Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1868231 - 11/04/13 11:34 PM Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List
Ninky Offline
Gold Star
Ninky
Has the CFPB provided any model notices or lists of counseling agencies? Have I missed something? We are running out of calendar!

Does anyone have a model they would like to share?

Return to Top
HOEPA and Homeowner Counseling Rule
#1868360 - 11/05/13 03:53 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
ComplianceNerd Offline
Gold Star
Texas ...
I just went to the HUD website, searched the State I'm in and found the cities close to us that provide counseling. I took that info, and just put it on a word document with a footer that has the Date I got the info and another footer with the spefic website address so I can remember for next time.

If they have any model forms, I wasn't aware.

Return to Top
#1868679 - 11/05/13 11:10 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
jlroberts Offline
Diamond Poster
jlroberts
Ohio
Are you listing all the agenicies in your area? There are about 35 in our area, do I have to list them all. We are also going to include MGIC on our list.

Return to Top
#1868685 - 11/05/13 11:26 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think I would stay turned as the portal is probably going to show up at the last moment. Hopefully it will work better than another recently publicized Federal portal smile

While the Bureau understands the concerns raised by commenters about the burden of generating zipcode based lists for potential borrowers, the Bureau notes that the statutory requirement indicates that the list should be comprised of counselors “located in the area of the lender.” The Bureau is interpreting this requirement to mean the location of the applicant who is being served by the lender. The Bureau continues to believe that a list of counseling resources available near the applicant’s location will be most useful to the applicant. The Bureau also believes that permitting lists to be generated based on larger geographic areas, such as an applicant’s state, would frequently result in an applicant receiving a list that is overwhelmingly lengthy.

The Bureau is finalizing § 1024.20(a)(1) to require that the list contain only counseling organizations, pursuant to the same exemption authority, and anticipates that the website portal it develops may generate lists that include counseling organizations that are either certified or otherwise approved by HUD. Because the website portal will automatically create lists that include the relevant homeownership counseling organizations, the Bureau is not finalizing proposed § 1024.20(a)(2).

Return to Top
#1868850 - 11/06/13 04:00 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
It is my understanding that no PMI companies are approved to do the counseling. I know they are trying to get approved, but so far HUD and CFPB have resisted those requests.

Return to Top
#1869947 - 11/08/13 08:46 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
ComplianceNerd Offline
Gold Star
Texas ...
Hey looky here. I just received this in my e-mail:

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/newsroom/...=regimp20131108

Return to Top
#1869949 - 11/08/13 08:48 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List jlroberts
ComplianceNerd Offline
Gold Star
Texas ...
Originally Posted By: jlroberts
Are you listing all the agenicies in your area? There are about 35 in our area, do I have to list them all. We are also going to include MGIC on our list.

Fortunately for us, there aren't a lot to post but the bulletin that just came out says you need at least 10. When I put our southernmost zipcode in the portal, it actually gave me a choice of Homeownership Counselors from up to 100 miles away. (I'm sure those borrowers are just going to LOVE that.)

Return to Top
#1869954 - 11/08/13 08:50 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Telephone counseling is allowed.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1869955 - 11/08/13 08:50 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Cool. The nearest one to my town is 40 miles away.

Return to Top
#1870065 - 11/08/13 11:58 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
mtngrrl Offline
Gold Star
mtngrrl
Northern California
Is it just me, or does this "tool" look like it's going to be really unweildy in practice?

Return to Top
#1870068 - 11/09/13 01:57 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What, you thought you would be able to plug in a zipcode and print off a one page document to hand to the customer???? smile

Return to Top
#1870190 - 11/12/13 03:31 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List rlcarey
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Closest to our location is 61 miles. eek

Return to Top
#1870262 - 11/12/13 05:00 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Plug in 96799, the ZIP Code for Pago Pago, American Samoa (where Regs X and Z apply). The tool will list ten organizations in southernmost Texas, which is over 5,000 air miles from American Samoa. In reality, the closest organizations to AS are in Honolulu, which is about 2,600 miles away. Apparently, the tool doesn't handle well distances more than 999 miles. The Texas locations show up as being about 600 miles from Pago Pago.

The distances used in the tool (other than those misrepresented because they are 1,000 or more miles away) appear to be air miles, which can be misleading, too, since road mileage is often considerably more.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1870282 - 11/12/13 05:27 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
It is totally just straight lines from zip centroid. I would be inclined to provide some national organizations that provide telephone and/or online counseling in these situations. The option is there for that purpose.

Return to Top
#1870392 - 11/12/13 08:00 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
When you print from the PDF there is no date? Is anyone else seeing that? How do we prove the most recent one was printed and given?

Return to Top
#1870394 - 11/12/13 08:04 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List rlcarey
mtngrrl Offline
Gold Star
mtngrrl
Northern California
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
What, you thought you would be able to plug in a zipcode and print off a one page document to hand to the customer???? smile

Yea, I can be kinda silly like that...sigh...

Return to Top
#1870397 - 11/12/13 08:10 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
What am i missing? Why can't you just print it off? I entered our zip and got the 10 closest ones to us...i was hoping it would be as simple as printing that off at time of application.
Last edited by raitchjay; 11/12/13 08:10 PM.

Return to Top
#1870419 - 11/12/13 08:37 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I can print, however there is no date in the footer, burden of proof!

Return to Top
#1870478 - 11/12/13 10:38 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Anybody else getting a "this file cannot be saved" warning if you try to save the tool to your desktop?

Return to Top
#1870482 - 11/12/13 10:44 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sorry, what do you mean save the tool to your desktop?

Return to Top
#1870484 - 11/12/13 10:45 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Soccer
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: Soccer
I can print, however there is no date in the footer, burden of proof!

Save the pdf file and the file will have the "created" date.

Return to Top
#1870485 - 11/12/13 10:47 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I'm trying to save that particular webpage (that has the tool on it) to my desktop (i guess it's really to a network drive....i'm not very computer savvy).

Return to Top
#1870487 - 11/12/13 10:48 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Just a shortcut to the page so you can can click the link and go to the website?

Return to Top
#1870492 - 11/12/13 10:55 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Yes, Kathleen....i'd rather be able to email that or something to my processors than put in "go to www.cfpb.gov (etc.etc.)".

Return to Top
#1870500 - 11/12/13 11:14 PM Re: Homeownership Counseling Organizations - List Ninky

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Not knowing what version of windows you have, I was able to bookmark and save to my Bookmark Toolbar. In earlier versions I could have created a shortcut to desktop.

I have windows 8 so what I do will be different than earlier versions. Using IE, I was able to add a shortcut to my start screen. You should be able to create a shortcut on your desktop for the bookmarked link.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3