Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1863910 - 10/22/13 08:28 PM SSN for work purposes
bowlngirl Offline
I'm kind of confused on this. When customer presents a social security card with the statement "Valid for work only with DHS authorization" would they be a non-resident alien? Would there be any instances when a resident alien would have one with this statement?

Thanks,

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1863913 - 10/22/13 08:32 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
A resident alien has a right to be in the U.S. and does not need DHS authorization to work here. How is this impacting your bank?

Return to Top
#1863923 - 10/22/13 08:42 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#1864556 - 10/24/13 03:05 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
lisa Offline
Gold Star
Gainesville, TX USA
We have one in our lobby right now applying for a loan - and are researching as we speak.

Return to Top
#1864557 - 10/24/13 03:07 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That still does not tell us what the issue might be. A SS card is not a form of ID.

Return to Top
#1865760 - 10/28/13 08:32 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
The issue / question is whether or not a NON-resident alien or a resident alien classification would be appropriate here.

Return to Top
#1865768 - 10/28/13 08:49 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Non-resident alien if the SS card says "Valid for work with DHS authorization" (or words to that effect).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1865789 - 10/28/13 09:54 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
bowlngirl Offline
Yes the issue was whether they would be classified as a resident or non-resident alien. Our concern is whether a W-8BEN or W-9 is required.

Return to Top
#1865796 - 10/28/13 10:14 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
IMHO - You cannot determine residency by examining a SS card that the person presents nor should you. And regardless, even if they are a non-resident alien, if they pass the substantial presence test, they complete a W-9.

Return to Top
#1866005 - 10/29/13 04:19 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
If they pass the substantial presence test they are not a non-resident alien, they are a resident alien who may or may not have obtained their "Green" card. (and yes, they complete a Form W-9).

Return to Top
#1866013 - 10/29/13 04:22 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If they pass the substantial presence test they are not a non-resident alien.

Well, that's the problem with this line of thinking. IRS status and immigration status are two totally separate issues. If all it took was staying here to be a resident alien, then we would not be having this national debate over immigration.

Return to Top
#1866074 - 10/29/13 05:39 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
The question above is not in relation to immigration status - it is in relation to IRS resident / non-resident status. I was in IRS Information reporting for years. If they pass the substantial presence test, they are a RESIDENT alien for tax purposes and for reporting purposes.

See:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Substantial-Presence-Test

Return to Top
#1866085 - 10/29/13 06:04 PM Re: SSN for work purposes bowlngirl
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I was never questioning your statements, but thanks for the lecture.

My only point was that people continually confuse the two issues. This original thread after all started (after much clarification) with trying to figure out whether a W-9 or W-8BEN needed to be completed based on the type of SSN card that was presented.

My point was that you could not determine either (IRS or immigration status) based on that document alone. This post is in the BSA/AML forum. It's general theme does not normally include IRS reporting and the use of the term non-resident alien has a very specific meaning under BSA/AML compliance considerations. Since I visit many banks and talk to many bankers in the course of a year, you would be surprised at the confusion over these issues that continue to exist. I was only attempting to point out the differences within the context of this forum

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z