Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1874350 - 11/26/13 04:06 PM Compliance School
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Just wondering if anyone out there will be attending the Compliance Institute next year? It is offered through the Independent Community Bankers Association.

Thanks!
Last edited by JWills; 11/26/13 07:12 PM.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1874713 - 11/27/13 04:42 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
Compliance??? Offline
I will be attending the Graduate School of Compliance in October in Atlanta.

Return to Top
#1874715 - 11/27/13 04:43 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
mtngrrl Offline
Platinum Poster
mtngrrl
Northern California
I'm attending ABA's Intermediate Compliance School in March in San Diego.

Return to Top
#1877922 - 12/11/13 09:38 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas
Attending the ICBA compliance school in Dallas in February.

Return to Top
#1877995 - 12/12/13 02:02 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
Darn, will miss you two, I am attending in April in Memphis

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1878013 - 12/12/13 02:30 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I've attended the Compliance Institute a few years ago. It was definately worth it! Great school and great instructors!

Return to Top
#1878023 - 12/12/13 03:10 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
I went in 2012 to Compliance Institute in Minneapolis, and yes, the speakers were awesome! We are going back to maintain our certification, and hopefully learn much about the new changes. I think Lindsay and David are very easy to listen to.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1878026 - 12/12/13 03:18 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I think I'm doing the BSA Institute next year. I have it in my budget anyways.

Return to Top
#1878028 - 12/12/13 03:20 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
We did BSA in August in Chicago, although it is not my field, I went with our BSA officer, as she attended the Compliance Institute with me last year. We will have these two on a rotating schedule every other year.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1880373 - 12/19/13 08:46 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I was wondering for those out there that have taken the CRCM exam, is it smart to attend the intermediate school, then do the online review and eventually sit for the CRCM exam? I plan to attend the school in March but know I am not prepared to sit for the exam at that time. My goal for the exam is later in 2014. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
#1880412 - 12/19/13 10:05 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
Island Dreaming Offline
100 Club
midwest
Soccer - I think it really depends on how much experience you have.
I took the online review course that started in August 2012, then went to the ABA Compliance School in March 2013 and sat for the exam at the end of the school. Overall, I felt my 15+ years of compliance experience helped me more than the review course or the school did as alot of the exam questions were of the 'what would you do first' or 'how would you handle' variety.
Of course, everyone is different, but if you have a solid understanding of the basic technical requirements and some real world experience, you should do fine. smile

Return to Top
#1880600 - 12/20/13 04:38 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Pjps- Thanks for taking the time to answer me, I've been in banking for 26 years, 4 of which have been consumer compliance. My concern is 22 years was branch world, deposit regs are strong, I have spent the past four years strenghtening my understanding of the lending side. I think the way you did it fall study/March test might work for me.

Return to Top
#1880789 - 12/20/13 09:05 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
VWgirl21 Offline
100 Club
The Bluegrass
I had three years of regulatory audit experience before taking the test. I did the online study and then went to compliance school and sat for the test at the end of the school.

Return to Top
#1880793 - 12/20/13 09:10 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
So my question-what is the difference between the CRCM test and the CCBCO test? I have only been to the ICBA Institutes, but I see so much of the 'CRCM' on here.

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#1880844 - 12/20/13 10:22 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
trout22 Offline
Gold Star
I took the ICB online review course this fall then sat for my CRCM. I would recommend it. It gives you a comprehensive overview of all things regulatory. Carl Pry also did 10 one hour webinars over key topics. The kicker is, you have to pass each 'test' before you can move on to the next (not to say you can't guess then retake it and input the correct answers). I bet there were 50 of them!

I agree that 'real world experience' is the key... though after taking the test I wasn't sure I had passed because I knew what I would do first but never knew if it was the exam's correct approach!! smile

It's a butt-kicker. 200 questions over 4 hours. Glad I'll never have to do that again!

But I passed it on my first try and the only studying I did was 'passing' the online tests and a few hrs of review the day before the exam. I've been in banking for 10 years and compliance for 5 - those who know me said I wouldn't have any trouble with it... I passed it fairly easily, but didn't know for sure due to the subjective and applied knowledge nature of the exam until I got my results. PS - they threw out 6 questions from my version of the test. I thought that was interesting.

Return to Top
#1880933 - 12/23/13 03:10 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
JWillis: I also have the CCBCO through the ICBA, the way it has been explained to me is the CCBCO is the Bachlors Degree the CRCM is the Masters. I had a long talk this past January with my FRB EIC, her thought was she has seen many very good compliance officers without the CRCM and some real duds with it. She said if the Bank was willing to pay for it then go for it, if not she can't see the out of pocket expense, now with that being said I'm in my early 50's and Lord help me hope to be done in 10 years! No one here is pushing for it, it is something I want to achieve for me and to help my Bank by gathering as much knowledge as I can. I think I'm leaning towards online study, go to compliance school and sit after.
Trout22: Thanks for the insight, it's very helpful.

Return to Top
#1881101 - 12/23/13 09:09 PM Re: Compliance School JWills, CRCM
Island Dreaming Offline
100 Club
midwest
One additional plus to taking the online study course is that you will become familiar with how the questions (and answers) are formatted. I found that quite helpful.

Return to Top