Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1875764 - 12/03/13 10:51 PM Reg E - what is our responsibility
Baker Offline
Platinum Poster
Washington State
If we have a customer that comes to the bank and states that anything from XYZ vendor is not authorized what is required of the bank? Can you ask them to provide a date range? Otherwise, how far back would you go?

Additionally, if a customer comes in and states that XYZ has charged unauthorized transactions as well as authorized transactions but doesn't know which are which what is our responsibility? Can we say please review your statements and let us know?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1875767 - 12/03/13 10:56 PM Re: Reg E - what is our responsibility Baker
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
1005(b)(1)(iii) Indicates why the consumer believes an error exists and includes to the extent possible the type, date, and amount of the error

Without those factors, it is not a claim of error.

Return to Top
#1875772 - 12/03/13 11:08 PM Re: Reg E - what is our responsibility Baker
Baker Offline
Platinum Poster
Washington State
To the "extent" possible seems to me that there is wiggle room for them not provide all three and still have a claim.

Return to Top
#1875774 - 12/03/13 11:17 PM Re: Reg E - what is our responsibility Baker
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If they can't at least identify the individual transactions, I would argue differently. How can someone have a claim if they don't know what was or what was not supposedly unauthorized. Where would you start your investigation? Give them a copy of their statements and have them circle the ones they claim are unauthorized - that would meet the "extent possible" in my book.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett