Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1882189 - 12/31/13 05:18 PM Home Equity Adjustable 1 year "best practice"
2Confused2go on Offline
100 Club
Texas
Our bank attorney is telling us to make all our home equity loans as 1-year adjustables. Has anyone else heard about this?

I believe the thinking behind it is to insure the loan amortizes over the original term if property taxes or hazard insurance are added.

When our 3 and 5 year adjustables reprice, the new payment takes the increased principal into account.

Return to Top
#1882347 - 01/02/14 01:51 PM Re: Home Equity Adjustable 1 year "best practice" 2Confused2go on
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't understand your last statement and I have no idea why an attorney would make such a recommendation. Setting pricing is an ALM issue and not one for the legal department to be involved in.

Return to Top
#1882380 - 01/02/14 02:46 PM Re: Home Equity Adjustable 1 year "best practice" 2Confused2go on
2Confused2go on Offline
100 Club
Texas
"When our 3 and 5 year adjustables reprice, the new payment takes the increased principal into account."

For instance, if property taxes had to be added to the loan, increasing the principal in the second year after the last adjustment on a 3 year ARM- when the new payment is calculated at the adjustment date, the then current principal would be amortized over the remaining term of the note.

Return to Top
#1882422 - 01/02/14 03:47 PM Re: Home Equity Adjustable 1 year "best practice" 2Confused2go on
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
So, you add amounts to principal without re-amortizing? I would say that is a flaw in your loan agreement and it has nothing to do with pricing.

Return to Top
#1882434 - 01/02/14 04:09 PM Re: Home Equity Adjustable 1 year "best practice" 2Confused2go on
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
It is an event of default. Work out the default. Capitalize the amounts added. Modify the loan. Reamortize. (Watch the Carrington case in the Supreme Court carefully. If the SC doesn't make the correct decision, it could be a big problem for home equity loans.)

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z