Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1877191 - 12/09/13 08:42 PM would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
So, i saw teh Philly/Detroit game and the stands in Philly looked packed, even with close to a foot of snow falling during the game...

head west a few hours and Pittsburgh/Miami had muich lighter snow, but the stands looked about half empty (or half full if you prefer).

Baltimore/Minn seemed to have a light dusting of snow as well, but also seemed to be full...

Are Steelers fans wimpier? Would you sit through an NFL game in a blizzard-like snow as shown in Philly? Or would you watch in the comfort of your home?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1877200 - 12/09/13 09:09 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I had a chance to go to the Bears/Cowboys game tonight. Snow wasn't even thought about, it's significantly cold enough that I had no desire to tail-gate or go to that game for what it was going to cost.

Then again, I care about the NFL about as much as I care about the NHL, or the...whatever soccer has. USSF?

Return to Top
#1877205 - 12/09/13 09:22 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I loved seeing all the snow, to me that is how football should be played, not in some dome on carpet.

I am hoping the superbowl game in NY has a driving blizzard.

Personally, I would.

Return to Top
#1877208 - 12/09/13 09:27 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? Matt_B
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Matt_B
whatever soccer has. USSF?

Places Matt on the naughty list...Santa is watching

Return to Top
#1877212 - 12/09/13 09:32 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? Matt_B
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I had a chance to go to the Bears/Cowboys game tonight. Snow wasn't even thought about, it's significantly cold enough that I had no desire to tail-gate or go to that game for what it was going to cost.

Then again, I care about the NFL about as much as I care about the NHL, or the...whatever soccer has. USSF?

WHAT?!?! You aren't going?

Coldest game that I ever went to was the Bears - December 2005 = temperature of 12 and a -18 wind chill.
The Beer was freezing and exploding while we tailgated.
And according to Wiki attendance was 62,170 smile

Return to Top
#1877214 - 12/09/13 09:36 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
whatever soccer has. USSF?

Places Matt on the naughty list...Santa is watching

Matt is is the "NASL" North American Soccer League laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1877216 - 12/09/13 09:37 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I'm pretty sure the Eagles fill the empty seats in the stadium with homeless people and people from local half-way houses shocked

I didn't notice the empty seats during the Steeler game. It could be because it costs an arm and a leg to get tickets, park, and eat there. Combined with the horrible season they have had, I could see that.

I love seeing games played in the snow like that - that's football.

Return to Top
#1877217 - 12/09/13 09:39 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
We're just happy if its cold out for the football games.......

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1877218 - 12/09/13 09:40 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I love football in the snow! I've attended my fair share of Illini, Northwestern, Purdue, and Bears games in the snow. Fun! A little peppermint-schnapps-laced hot cocoa and a lot of beer and you barely even notice the cold!

Return to Top
#1877221 - 12/09/13 09:47 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
I have been to a lot of games in the cold and snow - Old municipal stadium to see the Browns, Ohio State, and the stadium at the Pro football hall of fame (I think its Fawcett Stadium) for the Ohio HS state championship. We had snow fairly oftern at our high school games growing up. To me, that's just good football weather. If you dress in enough layers, it's really not that bad.

I was surprised at how many empty seats there were at the Steelers game - usually those are some pretty die hard fans who turn out no matter what the weather is.

Return to Top
#1877222 - 12/09/13 09:49 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? BurntSienna
Hobbes Offline
100 Club
Hobbes
On a sled
Originally Posted By: BurntSienna
I love football in the snow! I've attended my fair share of Illini, Northwestern, Purdue, and Bears games in the snow. Fun! A little peppermint-schnapps-laced hot cocoa and a lot of beer and you barely even notice the cold!

Yes, Rumple Minze is a great peppermint anti-freeze!

Return to Top
#1877225 - 12/09/13 09:58 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
I would definitely sit through a game like that! My hubby and I were discussing what to wear and bring to stay warm if we ever got to go to one in those conditions. It would definitely be a story to tell when you get old(er)!

(All I would need is a margarita and I'd be set....those make me sweaty! :D)

Return to Top
#1877228 - 12/09/13 10:04 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
Matt is is the "NASL" North American Soccer League laugh

Ed - strangely enough, the NASL made a come back last year and is the first division professional soccer under MLS...and where the MLS expansion teams are now coming from

Matt - FIFA is the governing body for soccer worldwide, but the highest professional level in the US is MLS...USSF is the governing body for all soccer in the US...

Return to Top
#1877232 - 12/09/13 10:09 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
U nited
S tates
S issy
F ootball

?

laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1877233 - 12/09/13 10:13 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I've never been to a pro game, but we are getting ready to find out. I've got tickets to the Chief's game 12/22. I'm going to be a popsicle!

Return to Top
#1877241 - 12/09/13 10:29 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? QCL
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Originally Posted By: QCL-MamaBear

WHAT?!?! You aren't going?

Nope. They bought the tickets too long ago and paid way too much for them vs what they'd cost today. Five hours of driving each way, two days off work, cost of tickets, food, drinks, etc. No thanks, I don't splurge like that, especially on something I don't care about.

Make it a BOL gathering of cool people getting drunk and trying on goofy boots...yeah, then I'm in with no qualms.

Return to Top
#1877253 - 12/09/13 11:05 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? Matt_B
GuitarDude Online
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Make it a BOL gathering of cool people getting drunk ...

The ticket price for this would be much cheaper than NFL games because NFL teams only play 16 weeks per year (not counting post-season and bye weeks) and certain BOLers get drunk 52 weeks per year with no bye weeks. laugh

Return to Top
#1877256 - 12/09/13 11:10 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Are Steelers fans wimpier?

yes

Return to Top
#1877257 - 12/09/13 11:24 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
:walks in, notices there is no poll, walks out:
Last edited by DeeQ; 12/09/13 11:25 PM.

Return to Top
#1877275 - 12/10/13 12:11 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? Retired DQ
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
For Deeq; Just trying to be helpful laugh

certain BOLers get drunk 52 weeks per year with no bye weeks refers to
multiple choice

Votes accepted starting: 12/10/13 12:11 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1877277 - 12/10/13 12:48 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? edAudit
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
U nited
S tates
S issynooze
F ootballest
?

laugh

Fixed laugh
(although technically Ed's definition was correct as well)

Return to Top
#1877280 - 12/10/13 01:46 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? Sci_Comply
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Sci_Comply
I would definitely sit through a game like that! My hubby and I were discussing what to wear and bring to stay warm if we ever got to go to one in those conditions.

We've done subzero Bears games a couple of times. Best advice I ever got - buy a Chicago Tribune (or other thick newspaper) and put it between the concrete floor and your feet as you sit and watch the game. It insulates your feet from the cold concrete. My feet were warmer than my sister's in her stupid Ugg boots. laugh

Return to Top
#1877282 - 12/10/13 01:47 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
so it was -9 at the game last night? brrrrr.....

Return to Top
#1877291 - 12/10/13 02:16 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? QCL
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: QCL-MamaBear
Originally Posted By: Sci_Comply
I would definitely sit through a game like that! My hubby and I were discussing what to wear and bring to stay warm if we ever got to go to one in those conditions.

We've done subzero Bears games a couple of times. Best advice I ever got - buy a Chicago Tribune (or other thick newspaper) and put it between the concrete floor and your feet as you sit and watch the game. It insulates your feet from the cold concrete. My feet were warmer than my sister's in her stupid Ugg boots. laugh

HAH! My dad taught me that trick when I used to watch Sweetness in the snow!

Return to Top
#1877366 - 12/10/13 04:57 PM Re: would you sit through a NFL game in driving snow? B_F
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
I had a chance to go to the Steeler-Dolphin game and said no thank you. They stink this year, and proved it again by giving-up more than 30 points to the Dolphins. No way I'm sitting in the cold for this team. I also don't like fighting traffic, paying $30 bucks for parking, or sitting amongst a bunch of drunks, but I would have gone if it were 50 or 60 degrees.

As far as the die-hards they are getting priced-out of going to games. It will be interesting to see who shows-up for the Super Bowl in New York. No way the celebrities and corporate suits are going to sit in the cold.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2