Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1871955 - 11/17/13 10:49 PM HELOC rate cap
ibcbanker Offline
New Poster
Does the Reg Z-required "rate cap" on HELOC's end up being the "fully indexed rate" that is required for the HOEPA-coverage calculation for APR? In other words, ours is currently disclosed as 18% (a common rate cap). If we have to use this rate, every HELOC will be subject to HOEPA.

Return to Top
HOEPA and Homeowner Counseling Rule
#1872019 - 11/18/13 03:03 PM Re: HELOC rate cap ibcbanker
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If the rate on your HELOC is tied to an index, you use the fully-indexed rate (index plus margin) or the promotional-period rate, whichever is greater. If the margin can vary during the life of the extension of credit, use the largest value of the margin that can apply.

If there no index used (the rate can vary at the lender's sole discretion), use the 18% maximum rate.

In my experience, most variable-rate HELOCs are tied to an index.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1872095 - 11/18/13 04:39 PM Re: HELOC rate cap ibcbanker
ibcbanker Offline
New Poster
Yes, it is tied to an index - prime rate plus a margin. The index is fully floating and can change daily, however the margin does not change. We have no promo/intro rates.
So in our case, we would use the prime rate in effect on the date the rate was set plus the appropriate margin for our APR testing. Am I understanding this correctly? Thanks.

Return to Top
#1872200 - 11/18/13 07:41 PM Re: HELOC rate cap ibcbanker
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Yes, that's correct.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1872768 - 11/20/13 03:19 PM Re: HELOC rate cap John Burnett
gadawg1 Offline
Gold Star
Georgia
I would like to follow-up on this. The interest rate in our equity lines is based on the Index plus the margin. We also charge a $250 loan fee. To calculate our APR for HOEPA, would we have to calculate based on a similar closed loan i.e. using the Index plus margin as the interest rate and the $250 loan fee and a similar loan amount to get the corresponding APR for HOEPA? Or do we consider the APR as the Index plus the margin?

Return to Top
#1876568 - 12/05/13 11:05 PM Re: HELOC rate cap ibcbanker
Still Smiling Offline
Platinum Poster
Very confused here...we too have a variable rate Heloc tied to WSJ that can change daily and our term is 60 months.

The Small entity guide states; For a variable-rate HELOC, the most closely-comparable closed-end transaction will be a variable-rate transaction with an initial, fixed-rate period that lasts approximately as long the introductory period, if any, on the HELOC. (If the HELOC has no initial, fixed-rate period, assume an initial, fixed-rate period of one year.)

What term will I use 60 month or 1 year?

Return to Top
#1876573 - 12/05/13 11:23 PM Re: HELOC rate cap ibcbanker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
whataday - it is the latter. There is a separate points and fees test.

SS - one year.

Return to Top
#1876612 - 12/06/13 01:32 PM Re: HELOC rate cap ibcbanker
Still Smiling Offline
Platinum Poster
Randy...thanks for your help.

Return to Top
#1878538 - 12/13/13 05:38 PM Re: HELOC rate cap ibcbanker
pacar Offline
Gold Star
Our HELOC's have a draw period of 3 years and a repayment period of 5 years after that. We have both fixed and variable rate programs. The variable rate is tied to an index with a cap, and has no introductory period.

For the variable rate product, I beleive I need to take the current index value plus the cap, and then compare that to a 1-year transaction for the APOR.

For the fixed rate product, I'm confused regarding the term to use. The Compliance guide states to use a product that matches the HELOC maturity. So am I looking at 8 years? I think so, but just need a nudge if I'm going in the wrong direction.

Return to Top