Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1871771 - 11/15/13 07:39 PM Compliance Testing vs. Auditing
C-Lo Offline
Ohio
I was formerly employed by a large bank (6.5 years) and I recently joined a mid-sized bank as a Senior Compliance Analyst on a compliance testing team. My experience has been to test controls (designed to mitigate risk). Testing schedules were granular, quarterly and rarely changed (even though the content tested did). In my new role, the testing is done (IMO) more like an audit. The test schedule will list an item like "Consumer loans - HMDA" but there are various consumer loan products and various LOBs within the bank that have those products. I think they are doing audit work, not so much compliance monitoring/testing. Any opinions? Does anyone have solid definitions of the two functions that might help differentiate who shoudl be doing what?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1871780 - 11/15/13 07:46 PM Re: Compliance Testing vs. Auditing C-Lo
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It's a hard question to answer without understanding the actual charter of the compliance department in your institution and how it relates to the charter of the audit department.

Return to Top
#1871786 - 11/15/13 07:58 PM Re: Compliance Testing vs. Auditing C-Lo
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Agreed. You cannot simply compare tasks. This may be the only auditing done on regs.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1871792 - 11/15/13 08:09 PM Re: Compliance Testing vs. Auditing C-Lo
C-Lo Offline
Ohio
Sadly, I don't know that they have charters.
Last edited by C-Lo; 11/15/13 08:25 PM.
Return to Top
#1871795 - 11/15/13 08:10 PM Re: Compliance Testing vs. Auditing C-Lo
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Well, without knowledge of all audit and testing schedules it is hard to comment. There are many variations of this theme.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1871797 - 11/15/13 08:13 PM Re: Compliance Testing vs. Auditing C-Lo
C-Lo Offline
Ohio
I can tell you what I do know... Audit is doing the same exact reviews that Compliance is doing. Audit first, then Compliance. It doesn't seem useful. We're moving toward a GRC system and I think that will definitely help foster change.

Thanks for your help and Happy Friday smile

Return to Top
#1871798 - 11/15/13 08:12 PM Re: Compliance Testing vs. Auditing C-Lo
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
This is IMO a very good question and one that many of us struggle with. I am currently developing a revised monitoring program at a new bank - but I come from a testing background that is more like an audit function. There is not much guidance on what is right or wrong, enough or not enough etc...

Return to Top
#1871809 - 11/15/13 08:37 PM Re: Compliance Testing vs. Auditing basilring
C-Lo Offline
Ohio
No, I turned here because I couldn't find a solid answer, but maybe the answer is that there isn't one answer. I'd love it other's chimmed in on what their experience has been, what worked and what didn't.

Return to Top
#1871810 - 11/15/13 08:38 PM Re: Compliance Testing vs. Auditing Kathleen O. Blanchard
C-Lo Offline
Ohio
Thanks! Do you know of any resources for exploring the different variations?

Return to Top
#1871834 - 11/15/13 09:15 PM Re: Compliance Testing vs. Auditing C-Lo
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
I was frustrated by what little I could find.

-There is a topic under General Discussion from July of 2013 called Compliance Testing vs. Audit vs. QC, what's the difference?

-The FDIC Compliance Manual from June 2009 has a blurb about monitoring on page II-2.3 (We are an FRB regulated bank, but I figured anything helps)

Plus, I had some information of my own from monitoring at my other bank. Not much out there. I would appreciate anything else someone is willing to share!

Return to Top
#1872236 - 11/18/13 08:45 PM Re: Compliance Testing vs. Auditing C-Lo
GoGreen Offline
Gold Star
PA
Compliance can do follow-up testing to audits. If an audit issue comes into play then compliance may want to follow-up to be certain regulatory issue is satified by doing compliance testing. You will have certain areas where compliance monitoring is required. In audit there is requirement for audit to do ACH annual audit where compliance would not do that testing. It is how your bank addresses audit and compliance processes.

Return to Top