Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1872888 - 11/20/13 07:10 PM Electronic recordings of documents in WI
Margarita Offline
Wisconsin
Has anyone started e-filing your mortgages or other documents with any WI counties? I am being asked to research on how we increase our recording fees, what type of disclosure if any, and if we make a profit on the increase of the fee, is that allowable? For example, the fees charged over one year cover our $5 per recording charge and also the annual fee, but we collected more than that at the end of the year.

Any insight to this would be appreciated.

Return to Top
#1874177 - 11/25/13 07:48 PM Re: Electronic recordings of documents in WI Margarita
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
While you might be able to increase the Recorder's fee to cover the e-filing service fee, I don't see how you could justify making a profit on recording fees. If you weren't using the service, you'd only be able to charge the regular county recording fee much like you cannot make a profit off of getting a credit report or ordering an appraisal.

Return to Top
#1874179 - 11/25/13 07:53 PM Re: Electronic recordings of documents in WI Margarita
Margarita Offline
Wisconsin
Thank you for your response. I am unsure on how this program works so I appreciate the guidence. You are correct, if it costs $30 for recording, then that is what you charge. If it is $35, then that is what you charge.

Boy, I really must have had brain freeze the day I posted the question....duh!

Thank you again for answering the obvious!

Return to Top
#1874263 - 11/26/13 01:11 AM Re: Electronic recordings of documents in WI Margarita
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
BOL is all about paying it forward. Believe me, I've had some doozies of brain freeze days and been saved by a fellow BOLer.

Return to Top