BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#188276 - 05/10/04 01:39 PM South Beach Diet
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Hello everyone! I am not new to BOL, I have been lurking for quite some time.

Anyway- I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has been on the SBD? I just started yesterday. I have about 30lbs to lose, and to get my cholesterol down within 3 months. I did the Atkin's diet and had much sucess, but as I am sure many of you know- it is hard to follow! I spoke with my Dr. and she suggested doing the SBD. What do you all think? Have any of you had success? I would love to hear your input, stories, or suggestions! Oh- and of course, support!!!

Nice to meet you all.......

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#188277 - 05/10/04 01:50 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Welcome to BOL!!

I, personally, have not used the SBD, but one of our directors is on it and has lost 31 pounds so far. He looks great!

Return to Top
#188278 - 05/10/04 03:10 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Nameless Offline
100 Club
Chaos
I have not personally tried the SBD either, but a few ladies that I work with have been doing it and have had excellent results (15 - 30+ pounds) so far.

I did the "counting points" thing a few years ago and lost 50 pounds. Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon this past year and now I need to regroup and start counting again. As a matter of fact, today is my new starting day.

The biggest challenge is viewing this as a "life-style" change and not a diet. None of these diets are going to work if we don't commit to healthy eating habits for the rest of our lives.

Return to Top
#188279 - 05/10/04 03:17 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Jennyfromthebloc

I have been on the SBD since March 04. I have lost about 20 lbs and my husband has lost 40! The diet itself is pretty easy to follow, but I find it VERY EXPENSIVE! My grocery bills went from $40/week to $110/week! Nonetheless, being healthy is more important than spending a few extra bucks! There is a great website www.prevention.com to give you good information and tips on the diet as well as recipes.

Good luck to you!

Return to Top
#188280 - 05/10/04 03:19 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My husband has lost 30 pounds over the past 3 months by watching what he eats - especially lowering his fat intake - and exercising (running). He looks amazing!

Return to Top
#188281 - 05/10/04 04:50 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Nameless Offline
100 Club
Chaos
Quote:

My grocery bills went from $40/week to $110/week!

Isn't it ironic how that works. You get less in your food (sugar, fat, taste, etc.) and pay more for it!

BTW: Congratulations on you and your husband's success. Having the support group really helps!

Return to Top
#188282 - 05/10/04 04:52 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I started on the South Beach Diet around the middle of March and I am down 20 pounds. I find that I don't crave the foods I used to eat as much. It's not that hard to follow and I have had pretty good luck when eating out.

Return to Top
#188283 - 05/11/04 07:03 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Lissa P. Offline
Gold Star
Texas, USA
I am another SBD advocate! My husband (diabetic) and I are on the diet and doing great. It's really simple and easy for both us. I find that I'm not as obsessed with food every waking minute like I was while on Weight Watcher's (although I did lose 30 lbs on WW!) I still have another 10 or 15 lbs to go and the SBD is working! Good luck and hang in there!

Return to Top
#188284 - 05/11/04 08:16 PM Re: South Beach Diet
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Thank you everyone for your comments and support. I am on day 3 of the diet. So far so good. The funny thing is that I don't even feel hungry. I didn't feel like eating dinner last night, but I forced myself to! My friend started on Sunday also and she has lost 3 lbs. I made myself a promise that I wouldn't weigh myself until the end of the two weeks.

If anyone else has any comments, or suggestions my ears are open! Thanks!

Return to Top
#188285 - 05/11/04 08:36 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
A friend of mine was on the SBD for 10 days. She had to quit tho; she could not move her bowels! Hey, you don't get much fiber during the first part of that diet, which is crucial to normal bodily functions. In her case, she was in pain and decided to just to go back to her old way of eating and just downsize the portions. That worked for her.

Return to Top
#188286 - 05/11/04 09:43 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I had no problem, but I also ate a lot a salads with meals.

Return to Top
#188287 - 05/12/04 03:21 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've thought about trying the SBD but the "NO BEER" thing is impossible for me.

Return to Top
#188288 - 05/12/04 04:08 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Lissa P. Offline
Gold Star
Texas, USA
That is one of the things that makes this "diet" healthy, it's about balance. Eating plenty of vegetables keeps everything working well; it's not just protein. Also the right kind of fat...

Return to Top
#188289 - 05/12/04 04:59 PM Re: South Beach Diet
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
I thought missing beer would be hard also, but I think I can stick it out...........

Return to Top
#188290 - 05/12/04 05:04 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Diet Coke is the hard part for me. Even though it is allowed, I have really tried to limit it. ONly had about 5-6 in the last 2 months.

Return to Top
#188291 - 05/13/04 01:31 PM Re: South Beach Diet
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Well, I think the change in diet has finally hit me, and it has hit me hard. I am completely exhausted. I went home last night and crashed for the evening. I feel like a big pile of crap right now. I hope it is related to the diet and that it will pass soon. I usually walk every night, but I couldn't even find the energy to take off my work clothes, let alone walk.

Help- I am in slooooooowwwwwwww motion.

Return to Top
#188292 - 05/13/04 02:17 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Lissa P. Offline
Gold Star
Texas, USA
Aren't you around day 5 of the diet? I felt my worst on the third day, but it was closer to a week for my husband. It passed fairly quickly though, so hopefully yours will too. Make sure that you are eating enough veggies for now and then add those healthy carbs for energy as soon as you get past the first two weeks.

Return to Top
#188293 - 05/13/04 02:34 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I have had much more energy since going on the diet. I feel so much better. It's amazing what getting rid of a little blubber can do!

Return to Top
#188294 - 05/13/04 06:42 PM Re: South Beach Diet
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Yes, I am on day 5 of the diet...and all of a sudden this afternoon I have had a burst of energy. I think it was my body changing. Hopefully I won't get tired this afternoon again.

Return to Top
#188295 - 05/13/04 07:07 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Anonymous
Unregistered

I started the SBD in October of last year and have lost 75 pounds so far. I was very obese when I started, and the weight loss in the first three months was about 40 pounds. Before I started the diet, I drank up to 8 cans of Pepsi a day and survived on candy, cake and McDonalds. I also quit smoking the day I went on SB. My first two weeks were absolute he*l. My body was in complete shock over what was going on - no more sugar and no more nicotine. I actually had panic attacks and was so unbelievably tired for those first 14 days, but after my body adjusted in the third week it was all good from there. I wish I could say that I did well with the smoking, but after the 5th month I had to start doing someting again, so I decided to go back to smoking rather than my old eating habits.

My cholesterol has gone from 252 to 197 and my triglycrides went from 560 to 217!!! My doctor is amazed and happy for me - and I am too!! Of course, it wasn't just diet, I started to incorporte exercise into my routine at least three times a week.

I agree with a previous poster about the higher cost of the healthy food. Seems so much easier to grab a burger here and there than to actually cook real meat and veggies, but for me it's been worth it.

Return to Top
#188296 - 05/13/04 07:16 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Congratulations Anon on the weight loss! What an accomplishment! Keep up the great work!

Return to Top
#188297 - 05/13/04 07:18 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Congrats Anon. Sounds great. Hopefully some day you can try quitting smoking again. I know how difficult that can be, but I did it for the last time 2 1/2 years ago and don't miss them any more (well, much anyway).

Return to Top
#188298 - 05/13/04 08:17 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow! 75lbs! That is great. I am glad to hear about your success. I do have to admit, it does seem quite crazy to change everything you normally do at once though!

Thanks for sharing your thought and comments with us and congrats on getting healthy!

Return to Top
#188299 - 05/17/04 01:18 PM Re: South Beach Diet
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
I broke down and weighed myself! I lost 10lbs. last week! WHOA! I have about 25 more to go and I will be very, very happy.

Return to Top
#188300 - 05/18/04 09:14 PM Re: South Beach Diet
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am only on day 2 (and haven't cheated yet) - and was wondering if anyone has gotten extreme headaches from doing this?????

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3