Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1878031 - 12/12/13 03:23 PM Home Improvement - Multi Properties
Luz Offline
An application was submitted with a purpose of refinancing a mixed use property. Notes provided by the branch officer, however, indicated that improvements were being made to both the mixed-use property and another residence. The mixed-use property was primarily commercial, so, under normal circumstances the loan would not be HMDA reportable. With the knowledge of the second dwelling and the proposed home improvements, would this loan be HMDA reportable? If so, would we report the dwelling as the subject property (MSA, State...) on the LAR?

Thank you!

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#1878054 - 12/12/13 03:52 PM Re: Home Improvement - Multi Properties Luz
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
For HI you MUST report the property being improved.
You've got improvements being made to both the collateral and a residence.
But you didn't state whether the improvements on the mixed use will be done to any of the residential or just the commercial part.
If the residential part of the collateral will be improved, I'd report this as HI with the collateral address.

Return to Top
#1878063 - 12/12/13 04:05 PM Re: Home Improvement - Multi Properties Luz
Luz Offline
Based on rent rolls the mixed-use property is primarily commercial. Wouldn't that automatically remove it from the equation?

With that said, the improvements to the mixed use property were being made to the commercial space. So, if I understand correctly, in this scenario, we would show the loan as HI for the residence. Correct?

Return to Top
#1878336 - 12/12/13 11:42 PM Re: Home Improvement - Multi Properties Luz
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Correct, if you either have a lien against a dwelling
or you classify and report non dwelling secured home improvement loans.

Return to Top
#1926927 - 05/28/14 01:31 PM Re: Home Improvement - Multi Properties Luz
Compliance504 Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennessee
I need to make sure that I've been understanding HMDA correctly on the topic of multi-properties and home improvement....

We have a loan secured by a principal dwelling with the funds going towards home improvements on a second home.....I have understood that you report the location information for the property being improved...in this case we would report the location information for the second home....this is correct, isn't it?

Where I'm getting confused, for some reason, is reporting the lien status in this situation....we have been reporting the lien status of the collateral because there is no lien on the second home being improved......in doing some reading on the threads, I'm doubting if we are doing this correctly.....is it correct to report the lien status of the collateral when you are reporting the location information for the property being improved when there is no lien on the property begin improved?

Thanks for any clarification.....

Return to Top
#1926934 - 05/28/14 01:47 PM Re: Home Improvement - Multi Properties Luz
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Based on rent rolls the mixed-use property is primarily commercial. Wouldn't that automatically remove it from the equation?

No. If the improvements to the building are primarily to the residential portion then it falls under the HI definition.

See page D-5 of the GIR.

is it correct to report the lien status of the collateral when you are reporting the location information for the property being improved when there is no lien on the property begin improved?

You report the information based on the property being reported on the LAR.

Return to Top
#1926944 - 05/28/14 01:57 PM Re: Home Improvement - Multi Properties Luz
Compliance504 Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennessee
Dan....just so I understand what you are saying about reporting the lien status....

In the case of a loan secured by principal residence improving second home with no lien...are you saying that we would report lien status as unsecured? There is no lien on the property being improved....but it is secured by a dwelling.....

I am very confused now....because if it is reported as lien status unsecured....would we have to report it at all...because we don't classify these loans in a way to distinguish them by running a report that they are home improvement loans...

Return to Top
#1926951 - 05/28/14 02:06 PM Re: Home Improvement - Multi Properties Luz
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
My mistake:

Lien status is not based on the reported property. It is based on whether the loan is dwelling secured.

From the GIR:

Lien Status. For every originated loan, report whether the loan is secured by a first or subordinate lien on a dwelling or is not secured by a dwelling.

Return to Top
#1926958 - 05/28/14 02:12 PM Re: Home Improvement - Multi Properties Luz
Compliance504 Offline
Platinum Poster
Tennessee
Thank you so much for clarifying that for me, Dan, and pointing out to me how to understand what the GIR is saying....THANKS

Return to Top

Moderator:  SMQ, CRCM