Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#426113 - 09/21/05 07:44 PM Promoting employee wellness
TNBanker Offline
100 Club
I am beginning to develop some incentive programs for our bank related to healthcare. I am curious about what other banks have provided for their employees.

Here is a quick list of some of the ideas we have: 1) a health fair, 2) bringing a PA or nurse practioner into the branches and providing a basic physical for employees (with the bank paying the employees co-pay), 3) using some vacant space in our building for exercise equipment, or 4) rewarding healthy lifestyle changes with paid time off or cash.

We are just in the embryonic stages of this, so any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#426114 - 09/21/05 08:24 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness
Bankster Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
Our community has a health challenge every year, it lasts for about 4 months. Businesses can sign up and employees of the businesses could participate if they wanted, they would get points for each day of exercise and each day of eating 5 fruits and veggies. Charts were made up explaining the amount of time participants would have to do for different exercises, walking, running, biking, etc... there was also an explanation of what a serving of different fruits and veggies consisted of....a cup, 1/2 cup, etc..there were prizes awarded to those with the highest scores. You could do something like this for just your employees. It was fun.

Return to Top
#426115 - 09/21/05 08:37 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
We offer a cash wellness benefit of up to $120 annual reimbursement to our employees for health club dues, Weight Watchers, etc. It is very popular and easy to administer.

Return to Top
#426116 - 09/21/05 09:40 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
We've had health fairs and sponsor on site (lunch hour) Weightwatchers and smoking cessation programs. In the past we offered cash to employees who quit smoking. We also arrange for on-site flu shots each year. Participation varies by program - flu shots are very popular. I've always liked the 5 minute back massage at the health fair.

Return to Top
#426117 - 09/22/05 05:26 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
We have an employee incentive that we will pay $250 towards any health club membership. About 40% of the employees use this, although I think only about 10% of them go regularly - but they won't contribute that amount to a new bike for me:(.

Be wary of putting a facility in house and employees using it during work hours, such as lunch. A previous employer had an in-house weight room, adn an employee injured himself at lunch and was award workers comp. This was in Louisiana, not sure how other states would address it.

Return to Top
#426118 - 09/22/05 06:04 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a little leary of incentive programs, unless they're very well thought out.

For example, does a person smart enough NEVER to smoke get anything, or just one who quits? Is every fat person presumed to be in need of lifestyle changes, or is there recognition of genetic differences?

Return to Top
#426119 - 09/23/05 12:56 AM Re: Promoting employee wellness
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Be sure to look to your benefits program before you try to promote your support of wellness. I once worked at an instituion that talked the talk, but when it came to walking the walk, their insurance didn't cover things like annual exams, well baby care, etc. If you want to have your employees buy into your good intentions, make sure they're there in that tangible way before you bother trying anything else.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#1359864 - 03/18/10 03:42 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness Anonymous
mmumm Offline
100 Club
Santa Cruz, California
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
I'm a little leary of incentive programs, unless they're very well thought out.

For example, does a person smart enough NEVER to smoke get anything, or just one who quits? Is every fat person presumed to be in need of lifestyle changes, or is there recognition of genetic differences?

I agree. I have seen companies allow their employees to complete a health assessment through their insurance provider's website. once the employee completes the assessment, if a lower score is received, the employee has the opportunity to enroll in a suggested improvement program through the website, which will earn them extra cash if they utilize it; however, for the employee who scores high on the assessment, no such improvement program is offered, and therefore the employee who is already healthy does not get the same incentive as one who is not currently as healthy but can "improve".

I'd be interested to know what some other people are doing in terms of types of wellness programs/incentives.
Last edited by mmumm; 03/18/10 03:43 PM.
Return to Top
#1360690 - 03/19/10 02:30 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness mmumm
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
we pay $250 toward health club membership, and have agreements with a number of health clubs that this is the total annual cost, therefore, the employee pays no out of pocket

Return to Top
#1362807 - 03/24/10 01:27 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness HappyGilmore
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
In Jan. we started a smoking cessation program, weight loss program, and counting exercise points for prizes. Since not everyone needs to quit smoking or lose weight the counting exercise points would benefit anyone. These programs are running for 9 months. There are monetary rewards: up to $200 for becoming smoke free or losing the most % of weight. Exercise points are redeemed for pedometer, water bottle, travel mug, t-shirt, sweatshirt and then $50. Not as much participation as I would have liked to see but this is our first try at it.

Return to Top
#1362997 - 03/24/10 04:02 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness HR Banker
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
smoking cessation, weight loss, etc are all covered through our health plan. There is a rebate on a gym membership if you go x # of times through the year. Our building started a "walking club" to walk during lunch (no rewards - just whoever wants to do it).

Return to Top
#1363381 - 03/24/10 08:32 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness madukes
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
We offer flu shots. Nurse goes to each Branch and administers it to anyone who wants it, free of charge.

Past that there are too many variables.

Some Branches have participated in Community Health programs and we tried to allow necessary time off in order for them to participate.

Return to Top
#1363391 - 03/24/10 08:39 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness FloBear
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: FloBear
We offer flu shots. Nurse goes to each Branch and administers it to anyone who wants it, free of charge.

Past that there are too many variables.

Some Branches have participated in Community Health programs and we tried to allow necessary time off in order for them to participate.

We offer a limited number of flue shots. if you have the bank's health insurance it is at n/c. if not, i believe it was a $25 charge. You have to register in advance - first come first served.

Return to Top
#1363395 - 03/24/10 08:43 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness madukes
FloBear Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
We reply in advance so that the Nurse knows how many vaccines to bring but everyone who wants it, gets it.
(And if you don't take it, you better not come down with anything that remotely resembles the flu, haha)

Return to Top
#1363989 - 03/25/10 05:22 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness FloBear
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
We have had a wellness program for a few years, and no matter how we structure, what the rewards, etc., we have the same people participate - the people who would diet & exercise anyway. I have gone to seminars, read articles, bought books on how to have great wellness programs but we don't get increased participation. Very frustrating.

Our medical carrier has its own wellness program on its website, and participants can get gift cards for participating (and we promote this heavily). We also use America on the Move, which you log in the steps you take to finish a number of virtual trails. The main focus is to walk an extra 2,000 steps per day and eat 100 calories less per day.

Return to Top
#1376303 - 04/19/10 04:18 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness Neytiri
trout22 Offline
Gold Star
We contracted with an outside source (related to our insurance provider I believe) and have spent a LOT of money on this. Yes, we have some good participation in our 2nd year - but my 'concerns' are the same as Donna's = those who participate are those who will diet and exercise anyway. You can't FORCE those who need it to join in or make progress.

I don't feel like I have time at work to sit down and log all my activity (which would earn points which translate into dollars at EOY) nor do I want to spend my weekends joining a walking club, fitness group, etc. So instead I do what I've always done to stay healthy - and I get dirty looks from co-workers about not participating in the bank's program...

Return to Top
#1376474 - 04/19/10 06:05 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness trout22
VA-CSR Offline
100 Club
VA-CSR
Northern Neck of Virginia
I love WalkerTracker, and it's free for individuals to use to log steps. Ben (the developer) also offers customized walking programs for businesses -- seems like that might help get people moving. You can set up competitions and challenges, and the support from other users is fabulous. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and maintain an average of about 16,000 steps per day. I've lost close to 50 pounds with no significant changes to the way I eat.

Here's the info about the customized programs:
http://walkertracker.com/walking-program/

Maybe have the bank buy or split the cost of pedometers for everyone who signs up (GOOD pedometers, not those cheapy ones). I've got an Omron HJ-720ITC and never go anywhere without it -- the only day in the past two years that it was not with me was the day that I had surgery last November!

Return to Top
#1396706 - 05/26/10 08:32 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness VA-CSR
CarolinaComplian Offline
good ol south
Our work offers a free YMCA membership to all employees. I wixh we had some other program too, maybe have someone come in and teach how we should eat.

Physicals sound like a good idea too!

Return to Top
#1397482 - 05/27/10 09:16 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness CarolinaComplian
GoneToTexas Offline
100 Club
Texas
Our insurance plan provides excellent benefits for annual physicals. We don't do anything for those employees not on our insurance, though.

Return to Top
#1866823 - 10/30/13 09:04 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness TNBanker
mmumm Offline
100 Club
Santa Cruz, California
Would anyone be willing to share their statistics in terms of how their wellness program has helped improve their workplace? Our approval committee is looking for some hard numbers from other financial institutions before making a final decision on what to implement at our bank. Thanks!

Return to Top
#1866938 - 10/31/13 01:23 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness TNBanker
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I find this topic interesting and timely as we are planning to kick our Corporate Wellness Program on Jan 1.

So far our program contains the following:

Free membership at YMCA for the entire family
Free membership at a to be named gym for the entire family
If employee/family has a gym membership at another gym, they will receive a 'benefit allowance' not to exceed the value of the 'Y' membership.
Employees will have to validate 'x' number of visits to gym per quarter to retain the free membership or benefit allowance.

Monthly promotions on intranet and internal newsletter - such a blood drive, breast cancer awareness, healthy lifestyles, etc

Exploring other family events

Sponsor local 5k walks and promote bank teams, including family members, to participate

Promote smoking cessation

In location CPR and other related classes

Location challenges - activity related

Edit - Another item that just occurred to me - we did a pre-program planning survey and the one item that received unanimous response was stress management - so we are working on plans to include that - such as regular chair massages, a daily laugh, etc......

We will start here and add as we go - fearful of the danger of overextending at the beginning and then not being able to maintain. One thing we are extremely focused on is making this a family program - not just our employees. And we want ALL employees involved, even those that are using our benefit plans - so we are working outside of our benefit providers too - so that has been a little challenging.

Be fun to come back to this thread every month or so and see how folks' plans are working and share ideas.

Last edited by R Banker; 10/31/13 02:38 PM.

Return to Top
#1867165 - 10/31/13 05:29 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness TNBanker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
We just had 'Healthy Banker Week'. Each day was something different.

A dietician from a local grocery store came in one day to speak, provide healthy snacks and give her card to encourage people to contact her in private.

All the providers for health, eye, dental, etc., came in another with freebies and information on various programs they offer.

One day a yoga instructor came in to hold mini-classes on stretching at your desk, etc.

Throughout the week, there was a competition to see which team could log the most times climbing the stairs. Gift cards were the prize for that.

Bank doesn't provide memberships to the Y or anything tho.

Return to Top
#1867210 - 10/31/13 06:17 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness TNBanker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Some insurance companies will provide breaks for such programs. Wellness programs with the use of Fitbits or similar tracking devices are also becoming pretty popular.

Return to Top
#1867287 - 10/31/13 07:56 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness TNBanker
fun grandma Offline
fun grandma
midwest
Iowa is big into the Blue Zones.
Our bank was the first financial institution to qualify.
This last year the bank paid for any employee to have a wellness check through the local hospital, offered flu shots to all employees and their spouses, we held different competitions.
1-track all activity time, we had 3 teams(21 employees) during this competition each team picked a week and made a healthy lunch for the other 2 teams.
2- tracked blocks walked or rode bike to work. We kicked this off with grilling kabobs and served other healthy foods with it.
All employees that participated names were put in for a drawing for a fitbit. The employees that lived out of town parked at the grocery store and then walked to work.
3-had a 6 week step-walking contest. Had 3 teams, 30 employees participated. We are having a healthy lunch next week for participants.
We have tried to some healthier snack options in the breakroom.
The bank also got an ice machine, wish has increased the amount of water the employees are drinking.
The YMCA is coming in to promote excerises at your desk and the bank is going to offer a month free membership to all employees.
I feel most of the employees are trying to be healthier either by more activity and/or eathing healthier.

Return to Top
#1867533 - 11/01/13 03:17 PM Re: Promoting employee wellness TNBanker
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
As another Iowan, we've attempted to Blue Zone certify as well. We're getting closer, once we go smoke-free, that'll help with it.

We have a very involved Wellness program, I'm one of the founding committee members and actually did my senior thesis for my BA on the effectiveness of the program. I studied our insurance claims, absenteeism, the biometrics data as it has trended over the last five years, etc.

I can give some advice on how to do it, and how not to do it, if you're interested in a lengthy monologue smile

Biggest point I can make, like everything else, it has to be implemented from the top down. If management isn't pushing it, and supporting it, it won't go anywhere and will simply waste money.

If you can find a way to tie it to insurance premiums, that will be your best bet at getting people involved. If there aren't any "teeth" to the program, you'll end up with less than a third of the staff involved, and while it'll do some good things, it'll mostly result in you spending money on the low-risk people that are already living fairly healthy lifestyles. If you can't reach the higher-risk persons, your program isn't going to be effective, at least from the perspective of the bottom line. Another point to consider, if you have spousal insurance coverages, try to find a way to include them. You'll see a lot more impact to your claims if you're reaching the whole family, and it will drive more lasting changes to behavior.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry