BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1867110 - 10/31/13 04:33 PM ATR and employment status verification
Beth175 Offline
100 Club
Beth175
Wisconsin
Is the only way for us to verify employment status for ATR to do either a written or verbal VOE? We are trying to come up with another option but I have not found one yet. Thanks!!

Return to Top
Ability to Repay/Qualified Mortgage Rule
#1867113 - 10/31/13 04:35 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
ii. The employer's confirmation of current, ongoing employment status.

Note: Creditors may assume that employment is ongoing if a consumer's employer verifies current employment and does not indicate that employment has been, or is set to be terminated. Creditors should not rely upon a verification of current employment that includes an affirmative statement that the employment is likely to cease, such as a statement that indicates the employee has given (or been given) notice of employment suspension or termination.

Return to Top
#1867136 - 10/31/13 05:06 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification rlcarey
Beth175 Offline
100 Club
Beth175
Wisconsin
Randy - are those requirements from appendix Q for qualified mortgages? We are looking at the general ATR requirements that don't give much guidance on how to verify employment status with 3rd party documents. I don't have a problem requiring a VOE be done on a first lien but was looking for a second option for our junior liens.

Return to Top
#1867144 - 10/31/13 05:11 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Regardless, I guess I would have to ask how else could you possibly "verify" employment without asking the employer??? I can be done orally, if the employer will do it that way.

Return to Top
#1867229 - 10/31/13 06:38 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification rlcarey
Beth175 Offline
100 Club
Beth175
Wisconsin
FWIW I agree with you but needed information from several sources to show that using paystubs to verify employment status wasn't going to be sufficient.

Thanks again.

Return to Top
#1867234 - 10/31/13 06:41 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
All paystubs do is to verify past employment thru the end date on the paystub. It cannot and does not indicate current employment.

Return to Top
#1871625 - 11/15/13 04:56 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
We have employers in our area that will not fill out a VOE form and will not verify employment verbally. Checking this is not a new practice for us, but now because it is required we can no longer accept a non-response. In this case, how can we document the file that we complied.

Return to Top
#1871629 - 11/15/13 04:57 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You tell the applicant that you cannot proceed because their employer will not cooperate and get them to tell their employer that the employer is preventing them from buying a house because of their asinine policy. I can't imagine this will last for long.

Return to Top
#1871640 - 11/15/13 05:11 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
laugh

Return to Top
#1871653 - 11/15/13 05:24 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
Jade'sFire Offline
Gold Star
Jade'sFire
Yaven IV
I think I will put your exact words in our procedures!!! Ha!

Return to Top
#1871702 - 11/15/13 06:20 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
There are 3rd Party Vendors that may be able to help, but they will cost the employee, i.e. The Work Number is one such.

Return to Top
#1871730 - 11/15/13 07:04 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
So, what makes you think the employer is going to respond to a third party over responding directly to the bank?

Return to Top
#1871732 - 11/15/13 07:09 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
Not sure they will but we have encountered some employer that will only verify through a third party. Usually, the third party will tell you if they can verify the information from certain employer.

Return to Top
#1871888 - 11/15/13 10:16 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Patently ridiculous, but ...
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1872031 - 11/18/13 03:18 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
It happens.

Return to Top
#1874814 - 11/27/13 07:11 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
ProfitDefender Offline
100 Club
ProfitDefender
Midwest
Sorry to hijack but I have a few follow up questions along this topic:

What are you all doing for verifications of employment for self-employed applicants? Often we have a small business owner and the business phone number is the applicant's home or cell phone; or there is nobody to verify that the applicant is still "employed" by his/her business other than themself/spouse.

In my past life as a secondary market lender, we would try to get verifications of the phone # used online (google, website - etc) and call that # to verify - if the applicant answered and all the other pieces lined up we called it good. As a resource, I looked at the FNMA selling guides and found nothing specific on this. I suppose we could get a letter from their accountant; but what if the business owner self-prepares? For income on self-prepared taxes we're requiring tax transcripts again that will verify income; not necessarily employment.

Lastly, Appendix Q says we need P&Ls for S/E borrowers, but in the Small Entity Compliance Guide pg. 20 where it uses the cattle rancher example and says that the P&L is reliable if a 3rd party prepared them. What if the applicant uses QuickBooks and prepares their own financials? Is the guide combined w/Q suggesting that we require a P&L; but can only rely on it if it's verified w/a 3rd party?

(Please note I'm asking specifically about employment verification not income verification.)

TIA!

Return to Top
#1876364 - 12/05/13 05:50 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification ProfitDefender
Always questions Offline
Originally Posted By: Profit Defender

What are you all doing for verifications of employment for self-employed applicants? Often we have a small business owner and the business phone number is the applicant's home or cell phone; or there is nobody to verify that the applicant is still "employed" by his/her business other than themself/spouse.

In my past life as a secondary market lender, we would try to get verifications of the phone # used online (google, website - etc) and call that # to verify - if the applicant answered and all the other pieces lined up we called it good. As a resource, I looked at the FNMA selling guides and found nothing specific on this. I suppose we could get a letter from their accountant; but what if the business owner self-prepares? For income on self-prepared taxes we're requiring tax transcripts again that will verify income; not necessarily employment.

Lastly, Appendix Q says we need P&Ls for S/E borrowers, but in the Small Entity Compliance Guide pg. 20 where it uses the cattle rancher example and says that the P&L is reliable if a 3rd party prepared them. What if the applicant uses QuickBooks and prepares their own financials? Is the guide combined w/Q suggesting that we require a P&L; but can only rely on it if it's verified w/a 3rd party?

(Please note I'm asking specifically about employment verification not income verification.)

TIA!
I would like to hear a response on this as well. Good question

Return to Top
#1876368 - 12/05/13 05:58 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Are you talking continued employment status verification or income verification. They are talking income verification in that section.

Return to Top
#1876394 - 12/05/13 06:33 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
Always questions Offline
employment status verification for self employed

Return to Top
#1878670 - 12/13/13 09:38 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Don't expect to receive it in writing but if you put in a request to the CFPB, they will call you back and answer this question.

If you believe that the paystub(statement) is reasonably reliable, you may use that for your verification. You need not obtain a verbal or written VOE if you don't want to. But you may (be sure to document it).

Source: An un-named CFPB staff attorney.

FYI, for what it is worth. Don't rely on me. Make the phone call yourself and get a name to write down.

**** This is in reply to the OP; not the issue of self employed verifications****
Last edited by Norman Paperman; 12/13/13 09:40 PM. Reason: clarification as to application

CRCM

Return to Top
#1878983 - 12/16/13 07:26 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification ProfitDefender
MonicaMc Offline
100 Club
MonicaMc
Land of Oz

TIA!

We always do SE verifications by a 3rd party source. Usually it can be done via the state business websites (saying the business is active) but if we can't find it there, we will ask the borrower for a 3rd party receipt/invoice for sale of services by the business (Ex: sale of grain receipt from buisness to Co-op). We have also called and spoke with the Co-Op to confirm existence of the business.

Return to Top
#1879041 - 12/16/13 08:45 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
Always questions Offline
Thanks MonicaMc, I wondered about doing just that. It seems logical.

Return to Top
#1879114 - 12/16/13 10:09 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
smartinek Offline
New Poster
We've had to request a recent bid or invoice from a self-employed applicant because there was nothing else available for verification of the business.

Return to Top
#1881538 - 12/26/13 09:45 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification ProfitDefender
LeslieI Offline
New Poster

I'm curious what everyone thinks of this from an income verification perspective. For our self-employed borrowers, will we have to get P&L and balance sheet statements from a third-party?

Return to Top
#1881571 - 12/27/13 01:30 PM Re: ATR and employment status verification Beth175
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My understanding is that for it to be considered 'verified' income, it must be verified by a 3rd party in order to rely on a particular document.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2