Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1873619 - 11/22/13 04:34 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
I was in kindergarden, and I can remember hearing about it. Can't remember too many details (I am one of the 'old' people you know).

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1873634 - 11/22/13 04:51 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I was in school at lunch when Father Wilbur came into the cafeteria to make the announcement. What I remember especially, which would never happen now, was that for that weekend there were no movie theaters, no stores other than grocery stores or pharmacies open in the town where I lived. Everything shut down.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1873663 - 11/22/13 05:10 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
I was in college. Our football team had finished season undefeated the Saturday before and were given Thanksgiving week(Monday-Wednesday) off. I had gone at noon to pick up my laundry,with car packed, and head home. When I came out the buddy who was driving, told us the President had just been shot and they did not know how bad it was. We headed to Frat house to watch the news. Spent rest of day watching Walter Cronkite. Was up watching when Oswald was shot in Dallas Police basement. Spend all T-giving watching the news of the Assassination.
Last edited by hgliii; 11/22/13 05:11 PM.
Return to Top
#1873672 - 11/22/13 05:19 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Ted Kennedy was shot? shocked

Return to Top
#1873680 - 11/22/13 05:34 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
ItNeverEnds CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Looking for my sanity
Not born. But I remember when Reagan got shot shocked does that count? I was 9 smile

Return to Top
#1873683 - 11/22/13 05:42 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
I was in 6th grade. I remember my teacher crying, and we were sent home early. I think we watched TV news all weekend.

When we went back to school, I remember Gail Detwiler asking kids if they were prejudiced. She had obviously learned a new word. I certainly didn't want her to know that I didn't know what the word meant, so I faked it when she asked me, and I said 'In what way?'.

Isn't it weird what things we remember?

Return to Top
#1873688 - 11/22/13 05:45 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? califgirl
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
6 days old...I was probably in a diaper pooping myself. Not much has changed.....

Return to Top
#1873708 - 11/22/13 05:59 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I was in the fifth grade but my mom had a migrane that day and I, being the oldest, had to stay home to take care of her and my two year old sister. I was watching, of all things, a ballet on the public television channel when the news bulletin came in. I ran into her bedroom and told her the president was shot, and she said "Oh my God, he's dead" and then I switched channels to a network one and less than an hour later, my mother turned out to be right. I felt really sad because Caroline was about the same age as one of my sisters and John-John was the same age as my other sister. So I kept thinking about how I would feel if it where my dad.

Return to Top
#1873730 - 11/22/13 06:24 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Was in the second grade, standing in the drinking fountain line following afternoon recess and overheard a couple of teachers discussing the event. Wasn't meant for me to hear. No general announcement was made and the elementary school where I attended wasn't dismissed early. Grades 1-3 got out at 2:30 anyway.

Got home and the Philco black & white television was on and my mother was watching.

I too remember that cartoons were preempted by the news that weekend and that I was annoyed that I didn't get to watch Mighty Mouse and Captain Kangaroo.

We'd been to Washington D.C. the summer before to visit an uncle, aunt, and cousins who lived there at the time. I remember being familiar with the scenes of the funeral procession/Arlington cemetery as being a place we'd recently visited.

We lived in Fort Worth, Texas then and I recall the afternoon walking home from school as being sunny and nice, warm enough that the windows were open in the house when I got home. Don't know how accurate that weather report from 30 miles away from the event on November 22, 1963 is now.

Return to Top
#1873773 - 11/22/13 07:29 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
We lived just outside of Boston so Kennedy was a huge deal to my family. I was in the 6th grade, but home sick from school. I was the one who told my parents that the President had been shot. They both cried.

Return to Top
#1873778 - 11/22/13 07:44 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Not even a twinkle in my parent's eyes. They were both only about 10 years old when it happened.

Return to Top
#1873799 - 11/22/13 08:20 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? RockChucker, CAMS
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
not born yet...but my mother still talks about it as if it were yesterday

Return to Top
#1873800 - 11/22/13 08:20 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
ZmbRzr Offline
100 Club
ZmbRzr
Arkansas
My parents were 5 and 7.

Return to Top
#1873806 - 11/22/13 08:27 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I was not yet born, but my mom and dad talk about it like it is vividly etched in their brains. My father was a Navy sailor on a destroyer out in the ocean when it happened. My mom was in surgery when it happened. When she woke up, everyone was crying - doctors, nurses - so she concluded she was dying. The doctors told the nurses and my grandparents not to tell her what had happened for fear of upsetting her in her delicate health. Some intelligent nurse finally took pity on her and broke the doctor's orders and told mom everyone was crying about Pres. Kennedy being shot, not about her health - she was fine!

Return to Top
#1873814 - 11/22/13 08:48 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? BurntSienna
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
crazy

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1873822 - 11/22/13 08:57 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? RR Joker
A_G Offline
10K Club
They thought it would upset her more to know that JFK had died than that she was the one dying!? crazy

Return to Top
#1873824 - 11/22/13 08:57 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Miscuit
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Miscuit
not born yet...

no comment.

Return to Top
#1873921 - 11/23/13 12:08 AM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? A_G
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Was a high school senior in bookkeeping class. Intercom announcement by the principal. School did not release us early. Went on to play a scheduled out of town basketball game where a player on my team got hurt and taken to the hospital. Quiet bus load of students going and coming home.

Return to Top
#1873935 - 11/23/13 02:00 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I was 5 yrs old and living in England where my dad was stationed in the Air Force. I don't remember hearing anything about it at the time.

Return to Top
#1873940 - 11/23/13 11:50 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Elwood P. Dowd
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I was in kindergarten and did not understand who it was that got shot. We were released from school early and I remember looking for guns in all of the second floor windows on the way home so I wouldn't get shot. My brothers and I lived with our grandmother at the time. When I got home she had all of the curtains closed and was crying while watching the tv.

It's one of first memories.

Return to Top
#1873955 - 11/25/13 01:19 PM Re: Where were you when JFK was assassinated? Miscuit
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Originally Posted By: Miscuit
not born yet...but my mother still talks about it as if it were yesterday

Next thing you will be telling us is that you have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn. laugh

::Ducks and runs::

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2