Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thread Options
#1868873 - 11/06/13 04:17 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
He was a Pro Bowl player following the 2012 season, for what that is worth.

While I am not a fan of bullying or intimidation at the NFL level, why is there such outrage over this guys behavior and wanting him out of the league? There are litterally hundreds of players that have plead guilty to DUI, drug charges, steroid use, domestic battery, to name but few illegal acts, that are still in the league, and there is little to no demand for their instant dismissal from the NFL? But this guy "picks on" another grown man and we want him banned for life.

Is it simply because this is something that affects our children and people don't like to see weaker individuals preyed upon? To me, driving under the influence will cause more damage to more people, and beating a woman is just as repulsive to picking on a weaker person. Why the inconsistency in the media and from the general public?

Dont get me wrong, I think Incognito is a POS, but I am equally distgusted by Leonard Little for killing a lady while driving drunk, or Antonio Cromartie who has at least 12 kids by 8 different women and didn't pay child support forever and had to take out a $500,000 advance from the Jets to get caught up. Add in Chad Johnson for beating his wife/girlfriend or Dez Bryant for hitting his mom of all people. ALL of these players played again after these incidents.

Last edited by jAYs; 11/06/13 05:01 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1868887 - 11/06/13 04:37 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Jays - way to kill a good thread, buddy...bringing logic and sanity...

Return to Top
#1868897 - 11/06/13 04:42 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
^^^ditto

I can only hope that the judicial system had something to say about those you mentioned and any others like them no matter who their employer is.

Return to Top
#1868907 - 11/06/13 04:58 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... Katy Auditor
A_G Online
10K Club
Um, Michael Vick anyone!?

Return to Top
#1868912 - 11/06/13 05:02 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... A_G
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: A_G

out a month for a simple strained hamstring? Mary laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1868923 - 11/06/13 05:11 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... A_G
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State

Can't stand this guy!

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1868939 - 11/06/13 05:29 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... JWills, CRCM
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: JWills

Can't stand this guy!

50,000,000 dogs can't be wrong! wink

Return to Top
#1868948 - 11/06/13 05:35 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... JWills, CRCM
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I don't think the league should punish Incognito, but for a sad-sack franchise like the Dolphins, they can't justify keeping him. Now if he were the left tackle protecting Peyton Manning's backside, they would probably just enroll him in some bogus sensitivity training, and move on.

It's a big story because it's unique and bullying is the 'it-topic' in schools right now. Those other things Jays mentioned, DUI, drugs, domestic issues, you hear that stuff from the NFL every week. ESPN probably won't even report it unless the player is a big star, because people are numb to those types of things.

Return to Top
#1868951 - 11/06/13 05:41 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
jAYs, I agree with you on getting rid of all the trash. The problem is, most sports would have to merge teams to create whole ones. The whole thing with Cramartie drives me nuts, but Happy was talking about one specific idiot, not all idiots.

Michael Vick did time in jail. The law states that if they do their time, and do not break the law again, they are free. There are many trash-heads out there who have not. I am an animal lover. I was absolutely disgusted and outraged when I saw all of the videos and documentaries on Vick's dog fights. I also believe he paid his debt, whether anyone feels it wasn't long enough doesn't matter. It's the guys who don't that aggravate me.

Return to Top
#1868973 - 11/06/13 06:21 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
I am not talking about getting rid of all trash. That will never happen. I just wanted an answer to the lynch mob mentality that goes after the isolated incident with vigor (Vick, Incognito & NO Saints) while the rest of the sacks of excrement are ignored or swept under the rug.

GoBucs answered the question, in that people go after something that is the "it topic" or something that can create a "morale outrage" to advance an agenda or a new topic so their news programs don't turn into Maury Povich "who is the baby daddy" wih DNA tests every day. I get it. But to me that is low hanging fruit, fighting all of the drug abusers, DUIs and the trash that beat women is far too difficult.

Return to Top
#1868994 - 11/06/13 07:05 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
JMHO, the reason this is such a big deal is that Incognito did not commit a criminal act, therefore will not see jail time or fines. The other trash mentioned faced criminal charges,arrests, fines, etc. whether convicted or swept under the rug is not the issue. The victim here even though 6'5" and 315 lbs has been harassed and humiliated by a fellow employee and maybe the employer. Neither of those will face charges or go before a judge, except many years down the road in a civil suit if pursued.
That in my opinion is what all the uproar is about.
Last edited by hgliii; 11/06/13 07:06 PM. Reason: spe
Return to Top
#1869009 - 11/06/13 07:19 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
My son was bullied in middle school. If you can't take it - and apparently Martin can't - the bullying will not "toughen him up" or "make a man out of him". It just lessens your self esteem. Guess the coaching staff may know football but they don't know psychology. Martin removed himself and is getting counseling. Good for him. Better that than committing suicide.

These guys are supposed to be adults. Mature adults don't bully. I get the little hazing things and hitting of helmets when a good play is made. But bullying?? No. But again since my son was bullied, my perspective is different.

Martin played college football at Stanford and was apparently a good enough to play in the NFL and from all accounts a decent guy. Incognito apparenly is not a decent guy.

Return to Top
#1869013 - 11/06/13 07:23 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

HO, the reason this is such a big deal is that Incognito did not commit a criminal act, therefore will not see jail time or fines.

Harassment Through Assault and Aggravated Assault
Harassment through assault occurs when "an intentional threat by word, or act that seeks to physically harm another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent." This is made clear in Florida criminal statute 784.011. Assault is a second degree misdemeanor which carries a maximum penalty of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_12167017_floridas-aggravated-harassment-laws.html#ixzz2jtXiN1cc

CAMS

Return to Top
#1869028 - 11/06/13 07:47 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
So when are they going to take him in cuffs to the Miami jail?

Return to Top
#1869033 - 11/06/13 07:55 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
right after he gets back in his new Ferrari, hglii...geesh!

Return to Top
#1869034 - 11/06/13 07:55 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Seriously? Jail?

Return to Top
#1869037 - 11/06/13 08:00 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
ED said Incognito, in his post ^^^^, there is reason to believe he may have violated a FL law of Harassment. Why would they not arrest him? Other than Miami may need to re-instate him to play Sunday?

Return to Top
#1869039 - 11/06/13 08:05 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... hgliii
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: hgliii
So when are they going to take him in cuffs to the Miami jail?

There would need to be an arrest followed by arraignment followed by a bail hearing followed by a lengthy taxpayer funded trial.

so good chance never but that does not make what he is accused of legal.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1869042 - 11/06/13 08:06 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... edAudit
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

HO, the reason this is such a big deal is that Incognito did not commit a criminal act, therefore will not see jail time or fines.

Harassment through assault occurs when "an intentional threat by word, or act that seeks to physically harm another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent." This is made clear in Florida criminal statute 784.011. Assault is a second degree misdemeanor which carries a maximum penalty of 60 days in jail and a $500 fine.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_12167017_floridas-aggravated-harassment-laws.html#ixzz2jtXiN1cc

I will hold my breath while I await the Broward, Dade or whatever county prosecutors to file that charge.

Return to Top
#1869044 - 11/06/13 08:13 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... Katy Auditor
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: jAYs
Originally Posted By: EdAudit

I will hold my breath while I await the Broward, Dade or whatever county prosecutors to file that charge.

I would think that someone would need to file a complaint with them first.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1869047 - 11/06/13 08:15 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
if anything this would likely get no more than a summons to appear in court...basically a traffic ticket for his mouth...

Return to Top
#1869060 - 11/06/13 08:28 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
Mr. E. Offline
100 Club
Mr. E.
New England
I'm no pollyanna. I've been through in the Sports environment. But I'm still shocked by the vileness of what a grown professional did and said to a teammate. I think that this is what has got the public's attention.

Return to Top
#1869186 - 11/07/13 01:55 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
Katy Auditor Offline
New Poster
Bikini Bottom
Wow! Some interesting new information out there this morning with regards to the $15,000 Vegas trip, the lunchroom incident and how Martin interacted with his fellow offensive lineman.

I can't get the link but Monday Morning QB on NFL.com read the piece written by former Dolphin player Lydon Murtha.

Return to Top
#1869200 - 11/07/13 02:14 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Jays, can you summarize?

Return to Top
#1869208 - 11/07/13 02:19 PM Re: Bullying in the NFL? Suck it up, buttercup... HappyGilmore
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, I'll give you that those areas, the Vegas trip and the lunchroom thing, are not that big a deal.

BUT, the racism, the phone call, and not accepting when a guy says hey, I'm not going to take you all out to eat, let it go, are another thing.

Return to Top
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8