents.

Return to Top
#1864384 - 10/23/13 08:41 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I always said in the past "you paying for college?"

CAMS

Return to Top
#1864385 - 10/23/13 08:41 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... manimal
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I see stories like this all of the time, and people complaining about the rules or laws of today versus how they were when we grew up. Well guess who is makingthe rules and laws of today, US. The only people we have to blame for our kids being lazy, wussafied, couch potatoes is us. I coach youth sports and half of the kids are so spoiled, arrogant, and dis-respectful, that I want to choke them and their idiot parents that raised them that way.

Return to Top
#1864390 - 10/23/13 08:48 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I agree.....it really isn't nearly as much of a generational problem as we like to make it.....good kids (and there are still plenty of them) are a pleasure to be around. Bad kids (and there are still plenty of them) are a PITA to be around. And this was true when all of us were kids.

Return to Top
#1864391 - 10/23/13 08:50 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... manimal
Rendar, CRCM Offline
Indiana
Originally Posted By: manimal

/end_sarcasm.

As a parent of two young kids, I am looking forward to/dreading the time when they can join organized sports. Will I be able to handle THAT parent? Will I, when it comes to it, be able to suppress the sarcastic cynicism gene I was blessed with when other parents are behaving like crazy people?

After all, holding it in can cause negative health issues...or maybe that was gas. Sometimes I get confused.

Return to Top
#1864393 - 10/23/13 08:51 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... raitchjay
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
Competing is great, and i pretty much agree. Where i may be different is having success.....example: I'm by no means a great golfer, but i'm a good golfer. I couldn't have fun at golf playing it badly. I was the same way at basketball.....it's why i no longer play...i used to be good....age has made me not so good anymore, therefore, it is not enjoyable for me to participate anymore. I see lots of people who play both sports at roughly my age....many of them play them badly. That's cool for them if they enjoy that...i just can't.

Yeah, that's pretty much the same as me. I'm a charter member of the Mediocre Athletes of America! But I continue to have success. And, I believe that success can be defined many ways.

Return to Top
#1864398 - 10/23/13 08:54 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Raitchjay and GoBucs - I agree, the biggest difference is access to the media, both social and mainstream. Like you said, we had wimpy kids, couch potatoes, lazy kids, bad kids, etc when we were young. The difference is the only outlet was to whine to the principal or to another parent. Now days the world knows as soon as mommy or daddy is upset.

Return to Top
#1864399 - 10/23/13 08:53 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Rendar, CRCM
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
Sarcasm, cynicism, and gas are all necessary to survive youth sports today.

Return to Top
#1864410 - 10/23/13 09:15 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
You may all think less of me after this, but here goes...

When my daughter complained of not being in a "better" swim team lane, (they are assigned lanes according to speed and skill) my husband had two words of advice for her.

Suck Less

She then complained to me. I had two words of advice for her.

Swim Faster

We refuse to wussafy our child. She may need therapy later on, but if she wants to participate in an individual sport (swimming), there is no amount of coddling that will help her. What she wanted was for us to complain to the coach. That's not what she got.

Last night she asked her coach if she could stay after practice and swim an extra 200.

Return to Top
#1864412 - 10/23/13 09:19 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... QCL
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: QCL-MamaBear
Suck Less

Excellent advice for almost anyone.

Return to Top
#1864418 - 10/23/13 09:28 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
What's hard is when a parent is angry and wants to know why their child isn't getting to play more.......and are not interested in the diplomatic approach. After awhile, you're almost left no choice but to give them the "your son/daughter just isn't very good" speech.

Return to Top
#1864422 - 10/23/13 09:31 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... Bankbb1, PITA
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
QCL, I think that's perfectly fine! Making her see that she's accountable for her own fate isn't going to hurt her at all! Now, if you chase her around in a jet-ski throwing things at her while she swims...well that might get rough on her, but it sounds like you're doing a great thing!

Return to Top
#1864423 - 10/23/13 09:30 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... QCL
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
You may all think less of me after this, but here goes...

When my daughter complained of not being in a "better" swim team lane, (they are assigned lanes according to speed and skill) my husband had two words of advice for her.

Suck Less

She then complained to me. I had two words of advice for her.

Swim Faster

We refuse to wussafy our child. She may need therapy later on, but if she wants to participate in an individual sport (swimming), there is no amount of coddling that will help her. What she wanted was for us to complain to the coach. That's not what she got.

Last night she asked her coach if she could stay after practice and swim an extra 200.

::like::

Return to Top
#1864433 - 10/23/13 10:04 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... swiggles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: swiggles
we are nearing in an era where our country will be is being run by whiney arse adults

fixed for accuracy

Return to Top
#1864435 - 10/23/13 10:03 PM Re: And the wussafying of America continues... MB Guy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Suck Less

Excellent advice for almost anyone.

Whoa! let's not get crazy here

this may be good advice in some cases but there are a few that come to mind where the opposite is true, just sayin

Return to Top
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5