Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1417508 - 07/20/10 06:58 PM Purchase of VISA Gift Cards with Cash
newbietoo Offline
100 Club
I am just full of questions today. Would the purchase of gift cards with cash in amounts of $3000 - $10000 inclusive need to be recorded on a log, like what we do for negotiable instruments?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1417532 - 07/20/10 07:25 PM Re: Purchase of VISA Gift Cards with Cash newbietoo
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The requirements for recordkeeping relating to cash purchases of negotiable instruments are found in 31 CFR Part 103, section 103.29, which is entitled "Purchases of bank checks and drafts, cashier's checks, money orders and traveler's checks." Gift cards are mentioned neither in the title nor in the text of the rule.

FinCEN has proposed that BSA/AML requirements be made applicable to certain issuers of "prepaid access." I believe that banks are not covered.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1417690 - 07/21/10 11:13 AM Re: Purchase of VISA Gift Cards with Cash newbietoo
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
There are no bank record retention requirement for prepaid access cards sold for currency. (As noted, they do not meet the definition of a monetary instrument.) In my opinion, it's a flagrant oversight because they are far more useful to money launderers and terrorist financiers than negotiable instruments ever were.

Many banks voluntarily impose restrictions on their sale to non customers and daily minimums maximums on the aggregate dollar amounts they would sell per customer. They also voluntarily impose record retention requirements parallel to those the regulations impose on the sale of monetary instruments.

Their rationale is more akin to citizenship rather than compliance.
Last edited by John Burnett; 07/21/10 11:47 AM.

Return to Top
#1417696 - 07/21/10 11:46 AM Re: Purchase of VISA Gift Cards with Cash Elwood P. Dowd
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Let me add this. If suspicious activity is noted, the bank would be required to report. Therefore, banks develop methods to identify suspicious activity in sale of gift cards.

Also - review your contract for gift cards. I have seen contracts by which the bank has agreed to check OFAC on all gift card sales - and has no idea it contractually committed itself to this requirement.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1878445 - 12/13/13 03:41 PM Re: Purchase of VISA Gift Cards with Cash newbietoo
TXBSA Offline
100 Club
TX
I know I am bringing up an old thread, however, I found it while searching for an answer, so here goes.

Since a gift card is not considered a negotiable instrument, if there is a cash purchase of VISA gift cards and it needs to be reported on a CTR, which bucket would that transaction fall into?

Return to Top
#1878463 - 12/13/13 03:56 PM Re: Purchase of VISA Gift Cards with Cash newbietoo
TXBSA Offline
100 Club
TX
Nevermind.... in my initial panic of "this is not a normal transaction," I failed to remember that there is now a "bucket" for Cash In Prepaid Access. That will be the bucket I put this transaction into. crazy

Sorry!
Last edited by TXBSA; 12/13/13 03:57 PM.
Return to Top
#1878465 - 12/13/13 03:57 PM Re: Purchase of VISA Gift Cards with Cash newbietoo
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
How about 25f?

Return to Top
#1878706 - 12/13/13 10:56 PM Re: Purchase of VISA Gift Cards with Cash newbietoo
NanaK Offline
Near the water
Newbietoo - can your core system do a monthly query, for example, using the specific tran code for gift cards? We started doing that this year. Our tellers have a special "hot key" they use when processing gift card transactions and it captures if cash was used or not, the amount, date, along with purchaser name and their checking or savings account they have with us--along with amt of fee, branch, time, etc. Sure made it easy for us.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z