Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1878384 - 12/13/13 02:05 PM CUSTOMER GAMBLING
GrannieTwo Offline
100 Club
Central IL
We have an individual customer who has begun receiving wires from the British VA for gambling winnings through an online gambling site out of Canada. The winnings are deposited into her savings account. We have counseled her, explained the risk, explained our concerns as this person lives on SS benefits. For her protection, can we close her account due to what???? We are very concerned about her as we feel like she will eventually be taken and she can't afford this. Thank you.
For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2Cor 12:10

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1878460 - 12/13/13 03:56 PM Re: CUSTOMER GAMBLING GrannieTwo
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
Your deposit contract probably gives you the right to close an account at your discretion but she is not really doing anything illegal or being victimized by a fraudster so I am not sure why you would want to proceed and close her account.

Return to Top
#1878471 - 12/13/13 04:11 PM Re: CUSTOMER GAMBLING GrannieTwo
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
even if you close here account to be helpful. The activity will pick up in the new bank if she chooses.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1878480 - 12/13/13 04:24 PM Re: CUSTOMER GAMBLING GrannieTwo
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
As suggested, review your deposit contract for language that gives you the unilateral right to close the account for a reason or reasons of your choosing.

This is not a circumstance covered by UIGEA, but the activity may still be illegal. Also, if you feel this is constitutes financial exploitation of the elderly, you may consider any reporting responsibilities you may have to the state or in connection with SAR filing.

You can't stop her from carrying on this activity at the next institution, but you can at least say that you did everything you could...

Return to Top
#1878586 - 12/13/13 07:21 PM Re: CUSTOMER GAMBLING GrannieTwo
GrannieTwo Offline
100 Club
Central IL
Thank you for your opinions and without going into details, there is more to the story.
For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2Cor 12:10

Return to Top
#1878601 - 12/13/13 07:51 PM Re: CUSTOMER GAMBLING GrannieTwo
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
Sharing the details without any revealing anything confidential would benefit us.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z