Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1876289 - 12/05/13 03:58 PM Letters of Credit - Nigerian
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
I have a large industrial customer who desires a letter of credit in relation to a company in Nigeria who distributes their product(s). What concerns do I need to have? and What information do I need on the Nigerian entity?

Thanks.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1876404 - 12/05/13 06:45 PM Re: Letters of Credit - Nigerian CantBeShocked
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Do you have a 3rd party relationship that issues your foreign letters of credit? Do you routinely issue foreign letters of credit? If so, what information do you require for those and why do you feel you would need addditional for one out of Nigeria? Concern about validity of the business and/or business relationship?

Return to Top
#1876418 - 12/05/13 06:57 PM Re: Letters of Credit - Nigerian CantBeShocked
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
This is what your internal procedures should detail. I would be asking for very detailed documentation which details who the Nigerian company (including their BofD and Executive Management) is, what products they distribute, a list of their customers, a selection of invoices to review and how long has your customer been doing business with this entity.

Return to Top
#1876455 - 12/05/13 08:07 PM Re: Letters of Credit - Nigerian CantBeShocked
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
If your bank does not regularly do international trade letters of credit, it should not do this without a documented process with policies and procedures. You need due diligence to ensure that the transaction is legitimate, credit worthiness of customer, etc.

Much also depends upon which entity will be your customer in the LC, whose credit you are backing.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1876463 - 12/05/13 08:17 PM Re: Letters of Credit - Nigerian CantBeShocked
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You also need to be familiar with the import and export rules (depending on which way the subject goods are traveling) of the country they are dealing with.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z